Best footwear for a beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Just been playing a few weeks at local sports centre and enjoying playing twice a week at a table tennis club they started.
The trainers I have don't have a good grip and I slide a bit the first week so was told to go barefoot to be safer. I don't have any other trainers so have had to go completely barefoot for last 3 weeks as they won't allow other shoes or even socks.
I have decent shorts and top to play in but don't like being barefoot all evening as there are about 12 of us and only two tables so a bit of sitting and watching before I go on and play. I can afford much just now as I am a student so is it best just to keep going in my bare feet or saving up for decent footwear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Debbie most "court" shoes will work well. Look up table tennis, volleyball, or badminton shoes. Most table tennis companies have a line of shoes. Asics are a good middle ground, and something you may be able to try on at your local shoe store. Ali express has a bunch, but I don't know the quality. Here's a link to some that look decent. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803451654914.html?spm=a2g0o.home.15002.13.650c2145Pw3fck&gps-id=pcJustForYou&scm=1007.13562.275843.0&scm_id=1007.13562.275843.0&scm-url=1007.13562.275843.0&pvid=b2d8d610-c9b1-4c70-89df-41f0f5ea7439&_t=gps-id:pcJustForYou,scm-url:1007.13562.275843.0,pvid:b2d8d610-c9b1-4c70-89df-41f0f5ea7439,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238108%231977&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000026599006648%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%223562%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2122.33%21%21%21%21%21%40210312cb16572035718125401e09c1%2112000026599006648%21rec

In the end, shoes that have that "gum" sole will work.

Reactions: yoass and Tipiak

NDH

says Spin to win!

Hi Debbie,

Assuming you are in the UK (according to your flag), I'd pick some squash shoes from Sports Direct (or another High Street sports store).

There are some table tennis websites you can check out, that sometimes have good offers on shoes.

Tees Sport
Thorntons
Bribar

But anything that has a "gum" type sole will be fine (like this)

https://bribartt.co.uk/product/joola-touch-19-table-tennis-shoes/

Note - Stay away from running shoes - You'll have no lateral support and you'll probably poke a toe through the fabric!

Reactions: Tipiak and Debbie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Hi Debbie,

Assuming you are in the UK (according to your flag), I'd pick some squash shoes from Sports Direct (or another High Street sports store).

There are some table tennis websites you can check out, that sometimes have good offers on shoes.

Tees Sport
Thorntons
Bribar

Note - Stay away from running shoes - You'll have no lateral support and you'll probably poke a toe through the fabric!

Thanks, will need to wait till end of month as need more hours for part time job. Some of the trainers I have looked at are fairly expensive but hopefully I can get a pair to wear for table tennis and also use when going for a walk or night out. Been playing twice a week for a couple of hours each time as well as watching so learning pretty well and managed to win the odd game( we play to 11 points so we all get a few games each). So far have probably done about 8 matches in my bare feet and it seems alright and floor not too cold thankfully. Just not sure if playing barefoot is okay to do in the long run.
I will also need my own table tennis bat soon so will need to decide if I want to get that first.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022

Thanks, will need to wait till end of month as need more hours for part time job. Some of the trainers I have looked at are fairly expensive but hopefully I can get a pair to wear for table tennis and also use when going for a walk or night out. Been playing twice a week for a couple of hours each time as well as watching so learning pretty well and managed to win the odd game( we play to 11 points so we all get a few games each). So far have probably done about 8 matches in my bare feet and it seems alright and floor not too cold thankfully. Just not sure if playing barefoot is okay to do in the long run.
I will also need my own table tennis bat soon so will need to decide if I want to get that first.

Don't be afraid to get a good pair of TT shoes, as it is a crucial piece of gear that will greatly help you improve faster and enjoy TT more. Also, unlike rubbers, a good pair of shoes can last you many many years, so really it will be among the smallest of your costs in the long run. If you want a more versatile court shoe (gum rubber + good foot support + better cushioning), you can get a volleyball shoe like the asics gel rocket, which you can use for a variety of court activites (vollyball, badminton, basketball, raquetball, etc.). But I think the differences of a TT specific shoe is big enough to recommend that you get a TT pair.

If there is a store that sells court shoes, I highly recommend you go try some on rather than order online. Ordering online you risk getting the wrong size, and in TT, you need a perfect fit to play your best. You need a snug shoe that prevents you foot from sliding around when performing quick lateral movements on the balls of your feet. So, test that quick shuffle step when determining size. Another way to say it, get the smallest size that does not cause toe pain.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Having been a student myself I understand how hard it can be to make ends meet. If you are a beginner and playing more for fun then try not to go to much expense on footwear.. You should get a decent table tennis bat for up to £30, if you have a decent sports shop near by or ask at the sports centre you go to.
I guess it must be a wooden floor where you play before you slipped so something went tread/ grip will be good.
Have you not got a room mate or friend who can lend you some trainers in the meantime as the end of the month still a bit away if you don't like going barefoot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Hi Debbie,

Tees Sport
Thorntons
Bribar

Did manage a quick look in the nearest sports direct but anything I liked was out of my league price wise and the assistant said the cheaper ones were okay but not made for racquet sports.. Really want something I would also wear going out too if that makes sense. Was really hoping I could have got something this morning in town as working next few weekends so no chance to look for ages. Thankfully the floor we play on is clean and not cold so I will have to stick with bare feet for a while at least. If the floor had been cold or dirty there is no way I would have played. While I am playing I am fine in bare feet and don't really notice or think about not having footwear, it is more the sitting about and watching when not playing that I dislike.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Having been a student myself I understand how hard it can be to make ends meet. If you are a beginner and playing more for fun then try not to go to much expense on footwear.. You should get a decent table tennis bat for up to £30, if you have a decent sports shop near by or ask at the sports centre you go to.
I guess it must be a wooden floor where you play before you slipped so something went tread/ grip will be good.
Have you not got a room mate or friend who can lend you some trainers in the meantime as the end of the month still a bit away if you don't like going barefoot.

Yes it is a wooden floor. A fellow student did say she had a spare pair of trainers in my size so would take them for me on the second week but she forgot them😐 and then when she remembered the third week they were the wrong size. We had to pay and commit the second week as the first week was a trial so never had much choice other then to play barefooted again although in hindsight if I had known she would forget them then I probably would not have went back. It is more sitting around in between games I don't like rather than playing barefoot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

Yes it is a wooden floor. A fellow student did say she had a spare pair of trainers in my size so would take them for me on the second week but she forgot them😐 and then when she remembered the third week they were the wrong size. We had to pay and commit the second week as the first week was a trial so never had much choice other then to play barefooted again although in hindsight if I had known she would forget them then I probably would not have went back. It is more sitting around in between games I don't like rather than playing barefoot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Have you checked the online stores that offer pairs at discounted rates?

Yes thanks, really want a pair that I can also wear to go out as well as play table tennis.Sadly not seen any discounted that I like or can afford yet.
I ended up playing barefoot for weeks as a friend said she had a spare pair but they ended up being the wrong size so have had to carry on this way. Thankfully the floor is always cleaned and not cold so have had to carry on barefooted now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022

Yes thanks, really want a pair that I can also wear to go out as well as play table tennis.

You can of course buy table tennis shoes and wear them on other occasions but i think most people would not do it. The good properties of the grippy rubber sole of the table tennis shoes will simply get destroyed if you slide over concrete with it or do any kind of sports outside.

If you dont mind that and are cool with the grippiness vanishing because you go out clubbing with them, then feel free to do it. I am sure your club wont care, as long as they are not dirty when training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
You can of course buy table tennis shoes and wear them on other occasions but i think most people would not do it. The good properties of the grippy rubber sole of the table tennis shoes will simply get destroyed if you slide over concrete with it or do any kind of sports outside.

If you dont mind that and are cool with the grippiness vanishing because you go out clubbing with them, then feel free to do it. I am sure your club wont care, as long as they are not dirty when training.

You are probably right and I never thought about wearing them outdoors then possibly indoors to play table tennis and they probably would gather a bit of dirt.
Having had a pair at the start that had no grip and then a friend taking the wrong size for me I have now resigned myself to playing barefooted especially as I may get dirt on a new pair.
On the bright side I do have my original trainers that I can wear to go out anyway.
Have played for about two months now and we stop end of September so used to it now. Just wish there was not sitting in between playing but we all got to learn

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

You are probably right and I never thought about wearing them outdoors then possibly indoors to play table tennis and they probably would gather a bit of dirt.
Having had a pair at the start that had no grip and then a friend taking the wrong size for me I have now resigned myself to playing barefooted especially as I may get dirt on a new pair.
On the bright side I do have my original trainers that I can wear to go out anyway.
Have played for about two months now and we stop end of September so used to it now. Just wish there was not sitting in between playing but we all got to learn

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you want to get something that you can wear for table tennis and wear as regular old shoes outside, then get inexpensive tennis shoes of low topped basketball shoes. They won't be indoor court shoes, but they will still work well enough and have the lateral support you need in TT.

If you want actual INDOOR COURT shoes, then you don't really want to wear them outdoors. The gum rubber soles of indoor court shoes are good for the surfaces of indoor courts, but wear very very very very very very quickly when worn outdoors. It would be like buying disposable shoes.

But if you want indoor court shoes, look at volleyball shoes or badminton shoes. Either will work well and usually you can get volleyball shoes and badminton shoes that are quite decent quality for much less money than an equivalent quality Table Tennis shoe.

Reactions: Tipiak and Debbie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Hi,
Thanks for the ideas. I will keep playing till end of September then decide if I am going to keep at it. My first post was really to see if it was okay to go barefoot or to get footwear, but having played barefooted all the time now I am sort of used to it now.
Will definitely look into getting a decent pair if I keep playing if people think it is better for me. I feel I get alot of grip in barefeet which is good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews

Yes thanks, really want a pair that I can also wear to go out as well as play table tennis.Sadly not seen any discounted that I like or can afford yet.
I ended up playing barefoot for weeks as a friend said she had a spare pair but they ended up being the wrong size so have had to carry on this way. Thankfully the floor is always cleaned and not cold so have had to carry on barefooted now.

Nike Lite 2 (https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-lite-2-womens-hard-court-tennis-shoe-146174) could be what you're after. Very happy with my men's version (https://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-lite-2-mens-hard-court-tennis-shoe-145224/). They last forever (including the cushioning and soles), can be used for any indoor or outdoor sport (including running 6 miles every other day), and are perfectly fine to go out, not to mention being very good value.