benefits of playing with hurricane 3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

I understand that the speed of well boosted hurricane 3 is equal to modern tensors. But what is the benefit of playing with rubbers like dhs hurricane 3 compared to hard esn rubbers. Does hurricane 3 have more spin and control?Please explain

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
H3 effectively cures you from any EJ virus. I compare it to 照妖鏡, literally "evil-exposing mirror", which is an item from ancient Chinese mythology. In essence, Chinese tacky rubber works by the principle of "table tennis with Chinese characteristics." To quote a Chinese proverb:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/一分耕耘,一分收穫
一分耕耘,一分收穫
1. One gets out what one puts in; sow the wind, reap the whirlwind
2. The more one works at something, the better the results

It doesn't amplify your input. It doesn't offer any catapult or trampoline. It doesn't bite the ball. It doesn't store and/or return the incoming speed and spin of the ball. It doesn't bottom out. It acts like a shadow of yourself if you don't give a 100%, kinda like an open loop control system.

kKHN8X4.gif

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
H3 is the king of passive backspin shots: pushes and chops against spins of all kinds. If you want to drop a side-top service short, H3 is the best rubber for it. It is almost like a defensive rubber in this regard. Also it has a distinctive trajectory on topspin shots different from everything else. Some people get bamboozled by it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So you mean to say it is only spinnier than esn only on brush loops against backspin?
IMHO it works best for brushy loops against backspin, those are probably spinnier than ones by ESN rubbers. Topspin against block is meh and hitting high balls with it just sucks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
what about boosted hurricane 3?Is it better than esn rubbers?

It all depends on the player, there's a reason almost all European players do not play with Chinese rubbers.

To fully use chinese rubbers, you need the correct technique for it; It requires clean technique, with proper weight transfer etc.

Some people, including me, feel like it's really tiring to play with Chinese rubber; cause you have to use your full body to get speed etc. This is not the case with, for example, ESN rubbers.

This user has no status.
One needs to consider the following when choosing to play with H3.

1. The rubber feels dead when not boosted. We know the pros boost them, and if they need to boost, definitely you will need to boost to unleash its strength. Do you want to deal with the hassle of boosting from time to time? We are talking about every few weeks if you go with the best boosters (Kailin, Dianchi). If you use FTL, it'll last a few months but the effect may not be the best. Do you even live in an area that you can easily source Chinese boosters? I'd say every 2000+ rated players I've met locally using H3 boosts religiously. Some still use speed glue a day before the tournament.
2. Are you prepared to deal with the changing characteristics of the rubber as your booster wears off?
3. Do you have the physique and technique to use H3? If you did not have a solid training when you were young (teenage years), I'd say it'll be very difficult for you to master a good footwork and weight transfer required for H3. Also, depending on your age, it simply makes no sense to switch to H3 and re-learn your stroke.

A lot of the benefits have already been mentioned so I won't repeat, but you need to know that these benefits don't automatically come when you switch to H3. They require a lot of hard work and for most people who didn't grow up training with H3, Euro/Jap rubbers will your best bet. At your level, you can generate even more spin and speed with these rubbers. Don't get carried away by CNT dominating the world using H3. They practice easily 2-3x than any other professionals.

Last edited:
I think one advantage many people are not mentioning is the lack of significant catapult effect.

Pretty much any non-chinese rubber that can perform as well has H3 in high energy shots also have a strong catapult effect.

Catapult effect won't be too much of a nuisance at high energy, but when you are also trying to play short touch play it can be hard to be as precise as the very linear H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I use to have the EJ bug. And have tried several Chinese Tacky rubbers and a 1-2 ESN euro rubbers throughout the years. In the end H3 is my favorite. I prefer tacky topsheets for my game and despite there being tons of Chiese tacky rubbers to choose from, I think H3 is the most popular for a reason. So I finally did away with the EJ thing quite some time ago and just ran with H3 Neo commercial consistently. I like it and it's inexpensive enough to where I can buy it fairly frequently with no worries in regards to cost I'm putting down.

Reactions: lasta