BREAKING: Ma Long & Fan Zhendong boycott CHINA OPEN!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Not only CNT players, some teenage province team players also expressed their anger.
Tennis player Peng Shuai just posted her support and respect to CNT.
More and more celebrities like film director Feng Xiaogang and other scholars admire CNT's brave behaviour.
Let's hope this butterfly effect will turn into a national hurricane!! Sorry for the pun

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Snooker player Fu Ka-chun admires CNT on Weibo. More and more athletes are joining the protest.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
List of members who support LGL and CNT on Weibo. (until GMT+8 Jun 24 20:50pm)

Players: Ma Long, Fan Zhendong, Xu Xin, Liang Jingkun, Lin Gaoyuan, Liu Yi, Zhou Yu, Fang Yinchi, Cheng Jingqi, Ma Te, Cui Qinglei, Yu Ziyang, Lü Xiang, Fan Shengpeng, Zhu Linfeng, Zheng Peifeng, Chen Sichang, Zhang Yudong

CNT Coaches: Qin Zhijian, Ma Lin, Wang Hao

Province team coach: Chen Qi

LGL's family and friends: Liu Guodong (LGL’s brother, head coach of HK team), Wang Nan (ex-CNT
player), Guo Bin (Wang Nan's husband)

Other athletes: Peng Shuai (tennis), Fu Ka-
chun (snooker)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I worry for these reasons also. You don't get to protest an injustice in China, even when your complaint is legitimate. They will punish you, and maybe your lawyers if they are too strident -- often more than the people who messed things up in the first place. The one thing that gives me some hope, though, is that these players are pretty huge national figures in China.

I find your ignorance of China to be quite offensive. Your views are so HUGELY biased and misinformed from exaggerated posts on social media. The things you say are true but you are blowing them way out of proportion with no personal experience and lack of understanding, it annoys me to see people with very basic understanding of things trying to inform other people and misleading them. Please stop posting things which are not 100% true.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
people have short-span interest and memory. I'm afraid new players would soon become new idols. But it's hard to face TT world without ML, FZD, emotionally. At least at this moment, I'm so sentimental.

No one can take Malong and Fan Zhendong's place . they are two popular figure in china especially Malong . the star player of the year . even with this courageous move they're more popular than before . no one can play like ma long or fan zhendong . it takes a lot of time to train a player like top 4 . but till now we dont have clear news about our 3 hero and thats annoying . btw here is the video of timo talking about current situation :

And also china cctv news shows how players quited

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
I find your ignorance of China to be quite offensive. Your views are so HUGELY biased and misinformed from exaggerated posts on social media. The things you say are true but you are blowing them way out of proportion with no personal experience and lack of understanding, it annoys me to see people with very basic understanding of things trying to inform other people and misleading them. Please stop posting things which are not 100% true.

What he said is true. Lawers like Pu Zhiqiang were locked up for fighting against jurisdiction and unfair deeds done by government.
I think he doesn't mean to exaggerate the situation. He simply expressed his concern and what may happen. No one says players are going to jail for the protest.

This user has no status.
What he said is true. Lawers like Pu Zhiqiang were locked up for fighting against jurisdiction and unfair deeds done by government.
I think he doesn't mean to exaggerate the situation. He simply expressed his concern and what may happen. No one says players are going to jail for the protest.

Yeh I understand his concern but I am also getting a feeling of trying to insult the country and to make it seem really bad which I disagree with. I am concerned for the players but I don't think that anything too serious will happen.

This user has no status.
Yeh I understand his concern but I am also getting a feeling of trying to insult the country and to make it seem really bad which I disagree with. I am concerned for the players but I don't think that anything too serious will happen.

Actually I know China very well and I too, agree that what he said is true. The thing is, they don't even have to go after you personally. I will lay money on this being exactly what will happen- their families are going to start getting harassed too. It can range from informal ('why is your son being a traitor to his country?'), to the formal (officials finding some issue to get them legally in trouble or to lose their jobs).

You have to understand, these people are taking a stance for someone they respect and believe in very much; but the notion of rights is very different in China. National rights and patriotism is the biggest and most important right, dwarfing everything else. It's not even close. The moment the media paints their actions as going against China, they're done.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
New Statement from CTTA

“With KLH‘s case, CTTA made an investigation and found out many problems in CNT. As LGL focused on men's team, CTTA decided to reform management system."
"According to LGL's contribution and personal ability, his new position as vice-chairman is aimed to let him make greater contributions to CNT on a higher platform."
"CTTA feels disappointed with player MA LONG, FAN ZHENDONG, XU XIN and coach QIN ZHIJIAN, MA LIN's withdrawal. "

Last edited:
This user has no status.
In my opinion, this is a team effort (most but not everybody in cnt). The protest is not merely to support LGL but to protect cnt's tradition, honor, unity, and voice. How can athletes accept a leader who has no idea with table tennis to control them? Players and coaches cannot find a better or a safer way to express their opinion as people in power would not listen to them unless a social event happens. CNT players and coaches definitely had considered the worst consequences before they "suicided". They could be banned, fined and even be hidden. They give up their future in Chinese sports system. As the new leader fired LGL in an extremely rude way, who can make a promise to cnt players and coaches that they would not be fired like LGL in the future? That's why young players like Fan Zhendong and Lin Gaoyuan dare to join the protest, new cnt coaches Qin Zhijian, Wang Hao and Ma Lin support LGL, and ex-players Chen Qi, Wang Nan feel so angry and disappointed. They are trying to stop a self-destruction.

Interesting. I have the direct opposite view. In my view they really do admire and like LGL as a person, which is why only the Men's team is doing this- not the women. Otherwise, everything you wrote applies just as much to the women as well.

I'm just curious how China's going to deal with this going forward. I suspect the top 3 will be benched for a while, and the others will be sent for the ITTF tournaments to 'give them more exposure'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
New Statement from CTTA

“With KLH‘s case, CTTA made an investigation and found out many problems in CNT. As LGL focused on men's team, CTTA decided to reform management system."
"According to LGL's contribution and personal ability, his new position as vice-chairman is aimed to let him make greater contributions to CNT on a higher platform."
"CTTA feels disappointed with player MA LONG, FAN ZHENDONG, XU XIN and coach QIN ZHIJIAN, MA LIN's withdrawal. "

This statement makes no sense. It is logic-less and perfunctory.
By the way, no penalty to players and coaches up to now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Interesting. I have the direct opposite view. In my view they really do admire and like LGL as a person, which is why only the Men's team is doing this- not the women. Otherwise, everything you wrote applies just as much to the women as well.

I'm just curious how China's going to deal with this going forward. I suspect the top 3 will be benched for a while, and the others will be sent for the ITTF tournaments to 'give them more exposure'.

I agree with you that men's team admires LGL. Things in women's team are quite different- as KLH's case is still unclear and nobody in women's team has expressed an opinion (except Wang Nan).
A suspension could be predicted. But the point is how long will it be. Especially as the National Games will be started in August.

This user has no status.
中国乒乓球协会声明
2017-06-24 20:50

今年5月29日,孔令辉因涉讼被暂停中国女子乒乓球队主教练工作之后,中国乒乓球协会组织力量对事件原委进行了认真调查,随着工作的深入逐渐暴露出乒乓球队管理上的各种深层次问题。由于原总教练刘国梁主要精力放在男队工作上,为更有效地加强队伍建设,减少管理层级,提高奥运备战效率,中国乒乓球协会决定对国家乒乓球队管理模式进行改革,不再设总、主教练,改为分设男、女两个教练组。鉴于刘国梁对中国乒乓球队的贡献和个人能力,协会提出他担任中国乒乓球协会副主席,希望他在更高的平台上继续发挥队伍管理、训练、比赛等方面的专业特长,同时为协会改革发展做出更大的贡献。协会为此专门与刘本人进行了沟通。

协会提出国家队管理模式改革方案后,社会舆论给予了高度关注,提出了很多意见和建议。我们感谢对乒乓球项目的热爱和关心,并将积极考虑大家的意见建议,不断完善、做好国家队各项工作。

6月23日,在成都举行的国际乒联中国乒乓球公开赛男子单打16进8的比赛中,中国乒乓球队运动员马龙、许昕、樊振东及主管教练秦志戬、马琳,在未经中国乒协批准的情况下擅自放弃参赛,造成严重的社会影响。对此,中国乒乓球协会深感震惊和痛心。

中国乒乓球协会将对此事件暴露的问题进行深刻反思,加强队伍爱国主义、集体主义教育,强化思想作风建设,打造一支纪律严明、作风过硬、顽强拼搏、为国争光的队伍。我们坚信,中国乒乓球队具有深厚传统和坚强实力,必将不断取得新的优异成绩,不辜负党和人民的期望。
责任编辑:张矣韵

Announcement by CTTA
2017-06-24 20:50

After KLH had to stop being the women's coach, we investigated and found many deep-rooted problems. LGL has until now been focusing on men's team, and in order to increase competencies, reduce hierarchy, and better prepare for the Olympics, we decided to implement structural reforms, removing the Chief coach and Men's/ Women's coach system and instead implement teams of men's and women's coaches. Because of LGL's contribution to table tennis and his strong capability, we promoted him to vice-chairman, and hope that he will be able to continue to implement his management, training and various other contributions from an even higher level, and make even more contributions in future. We had communicated this to LGL.

After suggesting these reforms, we had a lot of feedback. We thank everyone for this feedback. We will consider it carefully and do the best job we can and continually improve.

The withdrawal of Ma Long, FZD, XX and coaches QZJ and ML caused great social disruption. We are shocked and pained by this.

We will do deep reflections on this matter and improve the team's patriotism, team-spirit, and thinking ability. We will create a law-abiding, professional, country-loving table tennis team. We believe that table tennis in China has strong traditions and ability, and will continue to achieve great results, and not disappoint the Chinese Communist Party nor the people of China.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
I am a little bit scared of never seeing ML, FZD and XX on a table again. I hope the punishment will not be to harsh.

Is there a slightest chance of LGL become CNT coach again?

I don't think so. The new statement shows leader's adherence to reform and also, how stubborn is CTTA.