Alternative to Primorac Carbon

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
This is the exact reason why I'm guessing balsa.
But actually many wood types have lines at the end grain.
Well actually Balsa and Kiri can be mistaken easily. Kiri is a fast growing tree, if a young tree is cut its limbers may actually "look like" Balsa. But I'm sorry for you: if the endgrain is very pronouced with lines, it's a 100% Kiri
https://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/royal-paulownia-endgrain.jpg

https://www.wood-database.com/wp-content/uploads/balsa-endgrain-s.jpg[h3]
Paulownia[/h3]

(Paulownia spp.)

[h3]260 lbf (1,160 N)[/h3]

The other Balsa. Paulownia can be very light and soft, and is really the only other wood that at times can even approach Balsa’s lightness. Ironically, both are hardwoods.

in https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/top-ten-softest-woods/

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Just an FYI - Speaking purely in terms of Blades that are similar in composition to Pimorac Carbon, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned BTY Schlager Carbon ...
I think no one mentioned it because OP is wondering about a blade that's basically a Primorac Carbon without carbon but in which the wood layers are made thicker to make up for the loss of carbon, so an all-wood blade that would maintain a lot of the feel and speed of the Primorac Carbon.

Plus, the Butterfly Schlager Carbon, while being the same composition as the Primorac Carbon, is a lot thicker (7.4mm vs. 6.9mm) so a lot harder and faster, and it's been discontinued for 10 years so you have to buy it from individual sellers for a lot of money. Otherwise, if OP wanted a blade fairly similar to Primorac Carbon, we could have recommended the Gergely Carbon (very large head, bit slower), the Gergely 21 (6.9mm, small head), the Gergely Alpha (7.1mm, small head), the Sardius (7.0mm, larger head, faster), Garaydia T5000 (7.2mm, faster yet), or the Schlager Light (6.2mm, softer, slower, much more flexible)...

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I don't know if getting rid of the carbon will give you the same feel, you'll have to let us know!

If you take Butterfly blades, the Hadraw VK is a Timo Boll ALC without the carbon, and the Korbel Japan, a Harimoto ALC without the carbon. I own these 4 blades and while there are similarities in feel between the VK and TB on one hand, and the Korbel and Harimoto on the other, especially in top ply and overall thickness feel, they mostly feel quite different from other another in terms of touch, the Korbel feeling much softer than the Harimoto for example.

Last edited:
I believe it's the Hinoki outer layer, it feels amazing when You hit hard, so that the rubber almost bottoms out. This feeling I don't have in any other blade.

I will report the result in this thread....

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I believe it's the Hinoki outer layer, it feels amazing when You hit hard, so that the rubber almost bottoms out. This feeling I don't have in any other blade.

I will report the result in this thread....
Yea, that's what I've heard about the feeling of hinoki blades, I've yet to try one. There are several hinoki blades I'd like to try from single-ply, 5-ply hinoki, to different plies with hinoki outers with and without carbon. I have a Cornilleau Hinotec I've been meaning to test, and I have ordered the Butterfly Effort 70th Anniversary blade (ALC hinoki outer), which I haven't decided whether I'll try or just keep unused as a collector's item.

Yea, that's what I've heard about the feeling of hinoki blades, I've yet to try one. There are several hinoki blades I'd like to try from single-ply, 5-ply hinoki, to different plies with hinoki outers with and without carbon. I have a Cornilleau Hinotec I've been meaning to test, and I have ordered the Butterfly Effort 70th Anniversary blade (ALC hinoki outer), which I haven't decided whether I'll try or just keep unused as a collector's item.

Yeah, I was thinking about that one too, but there is a bloody limit to how many blades a man can own 🤩
(the 70th anniversary)

• Haha
This user has no status.
I think no one mentioned it because OP is wondering about a blade that's basically a Primorac Carbon without carbon but in which the wood layers are made thicker to make up for the loss of carbon, so an all-wood blade that would maintain a lot of the feel and speed of the Primorac Carbon.

Plus, the Butterfly Schlager Carbon, while being the same composition as the Primorac Carbon, is a lot thicker (7.4mm vs. 6.9mm) so a lot harder and faster, and it's been discontinued for 10 years so you have to buy it from individual sellers for a lot of money. Otherwise, if OP wanted a blade fairly similar to Primorac Carbon, we could have recommended the Gergely Carbon (very large head, bit slower), the Gergely 21 (6.9mm, small head), the Gergely Alpha (7.1mm, small head), the Sardius (7.0mm, larger head, faster), Garaydia T5000 (7.2mm, faster yet), or the Schlager Light (6.2mm, softer, slower, much more flexible)...

Hi Thomas, the Primorac is 7.0 mm ( I use it since several years), not 6.9 and everybody forgot the Garaydia ZLC which is close to the primorac but a bit slower. Discontinued but still available in Europe at least in FL and AN.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Hi Thomas, the Primorac is 7.0 mm ( I use it since several years), not 6.9 and everybody forgot the Garaydia ZLC which is close to the primorac but a bit slower. Discontinued but still available in Europe at least in FL and AN.

Hey Gwenved, the Primorac Carbon has only been listed by Butterfly at 7.0mm in recent years (since at least 2016, but perhaps a bit before). Prior to that, it was 6.9mm as listed in Butterfly catalogs dating as far back as 2003 (in 2001, their catalogs still didn't list blades' thickness). Like several other Butterfly blades (Viscaria, Timo Boll ALC, Innerforce series...), it has gained 0.1mm in thickness to cope with the plastic ball.

Last edited:
OK, I got the Tibhar H-3-9 (Thanks short_pimple). I happened to have a pair of Tibhar EL-S Lying around so hopefully I get to test it next week.
I noticed there was an argument of the H-3-9 thickness, I measured this one to be 7mm.
The weight of the naked blade was 89g and dressed 186g.

I will post again in this thread with the test result.

Cheers
L-zr

Updated 2021-0-21 10:20 (Utc+1)
A bounce test seems to confirm short_pimples assertion that it is significantly slower (At least with this rubber)

Last edited: