Please help me choose between Long 5 and Vicaria bladea

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Please help me choose between Long 5 and Vicaria blades

Actually, I've been playing since 6 years but due to low opportunities, insufficient and improper training I could never reach to that level which I always wanted to achieve. But I'm still into it and I'm trying.
Basically, I like both MA LONG and ZHANG JIKE'S gameplay but I like to hit hard, fast and spinny loops. I just want to be a looping machine, hitting from both backhand and forehand. Naturally I love playing short game and somehow I'm quite good at it like - drops, flicks, etc.
I've been playing with Timo Boll ZLC since last 4 years but I don't like it much for now because I want a faster and dominant playing style. So, I decided to buy either Hurricane Long 5 or Butterfly Viscaria FL. I just don't prefer playing with a Chinese rubber because I've never used one and I also don't have good training opportunities here which could help me to adapt to it. Please suggest which blade should I go for and also if I should try playing with Chinese rubber or not. Else I've used Tenergy series, Evolution MX-P, Rakza 7, Rasanter R47, Omega 5 asia, etc, coz I've always liked and preferred for hard rubbers on forehand because I have good spin naturally and all I need is speed but obviously a good spinny rubber maybe can say one of those professional rubbers like Dignics 05, Tenergy-80, MX-P 50° Pro version, Rasanter R47, Omega 5 Asia or Omera 7 Tour or suggest me any other if better for forehand, rest I've chosen Rakza 7 for my backhand. Also tell me that which is better for backhand, Rakza 7 or Yasaka Valmo?
I just want a dominant game like Ma Long

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I use TB zlc and i think it is more suited for those who want to play closer to the table with hard somewhat flat loops. I think another blade Will suit looping more.

You Do not want to fast blade because you proably Will lose arc and the ball Will leave the racket to fast.

If you have liked the zlc a bit Maybe you can try Timo boll alc or Timo boll spirit which is basically the same?

I think you Will get more arc with this blade and it is more bouncy which Will suit looping better. But i think Maybe you Will have more trouble in the short game with the alc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I use TB zlc and i think it is more suited for those who want to play closer to the table with hard somewhat flat loops. I think another blade Will suit looping more.

You Do not want to fast blade because you proably Will lose arc and the ball Will leave the racket to fast.

If you have liked the zlc a bit Maybe you can try Timo boll alc or Timo boll spirit which is basically the same?

I think you Will get more arc with this blade and it is more bouncy which Will suit looping better. But i think Maybe you Will have more trouble in the short game with the alc.

Hey! Thanks for your concern and your suggestion. But what I think is that Timo Boll series is somewhat which resembles Timo Boll's style but I wang to opt the one of Ma Long or Zhang Jike, spinny and fast looping style - aggressive/attacking, just purely dominant.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hey! Thanks for your concern and your suggestion. But what I think is that Timo Boll series is somewhat which resembles Timo Boll's style but I wang to opt the one of Ma Long or Zhang Jike, spinny and fast looping style - aggressive/attacking, just purely dominant.

I think Timo boll plays that way too?

I think spinny looping style is a contrast to fast aggressive attacking.

Like i Said i think a harder stiffer blade works better for fast aggressive attacking ans a little softer blade works better for spinny looping. Hard to get one which is good for everything.

I also think Maybe you focus on the blade to much. You proably can play the way you describe with all of the blades, zlc, alc, viscaria and ma long. They are all good. Nothing magical Will happen. More about hard practice.

But i would try TB alc, spirit or viscaria. I think all of them is good for looping. Do not know much about ma long.

Once again. You can not play the way you want without very good short game. So the blade can not be to fast and bouncy. If you can not get good returns you Will never be able to play the way you describe.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think Timo boll plays that way too?

I think spinny looping style is a contrast to fast aggressive attacking.

Like i Said i think a harder stiffer blade works better for fast aggressive attacking ans a little softer blade works better for spinny looping. Hard to get one which is good for everything.

I also think Maybe you focus on the blade to much. You proably can play the way you describe with all of the blades, zlc, alc, viscaria and ma long. They are all good. Nothing magical Will happen. More about hard practice.

But i would try TB alc, spirit or viscaria. I think all of them is good for looping. Do not know much about ma long.

Once again. You can not play the way you want without very good short game. So the blade can not be to fast and bouncy. If you can not get good returns you Will never be able to play the way you describe.

Okay, I understand dude. Thanks a lot!
I like Viscaria over all other blades and maybe something makes Viscaria the most famous blade amongst professional players. But I still want a good comparison and advice for me to choose between Viscaria and Long 5 according to my needs & my playing style. Coz, it's not easy and economical at all to buy and try such blades again and again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
I think the problem is that there is big level gap between you and Ma Long. That makes the speed difference.

I feel the same when I watch lots of pro matches and trying to replicate the speed in trainings and want to hear that crack sound. But this makes my consistency very bad and I start to blame equipments. I think you are not dominant in games, because you trained not hard enough, or it is not your style.

You are using your equipment quite long time. That equipment change will make maybe minor changes on your game. Being good in table tennis takes very long time when you don't have great coach and friends with training mindset.

Sent from Tapatalk

Reactions: Tuppe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think the problem is that there is big level gap between you and Ma Long. That makes the speed difference.

I feel the same when I watch lots of pro matches and trying to replicate the speed in trainings and want to hear that crack sound. But this makes my consistency very bad and I start to blame equipments. I think you are not dominant in games, because you trained not hard enough, or it is not your style.

You are using your equipment quite long time. That equipment change will make maybe minor changes on your game. Being good in table tennis takes very long time when you don't have great coach and friends with training mindset.

Sent from Tapatalk
Ya, you're absolutely right. Very well said, I totally agree that there's lack of training. But choosing the right and suitable equipment can help us improve faster and better. So, that is why I'm seeking for a new equipment because the old ones are in a need to get replaced due to the wear and tear. I've been using the blade since last 4 years, so I've decided to change it.

This user has no status.
I use a tibhar Paul Drinkhall power spin carbon which I think is a really nice blade. It is basically the same as a Timo Bill Spirit.
my brother has a ma long 5 and a viscaria, they are very similar but I think the viscaria is a much better made blade. The other difference is the handles, the long 5 is very thin and viscaria is thicker but a little shorter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think Viscaria has more stiffness than ML5.

And what about other traits? Any other differences? I've tried playing with Viscaria. I liked it, was better than Timo Boll ZLC for me. Maybe it was the best for me till now, but I have doubts for Long 5, that what if it's much better than Viscaria.
Can you explain the differences in detail and suggest?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It really is a self-playing blade, just don't forget every now and then to change batteries.

Get Long 5. He's the GOAT and having that blade will without a doubt improve your game greatly. Be careful though, once his ranking drops, your play might be impacted.