Best Long Pip Blockers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Best Long Pip Blocking players?

Anyone have a good list, or at least a few names, of some of the best long pip blocking players? Either amateur or professional, though most likely amateur at this point!

Players who use their LP's to block the majority of points and shots. Not really those forehand attacking oriented inverted players that just use LP every now and then, like Liu Song.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I use both the cheapest and the most expensive LP. I think they do not make much difference unless your skill improves. I currently use either Dawai 388D OX or 388D with 1mm sponge. They are much better than any Dr. Neubauer's (very expensive and do not last at all) or Butterfly's Long II, III and they are dirt cheap!
[h=3][/h]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I use both the cheapest and the most expensive LP. I think they do not make much difference unless your skill improves. I currently use either Dawai 388D OX or 388D with 1mm sponge. They are much better than any Dr. Neubauer's (very expensive and do not last at all) or Butterfly's Long II, III and they are dirt cheap!

Oh, sorry there tropical if it wasn't clear enough in the post. I was asking about PLAYERS who are long pip blockers, not the actual pips to use per se. Unless you're tossing your hat into the ring! :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
She's a good one, but a little bit forehand oriented so I excluded her. But her earlier games she is less so...

I think without a good forehand LP is a sitting duck waiting to be killed. Once the opponent figures out the dead and weird spin you will have a tough time.

Reactions: suds79
I think without a good forehand LP is a sitting duck waiting to be killed. Once the opponent figures out the dead and weird spin you will have a tough time.

Not really. As I showed above, there are several examples of players where a good forehand is not needed...up to ~2300. Placement and pace mitigate the fact that the pushblocker cannot change/add the spin. Even when attackers "Figure out" the dead/weird spin, they rarely can only do that and react appropriately to balls that are placed in predictable spots.

Of course...anyone would rather have both.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016

Seems to be true even for lower levels! When I was doing the LP blocking style, some people would just do really 'paddy cake' style returns. Kind of bopping the ball back over without much of anything, and up fairly high. They'd do this until they could hit a winner against me.

So I stopped relying on the LP blocks alone and began attacking those goofy balls. Because I thought, if I were using inverted or short pips, and those balls were coming at me, what would I do? A slower paced block over and over? No! I'd slam it back for a winner! And so that's what I've been working on, with a good degree of success. Having the kill shot on the opposite wing keeps them honest so to speak. I did that enough to where the other players started going for more attacks, and then the fun of LP blocking returned. Same thing with chopping.

If you only push/chop and don't attack, then your opponent has no reason to play it safe. They can just get the ball back over anyway they please, and be confident knowing you won't finish it off.

Which means the Pushblocker deserves even more credit! Getting to a 2000+ rating using essentially only backhand blocking/punch blocking.

Last edited:
You must have good forehand to be better than this level. These 2100-2300 players in the videos may not be the same level as folks in CA where people are somehow familiar with LP. Most folks who have problem with LP because they are low rating and not familiar with LP players.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Shanazari above lives in California. Pamela Song and McAfee have competed all across the US and have played lots of California tournaments and done quite well. McAfee is a coach and works for USATT. Mader (Pushblocker) has competed all over the US.

Stefan Kostadinovic is World Ranked out of Serbia an has defeated players in the top 200, including Marko Jevtovic who was WR 135 at the time he defeated him. And Eastern Europe is VERY familiar with Long Pips play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Well we can agree to disagree but I do not follow your argument. We were talking about <2300 then you mentioned world class LP player??? Local players (not CA or competitive areas ) have high rating because they are exposed to less advanced players. This is common knowledge. Whenever I meet a player of 2100 from less competitive areas I know I have a chance I can beat him/her!

All the good LP player 2200 to 2300 have good forehand AFAIK. I am generalizing here and of course there are exceptions. But again, a good LP player should or must have a good forehand (and footwork too.)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Seems to be true even for lower levels! When I was doing the LP blocking style, some people would just do really 'paddy cake' style returns. Kind of bopping the ball back over without much of anything, and up fairly high. They'd do this until they could hit a winner against me.

So I stopped relying on the LP blocks alone and began attacking those goofy balls.

That's what you have to do. Have to punish easy balls. Either twiddle & hit or run around and hit it with your FH.

Otherwise, this happens to you....

See how Cory serves Oliver the majority of this match.

Last edited:
Well we can agree to disagree but I do not follow your argument.
Of course we can agree to disagree. I’m not trying to be impolite, just explaining why I think what you said isn’t quite correct. No disrespect intended.

We were talking about <2300 then you mentioned world class LP player???
The OP asked for PRO or Amateur who use their LPs for the "Majority of Points and Shots." I gave such examples. It’s not like I pulled that out of nowhere.

Local players (not CA or competitive areas ) have high rating because they are exposed to less advanced players. This is common knowledge. Whenever I meet a player of 2100 from less competitive areas I know I have a chance I can beat him/her!
You are suggesting that the LP players are facing people unfamiliar with pips or from "Less Completitive" places. I’m telling you they aren’t. Those examples are against opposition very familiar with playing against pips, or from very competitive areas. Shanazari lives in CA, and has played and beat several high ranked and even world ranked players. Same goes for Kostadinovic. The latter is from a region VERY familiar with Long pips. Based on that, I disagree with your assertion. No disrespect implied, just disagreement based on evidence.

All the good LP player 2200 to 2300 have good forehand AFAIK. I am generalizing here and of course there are exceptions. But again, a good LP player should or must have a good forehand (and footwork too.)
Again, this is not true as evidenced by my examples. Of course anyone would prefer to have both a powerful forehand to go with their LP play. All I’m saying is, having a poor forehand won’t necessarily prevent one from reaching 2200 and 2300. I’m not pulling that out of nowhere, the examples listed refute your statement.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews

Of course we can agree to disagree. I’m not trying to be impolite, just explaining why I think what you said isn’t quite correct. No disrespect intended.

The OP asked for PRO or Amateur who use their LPs for the "Majority of Points and Shots." I gave such examples. It’s not like I pulled that out of nowhere.

You are suggesting that the LP players are facing people unfamiliar with pips or from "Less Completitive" places. I’m telling you they aren’t. Those examples are against opposition very familiar with playing against pips, or from very competitive areas. Shanazari lives in CA, and has played and beat several high ranked and even world ranked players. Same goes for Kostadinovic. The latter is from a region VERY familiar with Long pips. Based on that, I disagree with your assertion. No disrespect implied, just disagreement based on evidence.

Again, this is not true as evidenced by my examples. Of course anyone would prefer to have both a powerful forehand to go with their LP play. All I’m saying is, having a poor forehand won’t necessarily prevent one from reaching 2200 and 2300. I’m not pulling that out of nowhere, the examples listed refute your statement.

I took a look at Oliver Madder whose highest rating was 2300 in 2011 but took a dive after that. His current rating is only 2067. This is a good example to prove backhand only/oriented LP player is not effective as more opponents get more familiar with his style. Also his style doesn't work well with short people whose arms are short like me.

Stefan Kostadinovic backhand is good but he must use forehand to attack so your point about BH only doesn't make sense here. The way he stands on the left of the table means he is ready to block or attack balls on his FH side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I took a look at Oliver Madder whose highest rating was 2300 in 2011 but took a dive after that. His current rating is only 2067. This is a good example to prove backhand only/oriented LP player is not effective as more opponents get more familiar with his style. Also his style doesn't work well with short people whose arms are short like me.

Stefan Kostadinovic backhand is good but he must use forehand to attack so your point about BH only doesn't make sense here. The way he stands on the left of the table means he is ready to block or attack balls on his FH side.

Part of Olivier Mader decline, he had a new child, stated he is spending more time there, than playing table tennis. He recently beat a player rated 2392 in a tournament.

Reactions: JustANoob