a lesson on how to get banned from more than one profile

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2019
I’m new to the sport and always find it a little confusing when a westerner acts like they’re from another county when playing table tennis. It’s like when a white girl gets her hair braided in the Caribbean and speaks patois for a week when they come home from their holidays. But in this case it seems to be permanent for table tennis players. Can we not create our own ‘cho’? Like ‘avit’? There must be an alternative that’s less, ya know, cringey.

Also there’s a strange noise the chinese make. Fan does it. It’s like when a tiger chuffs. It’s hard to describe it’s like a ‘huff cho huff’ muttering. I heard Dan do it after he wiped the table tennis table for the 40th time on a video. Absolutely bizarre.

All opinions welcome.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Speaking about cringey. How about use terminology indicating that someone is acting like another (in this case "another country" was used but in many of the cases you pointed out, you could just say race. See example of white girl with dreds.

Now you weren't inflammatory with your comments so I'll just say this.

I don't care if a white girl gets dreds after visiting the Caribbean. Nor do I care if someone chos. It's part of the table tennis culture as a whole and isn't going anywhere. I've heard some English speaking players say "Come On" when trying to pump themselves up. It means about the same to me. Which is little to nothing.

I play penhold. A grip popularized by mostly Asian players of yesteryear. Is that weird of me? Does anybody care?

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Wow, suds, you’re clearly not somebody I should be trifling with and obviously know your stuff. Thanks for letting me off so lightly!

Please don’t conflate inanimate objects with people emulating another country and culture.

I bet you shout ‘CHO’ after you press submit text on a thread.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Rule 73. Upon joining a table tennis forum you are not allowed to engage in any flame war until your second month even if someone is wrong on the internet, especially in reply to threads that have had no activity in more than five years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Even Chole might not be as Chinese as you thought though.

From my understanding, cho-le is not a Chinese word, and exists exclusively in the context of table tennis.

Therefore, I would like to suggest that it is more of an international table tennis culture rather than Chinese.

Many non-Chinese professional players also cho

E.g. Miu Hirano

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow, suds, you’re clearly not somebody I should be trifling with and obviously know your stuff. Thanks for letting me off so lightly!

Please don’t conflate inanimate objects with people emulating another country and culture.

I bet you shout ‘CHO’ after you press submit text on a thread.

Oh good one. Got me. You know what you're right. I wasn't following & you're completely fine with no issues at all.

But please elighten us. Can you expand upon why it's chringey if a white girl were to get dreds after visiting the Caribbean and as you say speak in patois after such a visit? I'm sure we'd all love to hear more on this.

cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Oh good one. Got me. You know what you're right. I have wasn't following & you're completely fine with no issues at all.

But please elighten us. Can you expand upon why it's chringey if a white girl were to get dreds after visiting the Caribbean and as you say speak in patois after such a visit? I'm sure we'd all love to hear more on this.

cache.php

‘Us’ ‘we’ stop hiding behind numbers that don’t exist, dude. You’ve feigned offence and it backfired. If a white guy speaks like flavour flave its embarrassing. A western girl adopting another dialect for a week is the same.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why Do you think cho is a typical chinese thing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
It was typical now it’s typical for everyone to do it. Even with a Chinese accent. The latter element making it especially cringey.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
It's the corrupted pronounciation for the word "Ball" in Mandarin. When a good hit is made, the congratulatory phrase is "How Chui" - meaning "Good Ball." It's abbreviated to just "Chui" and corrupted by non-mandarin speakers to "cho."

It’s official: Dan has been corrupted by another table tennis player. Possibly in his teen years.

This thread is turning into a spotlight investigation

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I still think cho is not so much a chinese thing. But i Do react if non france players scream ale ale ale. That i find pretty funny.

This user has no status.
Why Does Dan use Chinese characteristics when he plays?

This is so stupid. Why can’t people express themselves however they want.

Oh no it’s the culture police coming to inform us that something popular has been emulated / repeated by someone with the wrong type of DNA.

By the way... I’ve seen Chinese coaches at clubs encouraging ALL their students to Cho (when winning really good points). So, people pick up on things simply because most of the coaches and people that they play with are Chinese.

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
What no one has mentioned yet is that there's not just the cho-sound. There's lots of variations including "chu", "chole", "chuli", "toh", and so on. It does sound like it originates from an asian language, if not Chinese. And it might even be true that "cho" originally stems from the chinese 球 qiú (pronounced something like chieuw), but it's certainly not true that Dan has "corrupted" it. He doesn't say it any differently than anybody else does. Everybody all over the world does it. If you walk in a table tennis club on the countryside of Switzerland you can hear shouts of "Cho", so it's kinda absurd to try and pin this on Dan.

Besides, to give you some evidence that it doesn't mean anything in Chinese: a couple years ago I lived in Taiwan (which is a Chinese speaking country) and took a friend to watch a table tennis tournament. She's Taiwanese, and she was not familiar with the sport at all at that time. And when a player got a point and exclaimed chuli or something similar, she asked me what they were saying. So there you have it ;)

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I heard FZD and other Chinese say 'come on' after some points. Clearly they are very corrupted by the evil English culture and should be suspended from the CNT for not behaving like a model citizen.

And even worse, Harimoto, traitor to the Chinese homeland, dares to disgrace the Chinese further by using 'cho' and 'chole' after every point, corrupting Chinese intellectual property. He needs to be punished by ITTF asap as well.

The only thing cringey here is this kind of Nazi logic.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Obey Rule 2. Then people would need to find some other bizarre reason to go through life whilst aggrieved.