Cornilleau Gatien Absolum OFF+

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

Has anyone tried Cornilleau Gatien Absolum OFF+ blade. Please let me know.[h=1][/h]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Heavy, mine is 102g, oversized (longer) blade surface than usual. Similar in play to the Ebenholz (maybe a little bit harder). OK blade if you like the hardwood outer types.

Different (Crisper) feel than composites, but similar power response (low, medium, high impact contrast) profile as the Viscaria (read up Ec/Ep on TTGearlab), but noticeably slower overall.

Hard and crisp on soft bouncing. Moderate leaning towards flexible (mine measures 1268Hz for those that care). Slightly hollow "matchboxy" feeling. Altogether plays softer than one would expect from Ebony blades.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
But what are the benefits and drawbacks of this kind of hard outer wood all wood blade over composite blades like long 5 or innerforce alc?
Heavy, mine is 102g, oversized (longer) blade surface than usual. Similar in play to the Ebenholz (maybe a little bit harder). OK blade if you like the hardwood outer types.

Different (Crisper) feel than composites, but similar power response (low, medium, high impact contrast) profile as the Viscaria (read up Ec/Ep on TTGearlab), but noticeably slower overall.

Hard and crisp on soft bouncing. Moderate leaning towards flexible (mine measures 1268Hz for those that care). Slightly hollow "matchboxy" feeling. Altogether plays softer than one would expect from Ebony blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
But what are the benefits and drawbacks of this kind of hard outer wood all wood blade over composite blades like long 5 or innerforce alc?

Honestly, I didn't like the Absolum very much, and I actively stay away from composite blades. Especially "inner" types which to me combines the worst aspects of poor low impact performance and numb feel. So, if you are looking for someone to convince you to buy either of these, you've got the wrong guy :rolleyes:.

The ebony blades feel a little "clearer", more responsive on flicks than innerforce. But both types feel "inefficient", lacks finishing power. What kind of style do you play? What attributes are you looking for in a blade? Absolum works for Gauzy and Calderano, so there must be something that appeals to them.

Some people like to brush all day rather than hammer down high balls. For them, the innerforce types are good and gives that "dwelly" indirect feel. Some like to focus on precise over the table play and like the Absolum for bouncy flicks. And there are those who aren't satisfied until they get the feel of breaking a hammer on an anvil, like me haha. In which case, both those types are too flimsy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
BTW, the Cornilleau isn't exactly a cheap blade. For that price, you might as well get a Viscaria. Tried and true, works for most people.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Adtually absolum is on sale and is only around 75 usd,

So gauzy uses absolum? Andro just released gauzy sl off. Is it same as absolum? I saw the andro blade it has ebony outer plies and the red abachi wood like the one on absolum. Moreover it is made in sweden like absolum.So should be exactly same right.
BTW, the Cornilleau isn't exactly a cheap blade. For that price, you might as well get a Viscaria. Tried and true, works for most people.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Adtually absolum is on sale and is only around 75 usd,

So gauzy uses absolum? Andro just released gauzy sl off. Is it same as absolum? I saw the andro blade it has ebony outer plies and the red abachi wood like the one on absolum. Moreover it is made in sweden like absolum.So should be exactly same right.

What!? I bought it and now its on sale? Now I have even less good things to say about it:eek:.

A frenchman posted about the Andro a feel months back. I asked, but there are very little first hand experience on the blade. It measures the same, so I would guess as much.

I bought the Cornilleau early this year while talking with a custom blade maker. The idea was a hard ebony blade would achieve a similar level of stiffness as the Clipper even on a thinner construction, The hypothesis was wrong.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What!? I bought it and now its on sale? Now I have even less good things to say about it:eek:.

A frenchman posted about the Andro a feel months back. I asked, but there are very little first hand experience on the blade. It measures the same, so I would guess as much.

I bought the Cornilleau early this year while talking with a custom blade maker. The idea was a hard ebony blade would achieve a similar level of stiffness as the Clipper even on a thinner construction, The hypothesis was wrong.

A TTD member I know bought a new Andro blade that TTD reviewed showing show awesome offense prowess. My friend was SO fired up to get this blade. So... he ordered from a very reputable England TT website... but made ONE mistake. He did not specify a weight range. He ended up getting an upper 70s gram version of that blade...

Of course a 91 gram powerhouse OFF blade is gunna play like a powerhouse, but a 70s gram version is gunna play like kitty cat or Chihuahua... meaning it will play VERY weak... more like an ALL+ version of that blade than an OFF version.

Looks like lasta has almost topped that experience.

Don't feel bad, I bought someone a wedding gift, then my wife told me she saw that same item some time ago on clearance for less than half I paid for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Lasta, how many blades have you Tried? And are you Rich? Haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Lasta, how many blades have you Tried? And are you Rich? Haha

I wish haha. I work at a desk job with a lot of overtime, so playing opportunities are getting limited. I feed the TT passion by looking for blades that fulfills my definition of good feel. Everyone goes through the EJ phase. I like to think (hope) that I'm passed that now...Even rubbers are not so different.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I wish haha. I work at a desk job with a lot of overtime, so playing opportunities are getting limited. I feed the TT passion by looking for blades that fulfills my definition of good feel. Everyone goes through the EJ phase. I like to think (hope) that I'm passed that now...Even rubbers are not so different.

And What Do you use at the moment? Did you play penhold ns short pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi Lula,

Yes, still primarily penhold short pips.

2 of my favourites are DHS 08 and an Double Fish with Blowfish and Victas 102 rubbers. Old antiques, pretty much plays the same.

I'm practising(/trying) shakehand with a custom blade (Limba-Limba-Ayous-Mahogany-Ayous-Limba-Limba) with Victas 102 and Mantra M. Not sure If I'll get serious with it. Stance, muscle groups, overall technique are too different from penhold.

And you? I remember you were trying out all kinds of blades and rubbers a while back. Settled yet?

says Hi thanks for your reply. May I know what rubber are you...
Honestly, I didn't like the Absolum very much, and I actively stay away from composite blades. Especially "inner" types which to me combines the worst aspects of poor low impact performance and numb feel. So, if you are looking for someone to convince you to buy either of these, you've got the wrong guy :rolleyes:.

The ebony blades feel a little "clearer", more responsive on flicks than innerforce. But both types feel "inefficient", lacks finishing power. What kind of style do you play? What attributes are you looking for in a blade? Absolum works for Gauzy and Calderano, so there must be something that appeals to them.

Some people like to brush all day rather than hammer down high balls. For them, the innerforce types are good and gives that "dwelly" indirect feel. Some like to focus on precise over the table play and like the Absolum for bouncy flicks. And there are those who aren't satisfied until they get the feel of breaking a hammer on an anvil, like me haha. In which case, both those types are too flimsy.

Hey wondering if you have also try the Andro Gauzy SL OFF? It is 100% identical to Gatien Absolum OFF or which one is faster or more power. Hope those who have try it could share some information. Thanks:cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hey wondering if you have also try the Andro Gauzy SL OFF? It is 100% identical to Gatien Absolum OFF or which one is faster or more power. Hope those who have try it could share some information. Thanks:cool:

Nope, haven't tried it. But from what I can see online, should be the same formula. It's a fastish blade, but as I said, some people "aren't satisfied until they get the feel of breaking a hammer on an anvil". This is not it. Definitely slower than your Viscaria.

Last edited:
Nope, haven't tried it. But from what I can see online, should be the same formula. It's a fastish blade, but as I said, some people "aren't satisfied until they get the feel of breaking a hammer on an anvil". This is not it. Definitely slower than your Viscaria.

Hi thanks for reply. Agreed it seem Gauzy SL OFF is faster and may be harder than Gatien Absolum. But could not find more review beside DAN and the Andro Japan which hardly understand their Japanese review. Wondering you still using GA or not what you like?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Hi thanks for reply. Agreed it seem Gauzy SL OFF is faster and may be harder than Gatien Absolum. But could not find more review beside DAN and the Andro Japan which hardly understand their Japanese review. Wondering you still using GA or not what you like?

I'm a little confused by your logic. If it's the same structure, how did you conclude that it seems faster and harder? In any case, the standard weight is supposed to be <95g, so if anything, you'll have a higher chance of getting something slower than my 104g version...

As posted before, didn't like it: too flexible, too hollow. I like mine stiff and solid.

BTW, when reading online reviews, try to keep an objective mind. Phrases like "I didn't like it" should mean nothing to you while "flexible and hollow" will tell you a lot about a blade.

Cheers!

Hi lasta, reason being i would say that is based on someone who had tried Gauzy SL and GA . As you may also know even both Gauzy SL OFF and Gatien Absolum have a similar structure , we wont know what are the process both Andro and Cornilleau use in drying out the wood, gluing each ply & etc. So those process will also affected the wood playing characteristic. Take a example Timo Boll ALC, VIscaria, LGY ALC & ZJK ALC (all wood with same structure but each blade feel differently in control and speed). This is where I trying to explain here.:)

So i am actually asking whether anyone have try GA and Gauzy SL OFF with same rubber on both wood then should be able to give a better or clearer information of the two woods. Understand that Gatien Absolum it bit soft and need to match with harder degree rubber like Cornilleau X51 but since you had the wood you would be able to share more on this.