Fan Zhendong using Hurricane on backhand: Interview

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I saw this on another website, a translation of the article below from the Chinese TT Magazine.

It says that Wu jingping has confirmed that Fan Zhendong is using Hurricane on his backhand. He has chose to do this as Fan Zhendong feels he has to have more brush technique than hitting with the new ball. You have to rely on producing your own power rather than relying on rebound or incoming power from your opponent.

Xu Xin switched from Hurricane to Butterfly and is now back to Hurricane.

fanzhendongbh.jpg

If the Chinese keep up with this change using tacky rubbers on the backhand could we see an increase in players buying Chinese tacky rubbers for the backhand?

Last edited:
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Wow thats very intereting! This might encourage players to use more tacky backhand rubbers...i had a year or so off just before the new ball came in and then playing with the new ball now is obviously different and i do feel the player has to put a lot more effort into the technique of the shot in order to get a quality ball on. Im now thinking of getting a blade with higher throw and more arc with more speed but i might also need to consider some tackier rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Wow thats very intereting! This might encourage players to use more tacky backhand rubbers...i had a year or so off just before the new ball came in and then playing with the new ball now is obviously different and i do feel the player has to put a lot more effort into the technique of the shot in order to get a quality ball on. Im now thinking of getting a blade with higher throw and more arc with more speed but i might also need to consider some tackier rubbers
Mr Ripper
Tackier rubber will also help your serve. You should try Boosted H3 on FH

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
I saw this on another website, a translation of the article below from the Chinese TT Magazine.

It says that Wu jingping has confirmed that Fan Zhendong is using Hurricane on his backhand. He has chose to do this as Fan Zhendong feels he has to have more brush technique than hitting with the new ball. You have to rely on producing your own power rather than relying on rebound or incoming power from your opponent.

Xu Xin switched from Hurricane to Butterfly and is now back to Hurricane.

View attachment 9135

If the Chinese keep up with this change using tacky rubbers on the backhand could we see an increase in players buying Chinese tacky rubbers for the backhand?

Yes, I heard the news from my friend, which is true. Everyone can see how good is malong's bh at the moment. He changed to hurricane 3 on bh since world championship in Suzhou last year. And he plays really well with it now.

The bh rubber is custom made by DHS, sponge is soft, 37 degree, color is a bit orange and pink, but different from tenergy's, still needs boost. Photos are attached. The one i am showing is for their daily training. But I think it depends what kind of style you are, like the article says, hurricane needs yourself to put effort on it, then the rubber will help you. Which one do you want from your game, more bh drive or put more spin on the ball?

Maybe you could let your coach to get some these rubbers? Have a try.:)
DSC_0275.jpgIMG-20160201-WA0000.jpgIMG-20160201-WA0001.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yes, it is. I think I put the rubber for sale on TTD before.

Well, then i must have missed that. Too bad, I just ordered myself a new Yasaka Rising Dragon i want to test. But in a couple of weeks that might be interesting. Would you mind if i pm you then?

Last edited:
Oct 2015
Well, then i must have missed that. Too bad, I just ordered myself a new Yasaka Rising Dragon i want to test. But in a couple of weeks that might be interesting. Would you mind if i pm you then?

No problem. I got a couple of brand new sheets left. So let me know. :)

Reactions: Suga D
No problem. I got a couple of brand new sheets left. So let me know. :)

What do you think of it? how does it compare to H3 blue sponge? In the spirit of the thread, would it be suitable for people looking to using hurricane on their backhands but who don't have the power and technique of pros to just use H3 orange sponge on their backhand?

Oct 2015
Another new forehand weapon from DHS – hurricane 8, which is designed for 40+ new plastic ball and has the same characteristic as hurricane 3. The top sheet is a bit harder, which increases the speed and power. The pimples are slightly smaller and the space between each other is getting bigger, which brings more control and gets more dwell time.

If you don't have the right tech, i don't recommend you use hurricane on bh, same as fh to be honest.

Another new forehand weapon from DHS – hurricane 8, which is designed for 40+ new plastic ball and has the same characteristic as hurricane 3. The top sheet is a bit harder, which increases the speed and power. The pimples are slightly smaller and the space between each other is getting bigger, which brings more control and gets more dwell time.

If you don't have the right tech, i don't recommend you use hurricane on bh, same as fh to be honest.

Thanks. I've been using Nittaku Hurricane 3 neo on my backhand for a couple of weeks now (not because of the CNT, I had it on my forehand, was training and thought I'd just try it on the backhand and surprisingly liked it). Is this the same blue sponge that comes on H3 blue sponge? What's the hardness of the sheets you have?

Oct 2015
Chinese tacky rubber, when you put it on your bh, you will feel a bit slow and with more control, compare to western rubbers, which is bouncy. Nittaku hurricane 3 on bh is slightly hard I guess.

Yes, blue sponge is the same, top sheet is different. Hardness is 39 degree.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A few things that are worth understanding. The guys from the CNT who are using H3 on their BHs are using the H3 topsheet with a different and softer sponge. There is a reason they are not using the harder sponge on BH.

I know this was already said. But it should be emphasized. That is H3 with, I think, the #60 sponge. And then it is boosted.

The other thing to know is that, the rubbers they are using, on both FH and BH, Dimitri Ovtcharov and Marcos Feitas have both said they can't get them. Pretty hard to get the real thing.

But something I heard from somewhere, the CNT rejected the H8 rubbers for the team. So, there shouldn't be any such thing as an H8 National rubber unless they recently decided to accept H8 for the National team.

Is anyone on CNT using H8? There could be. Anyone know?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
A few things that are worth understanding. The guys from the CNT who are using H3 on their BHs are using the H3 topsheet with a different and softer sponge. There is a reason they are not using the harder sponge on BH.

I know this was already said. But it should be emphasized. That is H3 with, I think, the #60 sponge. And then it is boosted.

The other thing to know is that, the rubbers they are using, on both FH and BH, Dimitri Ovtcharov and Marcos Feitas have both said they can't get them. Pretty hard to get the real thing.

But something I heard from somewhere, the CNT rejected the H8 rubbers for the team. So, there shouldn't be any such thing as an H8 National rubber unless they recently decided to accept H8 for the National team.

I know Ding Ning used Hurricane 8 during 2014 Women's World Cup. Not sure what she is using now.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews

There is a rumor going on that Ding Ning is using H8 but with the orange sponge. The H8 might come in a BS version, but in which quality no one knows. Perhaps Chen Chen could elaborate?

I got some National cleaner for my rubber which I got from the National team here. It made my rubbers national... Gotta go...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hehe, carl and giang are actually right on spot.
But man, i think i really got infected. :)

But I just received a sheet of a used GENUINE National Hurricane3 from a friend who played at the German Open and got it from someone from the CNT. He just couldn't remember from who it was.
If i post a pic of it later, maybe you guys can tell whose rubber it was from the stamp on it... Is that possible?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Oct 2015

On the market, the hurricane 3 neo or skyline 3 neo is the only one you can use voc-free glue with it, plus tinarc series. Using neo version sponge. The rest of the products you have seen, you have to use NON voc-free glue with it, which is not approved by ITTF now. And the rubber has to be boosted. But the neo version sponge, you don't need to boost necessarily.

The bh malong rubber, is neo version sponge, not #60 sponge, the color is yellow. Photos are attached. DHS custom made hurrciane 3-50.IMG-20160202-WA0003.jpgIMG-20160202-WA0004.jpgIMG-20160202-WA0005.jpg

If you dont have the right contact in china, how are you gonna get the custom made stuff not for sale on the market? or you will get the second hand one as a gift from the players they know very well. And DHS is not doing a great marketing job out of china.

Last edited: