Xiom Tau II

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Tuesday evening I played with Tau 2 on a Primorac all wood blade for a 1 hr practice session with our coach.
I got on very well with this set up, found it easy to use after mainly using Acoustic inner with Rakza Z recently.
Topspin was pretty consistent and heavy spin, the ball is really dragged down onto the table, not many balls went long. Speed is generally faster than H3N but not vastly faster.
Throw angle seemed to be (for me) medium-ish, nowhere as high as Rakza Z, similar to H3N.
Short game control is great, pushes with high back spin without really trying, we were doing some short serve, short push return, 3rd ball short push 4th ball long push to either BH/FH and then topspin v backspin open up or if possible close to the table loop kill against the long push.
many short push errors were made by coach!! There was a little more backspin on the ball than he was expecting during serve return and long push!!
My FH topspin open ups were good, fairly tight to net and good spin, I found I could really control angles very well and place the ball where I wanted (considering my level of play) I think that this was the reason I put a good number of balls past the coach, some strong angles cross table.
Tau 2 feels softer than H3N, harder than Rakza Z
Blocking was very good as well, when blocking coaches topspin and loops my returns were pretty consistent and precise.
One thing I noticed is that when we were warming up FH topspin, the ball sometimes felt like it ‘fell’ of the rubber straight into the net, more likely my poor stroke causes this, happens with H3N as well, but way less with Rakza Z and for me ESN / Spring sponge rubbers, that bit of extra bounce takes the ball over more.

Tau 2 is pretty close to H3N as far as general characteristics are concerned, but more bounce and speed, less tackiness (slightly).
so if you want a close alternative to a tacky Chinese rubber then this could be the one for you!!
Very nice rubber, worth the wait getting it!!! shame it’s not readily available in Europe, it should be, listen up Xiom!! (Ditto Ying and Guang rubbers!!)

Tuesday evening I played with Tau 2 on a Primorac all wood blade for a 1 hr practice session with our coach.
I got on very well with this set up, found it easy to use after mainly using Acoustic inner with Rakza Z recently.
Topspin was pretty consistent and heavy spin, the ball is really dragged down onto the table, not many balls went long. Speed is generally faster than H3N but not vastly faster.
Throw angle seemed to be (for me) medium-ish, nowhere as high as Rakza Z, similar to H3N.
Short game control is great, pushes with high back spin without really trying, we were doing some short serve, short push return, 3rd ball short push 4th ball long push to either BH/FH and then topspin v backspin open up or if possible close to the table loop kill against the long push.
many short push errors were made by coach!! There was a little more backspin on the ball than he was expecting during serve return and long push!!
My FH topspin open ups were good, fairly tight to net and good spin, I found I could really control angles very well and place the ball where I wanted (considering my level of play) I think that this was the reason I put a good number of balls past the coach, some strong angles cross table.
Tau 2 feels softer than H3N, harder than Rakza Z
Blocking was very good as well, when blocking coaches topspin and loops my returns were pretty consistent and precise.
One thing I noticed is that when we were warming up FH topspin, the ball sometimes felt like it ‘fell’ of the rubber straight into the net, more likely my poor stroke causes this, happens with H3N as well, but way less with Rakza Z and for me ESN / Spring sponge rubbers, that bit of extra bounce takes the ball over more.

Tau 2 is pretty close to H3N as far as general characteristics are concerned, but more bounce and speed, less tackiness (slightly).
so if you want a close alternative to a tacky Chinese rubber then this could be the one for you!!
Very nice rubber, worth the wait getting it!!! shame it’s not readily available in Europe, it should be, listen up Xiom!! (Ditto Ying and Guang rubbers!!)

glad you like it. try brushing the more ball more and engage the sponge more with a more forward motion at at 30 degree angle.

Reactions: IB66
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
DHS no 15 is also a very strong glue, and when used in a number of layers forms a thick very ‘rubbery’ layer. Which is something some players really like, but I’ve found it to be a ‘pig’ to remove!!

Same with Stiga Attach Power Glue, strong, but hard to peel. I'm now trying 2 layers of Revolution No 3 on sponge and 1 layer of Stiga Attach Power Glue on blade (and booster directly on sponge (tip from Tango K)). Curious how the peeling will be...

what do you think about using the Omega V Pro as BH

also I'm still amazed even after 5 months or so , my Tau 2 is still able to pick up a ball for a few seconds

Omega V Pro is faster by a good margin vs Tau II. These rubbers are apples and oranges difference.

Reactions: tt_beginner
This user has no status.
First session tonight with the Tau 2 on fh and bh. Rubber was so good that I bought another one right after the session...

Loaded with spin, and the ball sticks to the table so very safe, not many balls were sent too long. At my biggest surprise, it felt very good on the backhand. So easy to topspin constantly with it !
I liked it on the forehand too, but you really need to compress the sponge in order to have a "kick" (same apply for bh).

Compared to Bluegrip C2, Tau 2 was a tad spinnier (not sure), lower throw (still medium I guess if Bluegrip C2 is high) but felt safer because of a more curved ball and shorter ball trajectory.

Will see how it plays in match, because the practice session tonight was only fh/bh topspin on a return board...

Did I mention the price ? 30€ + free shipping on AliExpress. Unbeatable !

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
If they release it worldwide, then no one will get the OVII China Guang/China Ying/Hyper. 😑

Reactions: MK73
Hi Yogi,

Have you tried boosting Tau 2 ?

Cheers.

Yes. Tried 2 layers seamoon but only after a month of using it because I was afraid it might feel different. It became softer but somewhat more bouncy.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
How do Tau 2 and Omega 7 Asia differ please Yogi and any other forum members who have played both?.
Thanks....