Steffen Mengel completely freaks out!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Time for a six-month suspension

Six-month suspension? I would certainly agree with you, had the umpire been the target of his outburst. However, he was not, so let's stay reasonable. Yes, he lost his cool, no question about it. But I would think that Mengel is not really that stupid. He probably knew right in the moment he was kicking the towel box, that he would get into a little trouble. I don't know how the TTBL handles stuff like that usually. One or two games suspension and a fine, and that should be it (from my point of view). He was not the first and he won't be the last (unfortunately) to kick a towel box or the table...
More importantly however: Quite a few kids are present during these matches (as seen in the clip) and since these Bundesliga players (or pro players in general) are often seen as role models by these kids, situations like these should be communicated accordingly within the clubs (and in that case particularly within Mengel's club). Behaviour like this will not get you anywhere, aside from getting a suspension and a fine and making a fool of yourself (at least for a certain period of time). In fact, I would hate to see an increasing number of ten, twelve year old kids kicking tables, towel boxes and maybe people, thinking it might be cool or thinking they will get away with it since other people were getting away with that, too. It is of course the duty of the parents and the coaches to teach them that.
But as I said earlier: He kicked the towel box, he did not kick or kill the umpire, so let's stay reasonable and let it be (more or less)...

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
A fine of some sort is the usual penalty.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Six-month suspension? I would certainly agree with you, had the umpire been the target of his outburst. However, he was not, so let's stay reasonable. Yes, he lost his cool, no question about it. But I would think that Mengel is not really that stupid. He probably knew right in the moment he was kicking the towel box, that he would get into a little trouble. I don't know how the TTBL handles stuff like that usually. One or two games suspension and a fine, and that should be it (from my point of view). He was not the first and he won't be the last (unfortunately) to kick a towel box or the table...
More importantly however: Quite a few kids are present during these matches (as seen in the clip) and since these Bundesliga players (or pro players in general) are often seen as role models by these kids, situations like these should be communicated accordingly within the clubs (and in that case particularly within Mengel's club). Behaviour like this will not get you anywhere, aside from getting a suspension and a fine and making a fool of yourself (at least for a certain period of time). In fact, I would hate to see an increasing number of ten, twelve year old kids kicking tables, towel boxes and maybe people, thinking it might be cool or thinking they will get away with it since other people were getting away with that, too. It is of course the duty of the parents and the coaches to teach them that.
But as I said earlier: He kicked the towel box, he did not kick or kill the umpire, so let's stay reasonable and let it be (more or less)...
The more I look at the clip, the more I see how dangerous that kick was. He is a fully trained professional athlete, with especially trained legs. The bottom of the towel box flew by the ump's head, the corner of the box missing his face by maybe two feet. And it turns out that the umpire had already let his violent reaction to the loss slide by not whipping out a red card when he threw his racquet across the court first. I would say the primary responsibility of game officials, above all else, is maintaining a peaceful. non-violent situation in every sport, to prevent tempers flaring into danger zones. You are even admitting that Mengel propablyknew he would only get into a little trouble, but endangered the umpire anyway. What decision would he have made in that instant if he knew he would get in serious trouble? And that is why a strong punishment is required. And let all the other sports people know about it, also as a warning.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I would be perfectly okay with 6 months, but I would be disappointed with a small fine, what he did was very reckless and could have injured the umpire under certain circumstances. I think people who toss their rackets should get significant suspensions too as these could easily ricochet and hit someone with dire consequences.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Mengel 's kick was as strong as cristiano's kick in football . But here is not football pitch . There should be some standard and equall rule for his penalty . It shouldnt be consider in german league circle but they should consider ittf rules too . They should take action on mengel as it was on zhang jike . Even though zjk's kick wast harmful for anyone ...

Reactions: Lermanator
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
not to defend him in anyway as it was totally unacceptable, but to me it looks like he aims the kick away from the umpire, which backs up someone’s comment about he is being aware of what he was doing by that point.

Also, to point out the towel boxes from Stiga are made of cardboard so would need much more force that his kick to cause a major injury more likely to crumple before hitting anyone

But like I said not defending him, be interesting to see what the punishment is