Poll: Right Hand players vs. Left Hand Players

Are you right-handed or left-handed?

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Poll: Right Hand players vs. Left Hand players

Listening to NPR radio recently, a show segment mentioned that about 10% of the population is left-handed and 90% right-handed. This ratio seems dis-appropriate in TT. A much higher percent of the better players seem to be left-handed. How about intermediate and beginner players? And in baseball left-handed players, especially pitchers, command a demand unlike right-handed players. Do left-handed players have an inherent advantage?
Complete the poll and let's monitor the results. This is a public poll and available for all to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
The thought behind the post and the thread was to see if we could get enough of a sampling to see if any pattern emerges regarding RH and LF players and their proficiency. It's certainly not scientific and hopefully can be informative and possibly enlightening with enough voting. Most people have a pretty idea where they stand ranking wise so just make your best estimate. Hopefully enough people will respond and vote and post comments to keep the thread near the top. This is a thread that everyone could participate in and be a part of. And with 600+ people on this site at any given moment, and with only 12 people voting so far, let's hope interest builds and more vote.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I guess the USATT rating is preventing people from voting. I have no idea what my rating would be, for instance.
But I know I'm right handed :)

Voted below 1200 anyways, because I suck at the game :cool:
At least you were honest and voted, and posted. Just remember, there is always someone better, and lesser than you, which would mean some are suckier than you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
This is a thread that everyone could participate in and be a part of. And with 600+ people on this site at any given moment, and with only 12 people voting so far, let's hope interest builds and more vote.
No, it's not a thread everyone could participate in. How am I supposed to know what my USATT rating is? I'm not in the USA, never been in the USA, never ever intend to visit the USA.

This user has no status.
The thing is that left handed players are mainly smarter(no offense, I'm right handed :)) since they use the right side og their brains. Besides that, their natural forehands land on the backhands of right handed players which makes it really difficult for us to keep in track of the game and have control.
If you have a look at top left handed players, you realize that they often don't have high quality backhands, or they improved their backhands due to the improvement of backhand in time(such as Boll, Xu, and Mizutani).

Reactions: NewTimes
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Your comment brings up additional points in the conversation from the NPR segment. LH, in the past were persecuted believed to be different that were possessed with evil spirits, all because their motor skills were predominately controlled by the brain's right side, as RH players on the left side of the brain. Another example was how society accepted the RH predominance saying "right" to occur or agree.

Your comment brings up additional points in the conversation from the NPR segment. LH, in the past were persecuted believed to be different that were possessed with evil spirits, all because their motor skills were predominately controlled by the brain's right side, as RH players on the left side of the brain. Another example was how society accepted the RH predominance saying "right" to occur or agree.

In fact, the word sinister, used to just mean left handed, and it's usage has morphed over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
No, it's not a thread everyone could participate in. How am I supposed to know what my USATT rating is? I'm not in the USA, never been in the USA, never ever intend to visit the USA.
Here's a novel idea. Rate yourself to others and estimate where your skill level is. And you've got a 50/50 chance on guessing if you are RH or LH.

I've never had a personal stalker before. I've began posting here about 2+ weeks ago, have made 3 posts, and one party has attempted to misdirect and hijack 2 of my 3 posts. However, on this thread please post and criticize away. It will continue to keep the thread active, get more people to vote, and push it to the top. Keep posting and good luck on the 50/50 attempt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
To me, what it looks like the results show is that left handed players are more willing to overrate themselves than right handers. And right handers are more willing to underrate themselves. :)
To date, 34 have voted, a very small sampling. But so far 64.7% are righties and 35.53% lefties. That seems fairly indicative of the percentage of R/L players from my modest exposure, skill wise and self-rating aside.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl