Viscaria vs Yinhe V14 Pro

Hello everyone.

Hope you are all safe.There have been a few comparisons between these two blades as the V14 is considered a clone of the Viscaria / TB ALC ,with essentially the same composition.Can anyone who has used both explain where the Viscaria excels when comparing the two (assuming you believe it does). What would you say is the difference between the two in terms of feel,speed,consistency,durability etc.?Any feedback would be appreciated.Thanks much.

Last edited:
Viscaria has still better quality and finish. V14 sometimes a softer feel. This is after using 3 different v14s and 2 viscaria.

Thanks man. Would you say that softer feel gives a bit more control ? Also when you speak about the blade's finish ,are you referring to the aesthetics of the blade or something more?

Thanks man. Would you say that softer feel gives a bit more control ? Also when you speak about the blade's finish ,are you referring to the aesthetics of the blade or something more?

Not necessary. I had a blade with the same composition as viscaria but softer and yet the speed is not slower. Finishing is more on aesthetics.

Reactions: JJ Ng and JBH7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
There is also the Yinhe Pro-01 at this link. I got one from PrinceTT.com ($42 + shipping) and the manufacturing quality is top notch (I haven't played it yet though). This is the info (thx Google Translate):
Professional One Pro-01 External ALC
Listing Date: 2020-06-23
Name: Professional One
Model: PRO-01
Structure: external ALC blue aromatic carbon
Endorsement: Zhu Yi's signature
Thickness: 5.6-5.8mm

... and mine came in at 89g / 1485Hz / 5.75mm.

For comparison, the recent Sanwei Fextra's came in at 87.2g & 87.7g, 1421Hz. From the Freq. spreadsheet, the average Viscaria has 88g, 1452Hz, and the one V14 Pro had 89g/1475Hz.

I still got the one with the laser-cut label and serial number on the blade. The ones on Aliexpress have a std. label and no serial number visible on the photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBH7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020

Loll..So I take it you dont think there's any real difference in quality between the two?

Whilst I did own a V14 for about 6 months (having ordered one whilst doing some late night ej-ing) I never even glued it because the only thing that I like more than trying out new equipment is trying to get slightly better over time and unfortunately changing blades usually doesn't help with that. But it had a nice handle.

Now, I did play with a TB Spirit for about 2 years but only whilst training with a coach. It was only when I was released to gen-pop that I slowly started to learn what it means not being able to control a blade and what the benefits are of having more control with an all-wood blade.

A further 5 years down the line and I can be found every other month on my digital soap box on some forum arguing that anyone who asks for equipment advice online should be forced to play with an All+ 5ply blade for the next two years.😋

Whilst I did own a V14 for about 6 months (having ordered one whilst doing some late night ej-ing) I never even glued it because the only thing that I like more than trying out new equipment is trying to get slightly better over time and unfortunately changing blades usually doesn't help with that. But it had a nice handle.

Now, I did play with a TB Spirit for about 2 years but only whilst training with a coach. It was only when I was released to gen-pop that I slowly started to learn what it means not being able to control a blade and what the benefits are of having more control with an all-wood blade.

A further 5 years down the line and I can be found every other month on my digital soap box on some forum arguing that anyone who asks for equipment advice online should be forced to play with an All+ 5ply blade for the next two years.😋

Yeah.I think there's truth in what you're saying.I personally use a 5 ply all wood,the Infinity VPS. Even very advanced/professional players use all wood succesfully.I do find it extemely interesting to compare the compositon and performance of various blades as well as differences in actual quality (if any) of blades at different price points.The insight from those who've used them is always welcome for me.

There is also the Yinhe Pro-01 at this link. I got one from PrinceTT.com ($42 + shipping) and the manufacturing quality is top notch (I haven't played it yet though). This is the info (thx Google Translate):
Professional One Pro-01 External ALC
Listing Date: 2020-06-23
Name: Professional One
Model: PRO-01
Structure: external ALC blue aromatic carbon
Endorsement: Zhu Yi's signature
Thickness: 5.6-5.8mm

... and mine came in at 89g / 1485Hz / 5.75mm.

For comparison, the recent Sanwei Fextra's came in at 87.2g & 87.7g, 1421Hz. From the Freq. spreadsheet, the average Viscaria has 88g, 1452Hz, and the one V14 Pro had 89g/1475Hz.

I still got the one with the laser-cut label and serial number on the blade. The ones on Aliexpress have a std. label and no serial number visible on the photos.

Will check it out.Thx!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021

I have a Yinhe v14 pro blade and it is a very fast blade. If u are trying to develope your technique it is better to use a 5 ply allwood limba outer blade.

This user has no status.
The real answer is the v14 pro has thinner outer plies and is thicker overall especially in the core. It's stiffer and a lot faster. This is because it was made for Chinese professional who often use slightly modified blades anyway But a good blade nonetheless. Fast.The pro-01 as said earlier is the exact copy of a viscaria from a construction standpoint. And performs more similar from review although I've never owned a pro 01

Reactions: JJ Ng and JBH7

I have a Yinhe v14 pro blade and it is a very fast blade. If u are trying to develope your technique it is better to use a 5 ply allwood limba outer blade.

Thanks for the feedback.I actually use a limba outer blade,the Infinity ps which I like very much.Not looking to change anytime soon.Im honestly asking because I was intrigued by idea of blade that has the same composition as the Viscaria ( a widely loved and celebrated blade) but being only a 1/4 of the price.So was just looking for an honest assesment of the any difference in quality for some who may have actually tested/played with both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Read 1 reviews
I can only say things about Pro 01 (I own this) and V14 Pro (my friend owns this).

First, I think people buy these 2 blades to get a substitute for BTY Viscaria because Viscaria is quite expensive.

At that time, I already own a Viscaria, but I am intrigued by my friend's blade (V14 Pro) which people say is a replica of Viscaria. I tried my friend's blade, and I would have to say that it is faster and stiffer than Viscaria, partly because V14 Pro is thicker than Viscaria.

Then after short internet research, I found Pro 01 which is said to be the exact replica of Viscaria. I bought it and tried it. I would have to say that it is closer to Viscaria compared to V14 Pro. I think it is because of the similar thickness with Viscaria (and also similar composition).

So if you want to have cheaper Viscaria (although not 100% similar), then I suggest get a Pro 01, instead of V14 Pro.

Sorry, I can't comments on other blades as I have never used them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I can only say things about Pro 01 (I own this) and V14 Pro (my friend owns this).

First, I think people buy these 2 blades to get a substitute for BTY Viscaria because Viscaria is quite expensive.

At that time, I already own a Viscaria, but I am intrigued by my friend's blade (V14 Pro) which people say is a replica of Viscaria. I tried my friend's blade, and I would have to say that it is faster and stiffer than Viscaria, partly because V14 Pro is thicker than Viscaria.

Then after short internet research, I found Pro 01 which is said to be the exact replica of Viscaria. I bought it and tried it. I would have to say that it is closer to Viscaria compared to V14 Pro. I think it is because of the similar thickness with Viscaria (and also similar composition).

So if you want to have cheaper Viscaria (although not 100% similar), then I suggest get a Pro 01, instead of V14 Pro.

Sorry, I can't comments on other blades as I have never used them.
No problem. Thank you! I already put in an order for V14 Pro so it is on its way. If I don't like it, I might get Pro 01 later. Appreciate your input. I will make sure I put slower rubbers on that blade when it arrives!

I have a Yinhe t11+ and the truth is that the raft takes away a lot of my feeling. After reading here, I decided to buy a Y Pro01 and have something more weighty in hand. I have tried an Original Viscaria from a colleague and I notice it heavy on the head, but when accelerating the gesture, the ball is like a steamroller. I have noticed something similar with another friend's Cibershape. But I prefer to go "naturally" from soft carbon to ALC. I'll tell you. I know it's a clone, I found it for €63 and now I've seen an offer for 53 without a box.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Sorry I want to resurrect this thread as recently I purchased one of the mass produced/re-released V-14 pro.

It's frustrates me a bit that there's a gazillion of us EJ's out there but very little side by side picture comparisons.

In a blind test can anyone of you identify which of the blades below is a Butterfly Viscaria and Which one is the V-14? Take it as a small jest -- as it would be fun to realize that some of us might be a bit inaccurate in judging the blades.

v14viscaria comparison.jpg

As I read, there's an first release of the V-14. A limited 1000 pieces only that's numbered from 1/1000 to 1000/1000. And then there's a mass produced version when fans of the blade actually insisted they release it again. I have not heard of any complaints about the first release versions being different from the "mass released" ones. And I think only a few would be able to compare them as I think very few have both.

My feedback is from using the "mass produced" FL version. Putting this disclaimer ahead as I can't comment on the original release or any other handle types.

