Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Next chance for him but I think Wang Chuqin will win again.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I agree that Liu's spot is still up in the air. But from memory the Olympics have always applied the separation by association rule. At least from my observation there have been no two players from the same country in the same half, or all three players in the same half (2008 and before).

That could change. I̶'̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶o̶D̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶=̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶j̶t̶t̶a̶.̶o̶r̶.̶j̶p̶/̶P̶o̶r̶t̶a̶l̶s̶/̶0̶/̶i̶m̶a̶g̶e̶s̶/̶a̶s̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶/̶m̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶/̶2̶0̶1̶9̶/̶2̶0̶1̶9̶0̶7̶0̶1̶_̶r̶i̶j̶i̶k̶a̶i̶.̶p̶d̶f̶]̶J̶T̶T̶A̶'̶s̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶u̶t̶e̶s̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ They've been passed. The ITTF handbook has been updated.

https://ittf.cdnomega.com/eu/2019/03/Propositions_and_Resolutions_to_2019_BoD.pdf
Proposition 16

Proposed by the ITTF Executive Committee.

To amend 3.6.3:

3.6.3.1 Nominated players and pairs of the same Association shall, as far as possible, be separated s̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ in terms of 3.6.3.3 and 3.6.3.4 unless otherwise stated in the specific regulations for such particular event or group of events.

3.6.3.2 Associations shall list their nominated players and pairs in descending order of playing strength, starting with any players included in the ranking list used for seeding, in the order of that list.

3.6.3.3 The entries ranked 1 and 2 shall be drawn into different halves and those ranked 3 and 4 into quarters other than those occupied by the first two.

3̶.̶6̶.̶3̶.̶4̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶5̶-̶8̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶e̶i̶g̶h̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶c̶c̶u̶p̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶r̶.̶

3.6.3.4 Remaining entries shall be separated only in groups and in the first round of the qualification draw for Knock-outs and the main draw, but not in further rounds.

3̶.̶6̶.̶3̶.̶5̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶9̶-̶1̶6̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶i̶x̶t̶e̶e̶n̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶o̶c̶c̶u̶p̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶u̶n̶t̶i̶l̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶r̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶c̶a̶t̶e̶d̶.̶

Rationale:
The intent of the current rule is that players from the same Association, who often have to travel a long way, do not have to play matches against compatriots. However, this should only apply to the top players, with all others guaranteed not to meet in the first round proper. This will also make the draw much more simplified and easier to follow.

Proposition 21

Proposed by the ITTF Executive Committee.

To add 4.5.2.3:

4.5.2.3. Players of the same Association shall be separated according to 3.6.3.1 and 3.6.3.3 3̶.̶6̶.̶3̶.̶4̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶3̶.̶6̶.̶3̶.̶5̶ only in preliminary rounds but not in further rounds.

Rationale:
The ITTF World Ranking should be the main criteria for Olympic Draws.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Even there is no desire to comment ....:mad:

I guess most forum members only care about the mens. If this was in the mens, we could have more comments

I still can't figure out how 17th seed took 2nd seed spot.
It should of been walk over with my limited knowledge of the rules.

so now all the correct pre rounds made the main draw. so who made the main draw "luckily"? There is 1 extra person in the main draw who shouldn't be there...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I found out it is a friend of mine that made the spot despite loosing the preround lol
maybe I should keep my mouth shut :cool:

Chen Szu Yu

This is maybe a new rule

But it's an odd rule that was only applied to the Singles event but not XD and WD since Choi Hyojoo/Lee Eunhye and Jun Mizutani/Ito Mima got walkovers? Then again, Chen Szu-yu meets Chen Meng – it's as good as having lost at the prelims.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
But it's an odd rule that was only applied to the Singles event but not XD and WD since Choi Hyojoo/Lee Eunhye and Jun Mizutani/Ito Mima got walkovers?

very odd, I don't think I saw this before
Before the seeding and draw, one can reshuffle due to withdrawal.
But after it and after tournament starts, it should be WO, not resuffle.
I would assume Chen only got through because she lost 4-3, and maybe her point scores was more than the other 4-3 losers

i've ask a blue badge umpire that I know (due to become deputy referee at Tokyo), so far no reply

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I read your post. Other than a suggestion that there may be a new rule, there’s nothing there that explains.
so, it is a new rule?

No one (so far) knows what is going on.
I am hoping some of the forum members like Zeio who spends many hours on a forums a day would have an answer

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I guess most forum members only care about the mens. If this was in the mens, we could have more comments

I still can't figure out how 17th seed took 2nd seed spot.
It should of been walk over with my limited knowledge of the rules.

so now all the correct pre rounds made the main draw. so who made the main draw "luckily"? There is 1 extra person in the main draw who shouldn't be there...
I think walk over applies when a match has already started.

I somewhat understand how Jeon Jihee takes over LSW's spot, but I don't understand CSY filling in the last spot. Perhaps they counted points won in prelims rather than higher ranking to determine who was the "lucky loser".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I think walk over applies when a match has already started.

I somewhat understand how Jeon Jihee takes over LSW's spot, but I don't understand CSY filling in the last spot. Perhaps they counted points won in prelims rather than higher ranking to determine who was the "lucky loser".
I think this explains JJH taking the 2nd spot (from 2019 ITTF Handbook):

3.6.6.2 Any vacancies in seeded places shall first be filled, in ranking order, bydrawing into them the strongest new players or pairs; any further players orpairs shall be drawn into vacancies due to absence or disqualification andthen into byes other than those against seeded players or pairs.