Viscaria for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hello everyone, a friend of mine gave me a Viscaria and i would like to ask if a beginner like me can use it. I plan to put butterfly sriver on the FH and Flextra on the BH. Would this be okay? I read that the rubbers i mentioned are for beginners.
I have played table tennis just for recreation when i was in college but would like to play again with serious coaching to be able to hone my skill.
your thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Sure, why not. Just play with it for a while, if you find it too hard to control then it means it’s not for you right now, you can then buy another blade and take the rubbers off your Viscaria and put it on that blade, but if you can control it just fine, then keep using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Sure, why not. Just play with it for a while, if you find it too hard to control then it means it’s not for you right now, you can then buy another blade and take the rubbers off your Viscaria and put it on that blade, but if you can control it just fine, then keep using it.
Thank you. Will the rubbers i mentioned be okay or do you have any suggestions. Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I don't love those rubbers, at least not the flextra. That's what I started with as a beginner and it wasted some time. You said 'serious coaching' which is fantastic. Find a coach and ask him what rubbers to start with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
The Sriver rubbers were great when I played them in the 1970's, but today I would recommend a toned down non-tacky rubber like the Yinhe Moon, DHS GoldArc 5, Yasaka Rakza 7, or Nittaku FastArc G-1 (maybe too fast but very well controlled). The Viscaria blade is too fast for a beginner and you won't do well in tournaments for a few years if you play with it. You are better off buying a cost-effective 5-ply blade like the Yinhe E3 (Limba top, Spruce second) and using the Butterfly Viscaria as decoration in the meantime.

I think sriver on a Viscaria is an excellent choice for a restart. I had a 45 year break and restarted with sriver on a primorac carbon which is faster than a viscaria. I had no problem with control. That will last for almost a year and then you can think of something else. But I must say that today MarkV is a better choice than Sriver.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Depends on your goal as a table tennis player and if you want to play offensively. If you just want to have some fun and just get the ball over the table, it doesn't matter really what you use. If you want to get good and play in the style of most professionals, then I would absolutely stay away from Sriver/Flextra and MarkV or any of those outdated meme rubbers or you will find yourself regretting it when you realize how much bad habits they will give you and what a failure you will feel like when you try to emulate those modern backhand flicks agains underspin serves or try to loop long underspin balls. The game has changed due to the larger plastic balls and those softer less spinny 50 year old technology rubbers will not allow a modern offensive style. Even if you are a beginner, starting off with spinny and at least a medium hard rubber is the way to go. The rubber can be slower but you will need spin to learn how to put quality on the ball and what kinds of magic spin can do to the ball. Go with Hurricane 3 regular or Neo on your forehand and Hurricane 3-50 or some decent mid hard ESN rubber on the back hand like the aforementioned Fastarc G-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: deanrazorbak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Depends on your goal as a table tennis player and if you want to play offensively. If you just want to have some fun and just get the ball over the table, it doesn't matter really what you use. If you want to get good and play in the style of most professionals, then I would absolutely stay away from Sriver/Flextra and MarkV or any of those outdated meme rubbers or you will find yourself regretting it when you realize how much bad habits they will give you and what a failure you will feel like when you try to emulate those modern backhand flicks agains underspin serves or try to loop long underspin balls. The game has changed due to the larger plastic balls and those softer less spinny 50 year old technology rubbers will not allow a modern offensive style. Even if you are a beginner, starting off with spinny and at least a medium hard rubber is the way to go. The rubber can be slower but you will need spin to learn how to put quality on the ball and what kinds of magic spin can do to the ball. Go with Hurricane 3 regular or Neo on your forehand and Hurricane 3-50 or some decent mid hard ESN rubber on the back hand like the aforementioned Fastarc G-1.
A lot of players have suggested DHS rubbers. Im really considering it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I have a blade similar to a Viscaria and i play with Yinhe Big Dipper on both side. It's a fun setup, not too fast and spinny. I think it's good to develop technique. For the price of these rubbers maybe you could try it.

says .
says .
Feb 2019
Read 2 reviews
Sorry guys, but it’s really unbelievable and questionable , that you’re advising a Viscaria blade to a beginner. Viscaria is definitely not for beginners since it’s a fast and stiff blade which does NOT support the development of an appropriate technique. It’s the opposite way. Using such blades too early, hinders you from ever learning a good technique. This in fact means, that most of the players out there will never be able to control such a blade properly. Most people using such fast blades suffer from using them and would be much better with slower blades.
By the way: my personal rating is above 1800 German ttr, being and equivalent of more than 2100 USA ttr, and I Still play with a slower blade than Viscaria…

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
Sorry guys, but it’s really unbelievable and questionable , that you’re advising a Viscaria blade to a beginner. Viscaria is definitely not for beginners since it’s a fast and stiff blade which does NOT support the development of an appropriate technique. It’s the opposite way. Using such blades too early, hinders you from ever learning a good technique. This in fact means, that most of the players out there will never be able to control such a blade properly. Most people using such fast blades suffer from using them and would be much better with slower blades.
By the way: my personal rating is above 1800 German ttr, being and equivalent of more than 2100 USA ttr, and I Still play with a slower blade than Viscaria…

it is a personal thing because everyone learns in a different curve.
there is a member Michael Zhang who is eager to learn everything about equipment - the OP should reach out to him...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Get a Hurricane neo 3 around 39 degree for forehand and maybe Rasanter R42 for backhand so you can develop your stroke efficiently. I wont recommend the 2 rubbers you mentioned.I came back to TT after 15 years pause and after 8 months of practice I‘m now a topspin machine with Viscaria.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Matter of mindset and preference dude. All european fellows in my club share the same mindset at yours. I‘m not against it but it‘s just one of several options to approach the sport.

I made a 15 years pause and came back with Viscaria, h3neo and ten05. With this combo I have a lot of control over my ball. One who is already familiar with Vis with realise this blade isn‘t fast. It just has a lot of gears,which depends solely on your own control over it. Still better than using a slow blade and hurt yourself trying to archive a topspin with pro‘s speed

Hey, he already got a Viscaria as a gift and he is not a complete beginner… So given the right rubber it should be fine. I started (after a 45 year break ) with a Primorac Carbon that was also given to me. No problem with Sriver and after some time Rakza 7 soft. I don’t think it’s gonna be a problem.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Get a Hurricane neo 3 around 39 degree for forehand and maybe Rasanter R42 for backhand so you can develop your stroke efficiently. I wont recommend the 2 rubbers you mentioned.I came back to TT after 15 years pause and after 8 months of practice I‘m now a topspin machine with Viscaria.
How about the Rozena? I heard it's a toned down version of the tenergy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Can't agree more. Since you're really into Butterfly products, get an ALL/ALL+blade first : XStar V, if not fast enough then the Falcima ( it's the same construction, the core ply being thicker for more reaction, blade's is therefore thicker overall). The Rozena on both sides with 1.9mm thickness will be controlable with those blades.