Defensive setup with an offensive carbon blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hi all,

I have a spare blade, Yinhe Y-4, that is a very stiff 5-ply carbon blade. I want to try long pimples for chopping to have some fun and better understand the rubber/style.

1) Does it make sens at all, or whatever I put on the blade, it will repulse like a gun?
2) If the answer to 1) is negative, what kind of long pimples on backhand will be good? Will Hurricane 8 be good as a chopping rubber for forehand or I will need an even slower rubber? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the setup, so cheap chinese rubbers are fine

This user has no status.
Hi all,

I have a spare blade, Yinhe Y-4, that is a very stiff 5-ply carbon blade. I want to try long pimples for chopping to have some fun and better understand the rubber/style.

1) Does it make sens at all, or whatever I put on the blade, it will repulse like a gun?
2) If the answer to 1) is negative, what kind of long pimples on backhand will be good? Will Hurricane 8 be good as a chopping rubber for forehand or I will need an even slower rubber? I don't want to spend a lot of money on the setup, so cheap chinese rubbers are fine
you will get more reversal

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
Y 4 can make a good blocker blade, due to rather slow return, for carbon blade. :)

Consider it as poor man Joo See Hyuk or Hallmark Aurora. :)

That means, low spin soft driving rubber, or soft high reversal blocking pips would work well. :)

I doubt any Hurricane and any hard spinny rubber work well on Y 4 though. The dwell time too short for tackiness or grippiness or spin potential to kick in, “bonsai”ing spinny rubber true potential.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
IN general, if you slap on some OX LP on BH wing, and block off the bounce, you will be a king of funk and "reversal".

Over 1/2 the O40 Korean ladies use such a setup, but they are a hybrid defensive/pushy offensive kinda player different from the rest of the crowd.

They basically use the OX LP to block fast drives that are pretty void of spin or stick it out there and "reverse" (really continue spin) on a spinny loop. The biggest thing they do with their pips is to be OFFENSIVE and AGGRESSIVELY punch underspin to make a medium fast topspin drive that is often a winner.

If you give them a loose ball to their FH, they will turn on a dime and SKULL-DRUG SMASH that sucker and say goodbye to the ball as it breaks the sound barrier exiting the playing area.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Thank you all for your suggestions, especially Der_Echte :) A clubmate just gave me a spare sheet of Butterfly Feint Long 3, I will try them on the next training session -- it will be my first time playing with a non-inverted rubber. I will keep in mind about OX pips, maybe order a sheet next time I order rubbers for my main setup.

There are so many players with combination bats on tournaments, but there are only few in our club. So I hope that I will be able to understand long pimples better with this bat.