ZJK: Screw You, ITTF!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
No. There's an unwritten rule that anyone pro-ITTF is not allowed to join a table tennis forum. There's also an unwritten rule that all forum members are expected to complain about the ITTF whenever they get an opportunity. Logic might suggest that it's impossible for an organisation and all its members to be 100% corrupt 100% of the time, but apparently that is the case with the ITTF.

None of us are anti ITTF. We just want them to be better. The last few years have not been great.

In the greater scheme of things this is not huge.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Seems normal to wish for events to be conducted in a fair manner towards all players, ITTF or not ITTF. Don't know what's prompting vvk1 to be a tool here ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do not believe vvk1 is being a tool or whatever. ZDon't buy it.

I believe he believes what he is saying, I have never seen him do make a written statement on ttd he doesn't believe in.

Reactions: NextLevel and Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I believe there is lack of objectivity on both sides of the argument and like anything to do with CNT and ITTF ( the two most mysterious identities in international table tennis ) we will never know what is true ....

I see vvk1 posting excerpts out of ITTF rule book to objectively prove that legally speaking ITTF can change the draw .. but also liking posts by rain which are obviously filled with subjective conjectures like why did ZJK's agency say it was waist injury , there might be something fishy going on etc ...

on the otherside , obviously we are arguing that re-draw is not impartial and vvk1 has proven that there is a legal bylaw that can be used to do it ... so obviously the question is ... why is there the bylaw ? .. have any of you heard of re-draw in other sports after qualifications are done ? I haven't ... not in soccer, not in tennis , not in cricket .. the sports I follow in general ...

I do not believe vvk1 is being a tool or whatever. ZDon't buy it.

I believe he believes what he is saying, I have never seen him do make a written statement on ttd he doesn't believe in.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Objectively we can conclude that rain is not objective about ZJK. This is not news. She can sometimes provide a lot of insight into Chinese table tennis but I long ago stopped paying any attention to what she wrote about this particular player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes, I have the same impression of most of the known fan club members including both sides .. . ...
Objectively we can conclude that rain is not objective about ZJK. This is not news. She can sometimes provide a lot of insight into Chinese table tennis but I long ago stopped paying any attention to what she wrote about this particular player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
http://sports.qianlong.com/2018/0815/2762612.shtml

After Matt ponte response in social media , Fans didnt buy it and and commented against it fiercely , Although the ITTF's explanation is untenable, in the 2019 tour schedule announced on the official website, they quietly reduced the Korean Open, which was originally a platinum event, to an ordinary event. This seems to be a way for the ITTF to accept the unfairness and Zhang Jike is finally considered fair. ( I dont know this has happened newly or not , but it appears to be true )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

having a crush on other players can blur ur vision :p She will stop hating eventually

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
when one gets full time job and try to do part time table tennis coaching, one doesn't have time to become full time fan girl and spend hours of time on many many forums
i think the girl can enjoy her time while time is on her side still and must not demand another forum user to have so much time on hand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I believe there is lack of objectivity on both sides of the argument and like anything to do with CNT and ITTF ( the two most mysterious identities in international table tennis ) we will never know what is true ....

I see vvk1 posting excerpts out of ITTF rule book to objectively prove that legally speaking ITTF can change the draw .. but also liking posts by rain which are obviously filled with subjective conjectures like why did ZJK's agency say it was waist injury , there might be something fishy going on etc ...

on the otherside , obviously we are arguing that re-draw is not impartial and vvk1 has proven that there is a legal bylaw that can be used to do it ... so obviously the question is ... why is there the bylaw ? .. have any of you heard of re-draw in other sports after qualifications are done ? I haven't ... not in soccer, not in tennis , not in cricket .. the sports I follow in general ...

from what I read (i'm only a qualified coach, not umpire), the bylaws has that the countries affected must approve
so if CNT did not approve to the redraw, such redraw cannot hold.
if I was CNT, i would say no to 1st draw and say yes to 2nd - when its 3 chinese vs non chinese

never the less, you are right, maybe because table tennis is such a small sport, no one cares if there is dodgy behind the scenes going on.

imagine if some dodgy draws happen to team India in cricket, we would have riots

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
when one gets full time job and try to do part time table tennis coaching, one doesn't have time to become full time fan girl and spend hours of time on many many forums
i think the girl can enjoy her time while time is on her side still and must not demand another forum user to have so much time on hand

Yeah right . As a full time accountant its really hard to concentrate on sth except your job but as I am a TT lover and a TTD addict I try to review the forum at least every two days if time let me to come , so its really hard to post at once especially when it needs translation . And even going to every site to check things is more difficult , like going to read every news and artical in ITTF .... Its impossible .

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Coming into this late, but has anyone given any reason for a redraw to have taken place in this event? It's one thing to say the rules allow it. There should still be a reason and that reason should not be secret. If it is secret, why is that necessary?

The only thing that comes to mind is a lot of withdrawals and add-ins to the set of players. If more than 25% change or something, then re-draw. That is maybe more fair than deciding which substitute players to put in which spots on a draw that is already made.

Other than that I can't think of a legit reason. Doesn't mean thre aren't some.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
imagine if some dodgy draws happen to team India in cricket, we would have riots
LOL. Dodgy draws happen all the time in cricket - because of India. The BCCI is now so dominant that it owns international cricket. The ICC is completely manipulated by them, so much so that numerous instances of dodgy behaviour are never questioned or swept under the carpet. Yes, there would be riots if the BBCI was ever sanctioned, but that is a statement about how the Indian public has come to expect that India gets whatever it wants.

Sorry, but you need a much better example than that.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
LOL. Dodgy draws happen all the time in cricket - because of India. The BCCI is now so dominant that it owns international cricket. The ICC is completely manipulated by them, so much so that numerous instances of dodgy behaviour are never questioned or swept under the carpet. Yes, there would be riots if the BBCI was ever sanctioned, but that is a statement about how the Indian public has come to expect that India gets whatever it wants.

Sorry, but you need a much better example than that.

haha
you can see I don't have too much time on my hand
but never the less, you raise another good point
India or BCCI dominants Crickets
so China sure doesn't dominate table tennis, as for what I see, most favours goes against China, as someone pointed up earlier in this thread, the Korea open is just a small part of what "unfairness" we have seen

maybe all world sports body is the same - dodgy dodgy dodgy

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Coming into this late, but has anyone given any reason for a redraw to have taken place in this event? It's one thing to say the rules allow it. There should still be a reason and that reason should not be secret. If it is secret, why is that necessary?

The only thing that comes to mind is a lot of withdrawals and add-ins to the set of players. If more than 25% change or something, then re-draw. That is maybe more fair than deciding which substitute players to put in which spots on a draw that is already made.

Other than that I can't think of a legit reason. Doesn't mean thre aren't some.
No, absolutely no reason given, according to Peng You's report.

Contrary to Matt Pound's response, the whole fiasco started because the prelim bracket was not done "according to our rules and regulations." So, Matt, if you're reading this, here's a U for your explanation, for useless.

If my reasoning is sound, then Zena Sim was not up to date on the new directive about filling the bracket in sequential order. She probably referred to the "Seamaster 2018 ITTF World Tour Sport Specific Information" and was appalled that there was nothing written on the prelim bracket. The associations were kept in the loop but no one cared to update that shit on the ITTF website.

Here's what Matt summed up as "despite some technical issues...was done transparently and according to our rules and regulations":

The prelim bracket was not done "according to our rules and regulations" in the very 1st place. Instead of filling the bracket in sequential order, a draw was conducted, likely without the presence, knowledge and consent of any players, at the (sole?) discretion of Competition Manager Zena Sim. Shit hits the fan.

YMC6hSf.gif

The players complained and a 2nd draw was conducted. Again, not "according to our rules and regulations."

YMC6hSf.gif

Zena Sim had a "oh, shit" moment. Either she looked up how it was done for past Opens, or someone let her in on the "secret." She proceeded to correct it such that it was "according to our rules and regulations." This is provided by rule 3.6.4:

Alterations

The draw may be altered only to correct errors and genuine misunderstandings in the notification and acceptance of entry, to correct serious imbalance, as provided in 3.6.5, or to include additional players or pairs, as provided in 3.6.6.

giphy.gif

Nice move, Matt!

Last edited: