Glasses and Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I use varifocal glasses all day which allows me to read a newspaper and look up at the television without having to change glasses. My brain moves my head slightly to look out of the correct part of the glasses to ensure what I am looking at is in focus.
However- I thought that this cannot happen when I am moving to hit a ball and the danger is that the ball is completely out of focus. I tried plain distance lenses but this made it difficult to focus on the ball when I was serving. I asked the opticians to make up plain lenses for medium vision - about a tables length. This allows me to see the ball at arms length and when my opponent is serving reasonably well. Has anyone tried this or can you play with varifocals?

Good day everyone

Today, i was given corrective glasses for an eye problem. I tried playing today wearing it and ended up badly.

Problems i faced today(There could be more as time passes)

1.Sweat beads that drop from the Forehead to the glasses
2. Body heat that fogs up my glasses
3. High toss serve, when the ball leaves the sight of my glasses(Particularly in the frame part) i lose track of the ball.

How were you able to circumvent around these problems?
Are there anymore problems i should be aware off?
Although at the time being, i can play without glasses but my doctor advices me to use it 24/7 except sleeping or bathing. should i continue to practice without the glasses and only wear it afterwards?

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. thank you

I’d Just like to add to what everyone else said. Instead of using a strap I use these:

MOLDERP Silicone Eyeglasses... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B6K9SZQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It makes it easier to remove my glasses if I need to wipe sweat from my face and/or clean the lenses off and works just as good if not better than the traditional strap. By securing my frames to my face and prevents sliding when I sweat. Hope this helps !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: amekun and Avenger
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
If the fog is inside the glasses, it’s from your eyes, not body. You probably live in a very humid area. And since you are new to glasses, your eyes get wetter.

The way you describe, it’s almost certain a fashion thin pair sitting very close to your eyes (I got those when I was younger).

Get a bigger one, semi frame if you still care how you look, with adjustable deep nose pads (so glasses sit a little away from your eyes) and the temples (the ear bits) that can bend and sit tight on your ears. I wouldn’t fix it by any string as it would hurt your nose a hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: amekun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
this is a problem for me too, since I'm living in a tropical country, it is very humid, my eyes begin to water and my glasses begin to fog up , need a break to wipe my face and glasses lol

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am trying to think, because I just don't remember my glasses ever bothering me. And New York City does get pretty hot and humid in the summer. The main thing I can remember is that, for me, having something that was dry to clean my glasses off if they did get wet was important. That, if they got wet, it was hard to clean them because my shirt would be sweaty. But as long as I had something dry that was not the towel I used for playing (so it stayed dry), so I could clean them off when they did get wet, that was all I really needed.

I wear glasses since I was a kid, about the problems you say: 1. Wear headbands or wipe your hands on your forehead when you need to be faster, and always have a face towel and rub it over your head.
2. Are your glasses too tight? mine are a little loose, in my club it is mandatory to wear a mask to train, and even with that my glasses do not fog up, keep them with a certain gap if you can, the gap I say is not to leave it exactly at the beginning of the nose, let it fall a little.
3. I always look up at the time of high-release service, I just stop looking when it reaches my glasses level.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Åland may be exotic but hardly tropical ;)

I was entirely ignorant of this place. But after a pleasant hour spent on Wikipedia I now know more about Aaland than the average FloridaMan, plus a smidgen of Finnish social history, and a bonus article about Giant's Churches.

PingPong forums can be very educational.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I was entirely ignorant of this place. But after a pleasant hour spent on Wikipedia I now know more about Aaland than the average FloridaMan, plus a smidgen of Finnish social history, and a bonus article about Giant's Churches.

PingPong forums can be very educational.

Have no fear. There're plenty more islands in the Baltic sea to read up on. My absolute favourite (holiday destination) is Gotland.

A place where scenes like this took place can't be ignored.

View attachment 21963

They normally also host a baltic sea TT competition for old farts in July. This island has it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: amekun and Antonlan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
I use varifocal glasses all day which allows me to read a newspaper and look up at the television without having to change glasses. My brain moves my head slightly to look out of the correct part of the glasses to ensure what I am looking at is in focus.
However- I thought that this cannot happen when I am moving to hit a ball and the danger is that the ball is completely out of focus. I tried plain distance lenses but this made it difficult to focus on the ball when I was serving. I asked the opticians to make up plain lenses for medium vision - about a tables length. This allows me to see the ball at arms length and when my opponent is serving reasonably well. Has anyone tried this or can you play with varifocals?
That is what I use. I have single vision lenses that are designed for focus at about 10 feet. I have to take them off to write scores on score sheets, but they work better than my progressive's lenses.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2020
I wear glasses since I was a kid, about the problems you say: 1. Wear headbands or wipe your hands on your forehead when you need to be faster, and always have a face towel and rub it over your head.
2. Are your glasses too tight? mine are a little loose, in my club it is mandatory to wear a mask to train, and even with that my glasses do not fog up, keep them with a certain gap if you can, the gap I say is not to leave it exactly at the beginning of the nose, let it fall a little.
3. I always look up at the time of high-release service, I just stop looking when it reaches my glasses level.
oh never thought of wearing a headband, I should try it

This user has no status.
I Gave it a shot after a month. Ordered a large frame titanium glasses as suggested. Added nose padding so that the frame sits a bit higher. Used opti fog wipes given to me by my optometrist. Avoid looking on the floor so much so that my sweat beads dont drop on to my lenses. Wearing sweatbands.

Ever since i wore these glasses, the back of my head hurts after training. Idk if its an adjustment period thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
My own experience of a similar, slightly different but definitely related situation:

My distance vision has been deteriorating over the last few years to the point I need to wear them all the time for driving. Glasses are fine for driving, you’re hopefully not jumping about or sweating profusely. I tried wearing them while playing but encountered all the same issues as the OP and others.

So I tried contacts, which again are fine for driving but I found them equally problematic for playing. My eyes would regularly tear up and interfere with my view of the ball and particularly when playing for extended periods, they’d get very tired. It doesn’t sound too bad perhaps, I persevered for a good while but ultimately we all play for fun and both glasses and contacts were taking some of the enjoyment out of the game for me.

So I explored other options and happened upon my current solution, orthokeratology - night time contacts. I hadn’t heard of it before and I can’t post links here yet but there’s information on Wikipedia about it. I don’t think its suitable for any prescription but it was for me and has worked out great. So now I wear contacts while I sleep, put them in when I go to bed and take them out when I wake and during the day, I can see perfectly. It’s amazing and I’m really enjoying being able to play without any distraction. I have however reduced the list of possible excuses for my poor play. :rolleyes:

Thought I’d share in case someone else can enjoy the same benefits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Get your optometrist to adjust the temples and temple tips. It can be a trick to get just right. Too tight and it hurts something, too loose and it slides around.

I wear a cotton sweatband under a neck gaiter/scarf I cover my head with and no sweat gets through. You can probably get away with using a good high-tech moisture wicking wide sweat band and don't have to worry about not looking at the ground.

Last edited: