which pip should I use ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Jpen twiddling? Is that even possible?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
These different types of rubbers were created to suit all of the different styles of play that exist (hitter, looper, chopper, etc) and also you should take into consideration the player’s grip (shakehand aka classic, Chinese penholder or Japanese penholder). Since you're just starting out I'm going to assume you play with a classic grip.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
hey guys , im a a beginner (jpen) and recently i learned to twiddle my racket and i was think in getting some sort of pips as a backhand rubber to give me some advantage what do you guys think ? or should i wait until i develop my playstyle a little more ?

I guess I will explain things a few ways:

1st: What Lula said is optimal if your goal is to improve and become a player with decent skills. If you want to develop skills and become a decent level player, it is worth developing your technique with smooth rubbers on both sides until you are a decently high level and are fairly competent at ALL strokes with smooth rubber. Then when you switch to a specialty surface, it is because you actually know how you want to play and you already have the underlying skills. If you start playing with pips before you develop a reasonable level of skill, you will be stuck with what you can learn and do with the material you have chosen.

Since you are playing JPen which means you are using one rubber at a time for FH and BH and would only use the pips when you twiddle, you may be able to get away with this. But it still will confuse your technique a little and slow your development a little. So, if you goal is to get as good as you can over the long run, you would still be better off waiting till your at a decently high level before you start adding pips for strategy.

However, if you don't really care about the long term prospects of how good you can get, and just want to win a few free points by tricking an opponent with a mediocre shot that causes them to mess up, if the issue is winning a few extra free points and winning a few more games, against players at your current level, then it would be fine.

However, if you take the long term approach, when you have developed the fundamentals to a decent level and start learning (for real) how to use pips (if at that time you decide you still would like to), then you will be learning a new skill that could be valuable to your continued development. Whereas, getting pips too soon, in the long run, will limit your potential growth in the sport.

And in the end, that is your choice.

Reactions: splasher78
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
These different types of rubbers were created to suit all of the different styles of play that exist (hitter, looper, chopper, etc) and also you should take into consideration the player’s grip (shakehand aka classic, Chinese penholder or Japanese penholder). Since you're just starting out I'm going to assume you play with a classic grip.

Are you a human or are you a bot?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ofcourse I am Human, btw why you ask this question?

Well, the first thing was your username: bustbuymall sounds like an advertisement.

The second thing is the post sounded like a formula and did not actually answer the question from the OP: should OP use some kind of pips on one side?

The third thing is, after listing the grip types you said you were going to assume he was a classic grip (shakehand) when he says in his post that he is JPen.

And since there are a lot of bots on the site, I wanted to make sure you were not one of them since your post looked very much like what a spambot starts with before they start posting links.

But since you answered me, you probably are not.

Now, do you think the OP should try Pips on one side if he/she is JPen?

Reactions: splasher78