Dimitrij Ovtcharov happy with the new DHS ABS ball!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Dimitirj Ovtcharov announces huge game changer! Today on Instagram Dimitrij Ovtcharov made a status to say he is very happy with the new ball DHS rolled out recently, the DHS ABS.

In a status Dimitrij Ovtcharov expressed, I am currently practicing with the new DHS ABS ball for the upcoming World Tour events and it's going great. Have you heard about it? It jumps regularly and its very hard and round. This is a huge improvement for plastic balls to what we have been using latel where they break often. Donic will also start to have the same quality as the ABS balls in a few weeks. A great step for improving table tennis!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FDHSSports%2Fvideos%2F279463252466184%2F&show_text=0&width=400" width="400" height="400" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Dimitirj Ovtcharov announces huge game changer! Today on Instagram Dimitrij Ovtcharov made a status to say he is very happy with the new ball DHS rolled out recently, the DHS ABS.

In a status Dimitrij Ovtcharov expressed, I am currently practicing with the new DHS ABS ball for the upcoming World Tour events and it's going great. Have you heard about it? It jumps regularly and its very hard and round. This is a huge improvement for plastic balls to what we have been using latel where they break often. DOnic will also start to have the same quality as the ABS balls in a few weeks. A great step for improving table tennis!

Link here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSQL93RDqE6/?taken-by=dimaovtcharov

I think Baal got there first. He reviewed this ball a few weeks ago. I think this will be a big thing for Poly ball TT. I think Baal even said he liked this ball better than the Nittaku Premium.

Reactions: BeGo and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Great news!

I bought a batch of these after reading Baal's review and they are very impressive, up there with Nittaku Premium for sure. The problem I've had is that nobody want's to try them out over the Xushaofa and Butterfly 40+ balls that are used in the local leagues.

Hopefully this endorsement will raise the profile and kill off the bad reviews the earlier batches had.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Great ball, but adds another wrinkle to the ball zoo. I wish leagues would have the foresight to standardise on the type of ball, because the ITTF don't seem that bothered that there are so many different types of ball floating around at the moment. I like the D40+, seamless, and NP40+ while really disliking the original DHS ball and G40+, but I'd take using any of them consistently each week instead of changing all the time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Great ball, but adds another wrinkle to the ball zoo. I wish leagues would have the foresight to standardise on the type of ball, because the ITTF don't seem that bothered that there are so many different types of ball floating around at the moment. I like the D40+, seamless, and NP40+ while really disliking the original DHS ball and G40+, but I'd take using any of them consistently each week instead of changing all the time.

Actually there are not that many balls on the market.

Seamless (all made by same factory)
First generation DHS (DHS 40+, and many rebranded like Andro, Donic etc)
New Generation DHS D40+ (will be sold rebranded too starting in a few weeks)
Butterfly G40+ (sucks)
Nittaku Premium 40+

So the old DHS will leave the market soon, so we will have 4 types of balls of which 2 are very similar (D40+ and NP+). Maybe Butterfly will also change later, they ball sucks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Butterfly G40+ (sucks)
Nittaku Premium 40+

So the old DHS will leave the market soon, so we will have 4 types of balls of which 2 are very similar (D40+ and NP+). Maybe Butterfly will also change later, they ball sucks.

What about Double Fish? Did the Double Fish factory stop making bad balls that are 3 star rated?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

Butterfly G40+ (sucks)
Nittaku Premium 40+

Sure, not that many balls on the market. What?

Eventually the first-gen DHS balls will self-destruct (shouldn't take too long). But in the meantime, I can turn up to an away match and any of these 5 ball types could be used, with no prior warning. And they're all different enough to require adjustment time.

The point being, of course, that we currently have 5 types of ball which use quite different material and manufacturing processes. Whereas in the past we had only subtle variation in celluloid balls. Plus an orange option! Even with decent plastic balls on the market now, we are still a long way from the convenience and consistency of the celluloid era.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Okay well I think no one in Germany uses them, have never seen them. Here everyone plays (if using plastic) with DHS rebranded (the shitty ones) and will change (without realizing it) to the new D40+ rebranded ones. A few use Nittaku and very few use seamless but that's just a minority, negligible. So 95% of the balls you will use here will be the new DHS or the Nittaku soon, which are similar anyway. I understand that might be different in the US/UK.

Butterfly have their own factory for G40 balls? I need to try this ABS ball. I struggle with the other ones.

Yes and it sucks, it's made in Germany by a company called Weener

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Do we have a link to anywhere to buy the new DHS ABS ball for testing? Preferably UK or Europe. I had a quick google but couldn't see anything obvious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sure, not that many balls on the market. What?

Eventually the first-gen DHS balls will self-destruct (shouldn't take too long). But in the meantime, I can turn up to an away match and any of these 5 ball types could be used, with no prior warning. And they're all different enough to require adjustment time.

The point being, of course, that we currently have 5 types of ball which use quite different material and manufacturing processes. Whereas in the past we had only subtle variation in celluloid balls. Plus an orange option! Even with decent plastic balls on the market now, we are still a long way from the convenience and consistency of the celluloid era.

Prices will exterminate the other balls. These balls are as cheap as 55 cents per ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Prices will exterminate the other balls. These balls are as cheap as 55 cents per ball.

Two things - will the price stay that low (and subquestion - will the rebranded ones be as low?), and it might take a looong time if clubs have purchased bulk loads of other balls (we got 144 seamless several years ago and still have 2/3 left).

But hopefully!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Okay well I think no one in Germany uses them, have never seen them. Here everyone plays (if using plastic) with DHS rebranded (the shitty ones) and will change (without realizing it) to the new D40+ rebranded ones. A few use Nittaku and very few use seamless but that's just a minority, negligible. So 95% of the balls you will use here will be the new DHS or the Nittaku soon, which are similar anyway. I understand that might be different in the US/UK.

Yes and it sucks, it's made in Germany by a company called Weener

I can't agree. Our club still uses the same bag of balls i've ordered last year and i guess it's still about 120 left from a box of 144.
I haven't heard many complaints about them except for the weird sound they make.

Attachments

• IMG-20151013-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20151013-WA0001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Two things - will the price stay that low (and subquestion - will the rebranded ones be as low?), and it might take a looong time if clubs have purchased bulk loads of other balls (we got 144 seamless several years ago and still have 2/3 left).

But hopefully!

I think so. China has managed to reduce the cost of many thing - TT Balls are no exception, and they didn't come up with the intellectual property for this. The re-branded ones will be close enough - V40 is cheaper for example, and I expect others to be more expensive but close. And once the pros use them, they won't want to use other stuff and what the pros and tournaments use tends to drive a lot of stuff. DHS balls would have won out but lost because of price and quality the first time round. It's not the case this time.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
We've had a thread on this for awhile here. TT11 says they will be selling the D40+ balls in April. Soon it will be obvious to nearly everyone that this is a good ball.

Some will continue to complain and demand celluloid balls. Or 38 mm. Or whatever.

Anyway Dima's endorsement will put to rest a lot of aggressive comments I was getting at two other forums (not here) where some implied that I simply must not be a good player if I am endorsing these balls because you can't spin them and pros will hate them.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Some other things about this ball. It it pretty much unbreakable. It is 2.76 grams (0.08 g heavier than Nittaku, about same as seamless). Otherwise plays like a Nittaku, since made of same material. Dusty. Very inexpensive. Very round. Bounce height identical to celluloid and Nittaku, slightly lower than seamless, quite a bit higher than cellulose acetate 40+.Easy to transition between D40+ and Nittaku, actually takes awhile to learn to discern the difference. They don't play exactly identically, but so close that it doesnt really matter much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
We've had a thread on this for awhile here. Tt11 says they will be selling the D40+ balls in April. Soon it will be obvious to nearly everyone that this is a good ball.

Some will continue to complain and demand celluloid balls. Or 38 mm. Or whatever.

Anyway Dima's endorsement will put to rest a lot of aggressive comments I was getting at two other forums (not here) where some implied that I simply must not be a good player if I am endorsing these balls because you can't spin them and pros will hate them.

Baal, you hit with Kewei Li, Viktor Subonj and Niraj Oak at your club. They also gave their opinions. Does it require Dima to show how silly those guys are? Guys who have never shown video on how they play yet repeatedly make silly statements not worth discussing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Some other things about this ball. It it pretty much unbreakable. It is 2.76 grams (0.08 g heavier than Nittaku, about same as seamless). Otherwise plays like a Nittaku, since made of same material. Dusty. Very inexpensive. Very round. Bounce height identical to celluloid and Nittaku, slightly lower than seamless, quite a bit higher than cellulose acetate 40+.Easy to transition between D40+ and Nittaku, actually takes awhile to learn to discern the difference. They don't play exactly identically, but so close that it doesnt really matter much.

The unbreakability is underestimated. It is really going to change the game.