I used the same rubbers in using both the viscaria and the V-14
Forehand - Tenergy 05
Backhand - Stiga DNA Dragongrip

I'm going to say it ahead of time, the V-14 can never feel the same as a Timo Boll(ALC FL). Imho the handle of the TB has a thin neck. Smaller in diameter. It's like holding a slender woman's wrist. (weird analogy no?)
The handle of the V-14 is closer to the handle of the viscaria. The neck is chunkier. In my experiences with quite a few blades... the handle shape provides a huge difference in feel. It actually makes me wonder if the first release handle is the Timo Ball handle shape and they changed it on the re-release. Because quite a few of the reviews I've read keep comparing the v-14 to the TB instead of the viscaria.

Having said the above. The V-14 handle FEELS even a tad bit "chunkier" than the viscaria. Thicker by a bit is what I mean. Only on the neck part. The bottom part of the handle is the same. I'll probably buy a caliper to actually prove this but for now I'm basing on feeling of gripping it. The V-14 FL is the wrist of your gym bro that drinks protein shakes everyday. The viscaria is your best friend's wrist. And the timo ball FL is the wrist of a girlfriend. (again weird analogy, but you'll get what i mean when you've held the 3).

In play... the viscaria is your married, financially stable, eldest brother. Makes mature decisions. Balls don't go wild even if you smash it. Using the harder Stiga DNA dragongrip, it has very controlled passive blocks. It looks at the problematic situation, calms everyone down, and provides a well thought of solution. Even if you make bad decisions in play your older brother viscaria has got your back. Puts the ball on the table and slightly makes up for your errors while still calmly reprimanding you because you suck at drills and you don't practice as much as you should.

In play...the v-14 is your freshly graduated from college, young professional employee. Livelier. A tad bit more power than the viscaria. Eager for that job promotion. Like it has something to prove to his parents or to his manager at work. When you do your flat drives it can still calmly put the ball on the table but it can explode more if you want it to. It still has the control your elder brother viscaria has but unlike your elder brother it doesn't have 40 year old knees. It has power when you need it, but control when you dont. Faster and bouncier than the viscaria by just a tiny bit. But significant enough for the user to notice.

Even though my description of the two blades above seem to indicate otherwise, the similarity is for sure there. The blades are brothers of the same family. Not exactly a clone of one another imho. In my amateur opinion the viscaria would fit the hands of a coach that values ball placement more than explosive power and the v-14 is for the player that wants more power to "kill" the ball more.

Build quality wise.. the Viscaria looks "more refined". Probably a placebo effect on me because it's a more expensive brand. But for 1/4 of the price the V-14 is no slouch. I would have liked the V14 more if they designed the handle a bit more "classical" but that's just me. There is no question about the quality of the handle in the Viscaria. Full disclosure I also own an ST version of the viscaria and the handle is really built top quality. Non-play related, we all know that a bit of downside to the viscaria is that it gets very dirty, very quickly. First week of heavy training? The viscaria will already look your husky dog coming home from a day of playing in the park. The V-14 is more resilient to being dirty because of its color choices.

The viscaria build quality as I said above looks "more refined" but with that finer look comes a downside. It chips easy on the edges. Unsealed - when taking off heavily glued rubbers there's a bigger chance of pulling a few fibers. If you want the viscaria to last, seal at least the edges. The V14? Not so much. Although I've used my V14 significantly a lot less months than I've used my viscaria, the edges are tough. With the occasional slams on the table receiving services, the V14 held up more.

Everyone knows what a Viscaria looks like but i don't think a lot of people know how the V-14 looks against the light. Daym. Oooh mama. This isn't even a special version. They just come scaled by default.
357316876_602345878676921_3372625402449372423_n.jpg

Maybe because it's a different wood. The V-14 surface is "smoother". If you zoom in close to the viscaria, it's not really smooth. There's very little "pores, lines, gaps" in the wood grain. (the ones your waterbased glue gets into and makes it hard to clean when changing rubbers). The V-14 doesn't have those or at least has smaller pores. I think those "pores" in the viscaria wood actually gives it more control and shock absorption capabilities. The smoother surface on the V-14 gives it the tad bit more direct power.

Can anyone tell if this is a V-14 or a viscaria? Just another blind test.
357313718_1482688785809419_3220736265291300590_n.jpg

I'm still typing the rest of my experience............ in the next edit.

Last edited: