Penhold rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Wich rubber fits the most for a player with xu xin playing style far away from table with much topspin

I‘m currently thinking about tg2, hurricane 3 or tg3
all in neo version.In addition I‘m going to boost the rubber

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Why do you prefer it
I heard it is more for 3rd ball attacks and close to the table
and tg3 for consistant looping and thats what xu doing all the time. So why do you think is it better ?

men if you want xu xin rubber, xu xin used tg2 lol.

i play with many 3rd ball attack/ fh topspin and at some distance, not so close to the table.
tg2 neo have much control and low arc, is easy to spin but need to hit strong and good sense of the spin, brushing proper the ball. good to serve short and heavy backspin, easy to serve a good hook. if you are a penholder, you dont have motives to not test this rubber, is a entry for every penholder.
i not tested tg3, but h3 is not proper for my game.

men if you want xu xin rubber, xu xin used tg2 lol.

i play with many 3rd ball attack/ fh topspin and at some distance, not so close to the table.
tg2 neo have much control and low arc, is easy to spin but need to hit strong and good sense of the spin, brushing proper the ball. good to serve short and heavy backspin, easy to serve a good hook. if you are a penholder, you dont have motives to not test this rubber, is a entry for every penholder.
i not tested tg3, but h3 is not proper for my game.

Hello davizoosk,

As a penholder, why do you prefer TG2 over H3?

Last edited:
says Footwork footwork footwork
TG2 requires 100% swing in every shot. If you give 80% the ball might hit the net. But at 80% H3 still lands the ball on the table.

If you have the technique and strength, go for TG2. TG2 has a higher max spin level than any H3.

I think this speaks to the throw angle difference between TG2 and H3. It’s lower and slower, so if you don’t have enough forward trajectory with the same angle, you’ll clip, or go into, the net.

I, too, find that TG2 (and TG3 to a certain degree) require more effort than H3- if you stuck to an”H3 style game”.

I think TG2/3 shine at 3rd & 5th ball attacks, serve/receive- great at control and blocking. Really sort of a “chess master” rubber that requires a bit more tactility with your game in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: davizoosk

Hello davizoosk,

As a penholder, why do you prefer TG2 over H3?

exactly because of this speech of @sff_lib
SFF_lib;360857TG2 requires 100% swing in every shot. If you give 80% the ball might hit the net. But at 80% H3 still lands the ball on the table.

If you have the technique and strength, go for TG2. TG2 has a higher max spin level than any H3.

Im young, and maybe not much out of shape (1,79m and 74kg) so i can have low position, hit strong and concentrate at footwork too. at the maximum impact, tg2 give me more explosion, spin, strong ball. h3 is more forgiving, not like tenergy etc, but is more forgiving than tg2. if i send my max, h3 cannot do the same as tg2. sff_lib also said one time, xu xin fh is the best of world when he is young because of this too, at your 100 and 110%, tg2 is deadly. and i think gave more control on short game and more gears. the low arc is also deadly when you loop a half-long ball.

I think this speaks to the throw angle difference between TG2 and H3. It’s lower and slower, so if you don’t have enough forward trajectory with the same angle, you’ll clip, or go into, the net.

I, too, find that TG2 (and TG3 to a certain degree) require more effort than H3- if you stuck to an”H3 style game”.

I think TG2/3 shine at 3rd & 5th ball attacks, serve/receive- great at control and blocking. Really sort of a “chess master” rubber that requires a bit more tactility with your game in my opinion.

+1. the forward trajectory is very important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
exactly because of this speech of @sff_lib

Im young, and maybe not much out of shape (1,79m and 74kg) so i can have low position, hit strong and concentrate at footwork too. at the maximum impact, tg2 give me more explosion, spin, strong ball. h3 is more forgiving, not like tenergy etc, but is more forgiving than tg2. if i send my max, h3 cannot do the same as tg2. sff_lib also said one time, xu xin fh is the best of world when he is young because of this too, at your 100 and 110%, tg2 is deadly. and i think gave more control on short game and more gears. the low arc is also deadly when you loop a half-long ball.

Xu Xin before 2015 was unbeatable. He commits 110% in every FH shot with TG2, hence nobody can beat his FH as everyone else was using H3 only.

Reactions: Marc
I recently made the switch to TG3 from H3 and I’m liking the feel of control and a lot more spin. Counter loops are still decent and I have the added benefit of better short game.

I think TG3 sits right between TG2 and H3 in terms of spin and speed.

Pretty easy transition for me so far.

I recently made the switch to TG3 from H3 and I’m liking the feel of control and a lot more spin. Counter loops are still decent and I have the added benefit of better short game.

I think TG3 sits right between TG2 and H3 in terms of spin and speed.

Pretty easy transition for me so far.

So, a few months later and I’ve switched back to H3. I think I learned a lot with the TG3 but H3 suits my game a little better with the mid-further table power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
TG3 is about the same speed as H3. TG3 has really good ball feel, probably the best in all of DHS’s rubbers.

H3 is something that should be your baseline rubber. If you use H3 and you wished for more power, or more spin, or speed, etc. People here, including myself, can help you out in this aspect.

TG2 definitely requires super hard swings to get it going. H3 is better in this regard

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
If you swing chinese style, yeah definitely TG2. But if you swing more in a Dang Qiu or Felix Lebrun style with a shorter forehand loop motion, better use a BTY D09C... or any euro hybrid rubber with a catapult effect sponge.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
It’s stupid to say Europe style swing vs Chinese style, unless you’ve already had a style to begin with. All top pros do one thing in common, it’s an insane amount of acceleration through the ball.

Regardless of how you swing, it’s something that should be done naturally… don’t try to fit within a stereotype. There is no ideal form.

I’d also like to say that there ISNT a penhold rubber. Any rubber works.

If you want Chinese rubber perhaps try H3Neo.
Euro/Jap rubber try Vega X. Just about any rubber from any major manufacturer works and they are pretty good. (MXP, G1, Tenergy,Rasanter, etc…)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Felix Lebrun does say his forehand is his weakest side, because he does not swing as a "regular" chinese or asian RPB player, it's quite obvious when you see him play: his forehnad motion is way shorter than Xu Xin, he does not use his body as much. No Straight arm, not no so much upper body rotation.

If you don't see this difference, then you've got a serious problem...

Reactions: jammmail
TG3 is about the same speed as H3. TG3 has really good ball feel, probably the best in all of DHS’s rubbers.

H3 is something that should be your baseline rubber. If you use H3 and you wished for more power, or more spin, or speed, etc. People here, including myself, can help you out in this aspect.

TG2 definitely requires super hard swings to get it going. H3 is better in this regard

Maybe I had a bad batch or something but TG3 was noticeably slower than H3 for me. Spinnier, but definitely slower. In terms of speed it was between H3 and TG2.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So much garbage posted here.
What is pen hold rubber? Is there "shake hands" rubber?
Does anybody have any data to back up what they say?
What is "Chinese" style?
The ball doesn't care what style the stroke it. It only cares about what is happening during the impact.
The acceleration through the ball non-sense is just that. If you are still accelerating through the ball at impact then the paddle has not reached maximum speed. In addition the acceleration after the ball leaves the paddle just increases recovery time.
H3 commercial is relatively dead compared to the Neo rubbers. None are very fast.

Reactions: ricospin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
So much garbage posted here.
What is pen hold rubber? Is there "shake hands" rubber?
Does anybody have any data to back up what they say?
What is "Chinese" style?
The ball doesn't care what style the stroke it. It only cares about what is happening during the impact.
The acceleration through the ball non-sense is just that. If you are still accelerating through the ball at impact then the paddle has not reached maximum speed. In addition the acceleration after the ball leaves the paddle just increases recovery time.
H3 commercial is relatively dead compared to the Neo rubbers. None are very fast.

A little confused. You aren’t or you are supposed to accelerate through the ball? I’ve been taught to hit forward/brush forward when contacting the ball, and to take it in front of the body- this is what I’ve been taught by my coach, former rank #7 in the US