4 New Colour Rubbers Confirmed!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hey everyone!

In April 2019, the ITTF announced they are going to introduce new colour rubbers to table tennis to give the sport more colour and life. The ITTF equipment team have spent the last few months testing which colours to go for and have announced the 4 new colours! It's official, TableTennisDaily have spoken with head of equipment at the ITTF Claudia Herweg who has made the announced that the 4 new rubber colours for table tennis will come in effect as of the October 1st 2021! The colours are:

- Blue
- Green
- Pink
- Purple

What do you think of the colours?

colourrubber2021tabletennis.jpg

Bernadette Szocs using the pink rubber at the 2019 T2 Diamond Singapore event (Photo via T2 Diamond)

In November 2019, T2 Diamond Singapore were testing the different rubber colours with the players in the training hall. Dan took on Adam in a fun challenge match using the new colour rubbers. See below:

Claudia sent this photo to TableTennisDaily. The 4 rubbers used during testing:

colourrubbers1.jpeg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Any confirmation if existing rubbers be available in specific colours like Rasanter R48 be blue/green etc, or they'll launch new set of rubbers for those colors?

Blue bluefire, green rasanter, pink golden tango ps, good influx of colors <3

Reactions: Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I dont like the look of this, I hope that rubbers wont be available fe. only in green or only in blue. I dont mind if someone will use green or pink rubber but I dont really like this and I hope that I will never have to play with rubber with color like this because red or black wont be in stock.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
wow this will be interesting, was watching timo bolls video other day where he mentions black is generally ever so slightly heavier than red makes me wonder if the new colours will change this....more importantly if it will be distracting if your opponent has the brighter colours

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Can't wait for the EJ debates on which color of the same rubber and sponge thickness has better spin, feel, power, etc. ????

Can you use any color combination or must 1 side be either black or red.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
I actually did a little research and what I read is that the pigment that will be used to make black rubber pink, green etc. is same as the one that makes black rubber red so the there will be no difference between pink and red or green and red. Maybe some of You dont know but the original rubber color is black and pigment makes it red and this pigment is available in red and these colors that ittf will make legal. This pigment also makes the rubber a little bit stiffier, amateurs dont see the difference but that is why pros always use black rubber on their better side (Zhang JK played with black on BH and Ma Long and Fan ZD and many others have black on their FH). Making long story short, the colored rubbers will feel 1:1 like red rubbers but I still think that it wont bring anything to Table Tennis and if ITTF want to make TT more popular they should develop other things, not the color of the rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
I don’t generally speculate but let’s have one here. The most we see will be in premade rackets since they are sold to ‘unsophisticated’ players. Then there may be a limited number of popular rubbers, such as Tenergy, 729, since these have enough volume. In this department, don’t forget Asia & China where cheap rubbers have volume and fierce competition, sold to juniors.

And if some very top players, very likely female, use certain rubbers in certain colours, there will be “premium” version of those.

note that this change specifically targets juniors to join the sport. So again, development would show up in that area rather than in the “enthusiast” space.

In the end of the day, demands and cost determine supply.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Think about it this way - “Dad, Coach says Tenergy is the best rubber, it’s twice as durable, AND it’s in BLUE”