BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
What most likely to happen soon is that these involved players coaches would be forced to apologize for their misbehavior, on Weibo or in front of cameras. Typical end of similar story.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
According to Tencent Sports, Ma Long's mobile has been turned off overnight. (I think other players and coaches are unable to contact as well). Nobody knows did CNT members delete their Weibo by themselves (obviously not).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
According to Tencent Sports, Ma Long's mobile has been turned off overnight. (I think other players and coaches are unable to contact as well). Nobody knows did CNT members delete their Weibo by themselves (obviously not).
They were all deleted with the message that it was deleted "according to relevant laws, regulations and policies."

Also, Wang Nan has just posted in support of LGL as well.

Reactions: BeGo and eyepop
This user has no status.
What I'm most curious is is, who is the ringleader? Is LGL the one asking everyone to chant, and asking the men's team to forfeit? Or did the CNT orchestrate this as a team effort? Or could it be ML, the first to follow-through, and the one who later prompted FZD and XX to follow (after the doubles defeat)?

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
What I'm most curious is is, who is the ringleader? Is LGL the one asking everyone to chant, and asking the men's team to forfeit? Or did the CNT orchestrate this as a team effort? Or could it be ML, the first to follow-through, and the one who later prompted FZD and XX to follow (after the doubles defeat)?

In my opinion, this is a team effort (most but not everybody in cnt). The protest is not merely to support LGL but to protect cnt's tradition, honor, unity, and voice. How can athletes accept a leader who has no idea with table tennis to control them? Players and coaches cannot find a better or a safer way to express their opinion as people in power would not listen to them unless a social event happens. CNT players and coaches definitely had considered the worst consequences before they "suicided". They could be banned, fined and even be hidden. They give up their future in Chinese sports system. As the new leader fired LGL in an extremely rude way, who can make a promise to cnt players and coaches that they would not be fired like LGL in the future? That's why young players like Fan Zhendong and Lin Gaoyuan dare to join the protest, new cnt coaches Qin Zhijian, Wang Hao and Ma Lin support LGL, and ex-players Chen Qi, Wang Nan feel so angry and disappointed. They are trying to stop a self-destruction.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
tiananmenping.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Good analogy. For 30 years Chinese politic hasn't changed a bit.

But everyday Chinese citizens are more open-minded and outspoken these days. On Weibo, within 20hrs 300000 comments have been made on the news. Most are supporting the protest.

2b57fcb84c15b3c269849491d0a79a62.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

I saw a new theory behind why LGL was removed from head coach position. The new chief in charge of nations sports, Mr. Gou, was in a nasty relation with CZH. Both LGL and KLH were CZH's left hand and right hand. Reveal KLH's gamble issue during WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP was the first move. Then remove LGL. The final target is on CZH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

CZH was mainly in charge of table tennis and national football too. LGL gained too much attention and praise for taking CNT to all types of talk shows or other events on TV. It brought more pupularity to TT. But somehow the sports authority was unhappy about it, not sure if the top officials were jealous of LGL's achievements.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
CZH was mainly in charge of table tennis and national football too. LGL gained too much attention and praise for taking CNT to all types of talk shows or other events on TV. It brought more pupularity to TT. But somehow the sports authority was unhappy about it, not sure if the top officials were jealous of LGL's achievements.
Is it to do with money? I heard that soccer makes far more money and gain more traction than tt in China.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Is it to do with money? I heard that soccer makes far more money and gain more traction than tt in China.

Politics is always involved with money. But the target on CZH (if it is true) wouldn't be for investigating any corruption, it's always feud fight over power. KLH was also just a unlucky guy. What ruined him was not his gamble debt. Without gamble debt, dirt would still be dug to remove him from blocking somebody's political career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Politics is always involved with money. But the target on CZH (if it is true) wouldn't be for investigating any corruption, it's always feud fight over power. KLH was also just a unlucky guy. What ruined him was not his gamble debt. Without gamble debt, dirt would still be dug to remove him from blocking somebody's political career.
My question is, is this a fight between different sports? Is it because LGL has produced too many TT athletes as well as stars on social media? As a result other sports want LGL gone?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
My question is, is this a fight between different sports? Is it because LGL has produced too many TT athletes as well as stars on social media? As a result other sports want LGL gone?

That article didn't mention details. It's not fight between different sports.
CZH is in charge of both football and TT. That so-called Mr. Gou, chief of national sports, is in charge of general sports, higher ranked than CZH. It's said Gou doesn't like CZH, and is intending to remove CZH. LGL and KLH were boys of CZH, thus became victims of this political war.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That article didn't mention details. It's not fight between different sports.
CZH is in charge of both football and TT. That so-called Mr. Gou, chief of national sports, is in charge of general sports, higher ranked than CZH. It's said Gou doesn't like CZH, and is intending to remove CZH. LGL and KLH were boys of CZH, thus became victims of this political war.
But anyway, very sad to see politics ruining a successful sport.

On the other hand, millions of Chinese fans are writing up their own blogs supporting the protest. I am very surprised to see such a high level of public outcry against authority.

But after all, I wish XX, ML, FZD, Ma Lin and Wang Hao all the best and come back in one piece. TT would be very different without them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
From what I see, lots of bloggers are not optimistic about the players' fate. CHINA authority could be stubborn and dictatorship. Officials would be arrogantly thinking "it's easy to select new CNT players. Who do you guys think you are?!"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
From what I see, lots of bloggers are not optimistic about the players' fate. CHINA authority could be stubborn and dictatorship. Officials would be arrogantly thinking "it's easy to select new CNT players. Who do you guys think you are?!"
What China lacks is the political process to overturn a dictator's decision. We see millions of supporters online. But it doesn't turn into anything real.

However, many coaches and level 2 players such as LGY in the CNT also support the protest. So the government must decide how many players and coaches they can afford to lose in one go. The impact would be huge to the National sport.

Needless to say all these people have extremely high profile (esp Ma Long won the best athlete in China last year). Even if the government managed to replace the top 3 with young stars, it will take another decade to win back the public.

At the end of the day, if public is Not interested= little moneh to be made = TT in China is still ruined

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
people have short-span interest and memory. I'm afraid new players would soon become new idols. But it's hard to face TT world without ML, FZD, emotionally. At least at this moment, I'm so sentimental.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
people have short-span interest and memory. I'm afraid new players would soon become new idols. But it's hard to face TT world without ML, FZD, emotionally. At least at this moment, I'm so sentimental.
I am sure many fans feel the same.

I wish they managed to escape to other countries to coach. Bring on more competition.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
What China lacks is the political process to overturn a dictator's decision. We see millions of supporters online. But it doesn't turn into anything real.

However, many coaches and level 2 players such as LGY in the CNT also support the protest. So the government must decide how many players and coaches they can afford to lose in one go. The impact would be huge to the National sport.

Needless to say all these people have extremely high profile (esp Ma Long won the best athlete in China last year). Even if the government managed to replace the top 3 with young stars, it will take another decade to win back the public.

At the end of the day, if public is Not interested= little moneh to be made = TT in China is still ruined

Passionate about TT

Not only CNT players, some teenage province team players also expressed their anger.
Tennis player Peng Shuai just posted her support and respect to CNT.
More and more celebrities like film director Feng Xiaogang and other scholars admire CNT's brave behaviour.