New DHS Long 5 Light = Original Long 5?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
From the description at TT11 it sounds like this "Light" version is identical to the older Long 5 with smaller handle and larger head. Anybody have feedback with it?

The light version of the famous Hurricane Long 5. The word light does not describe the weight, but feeling and control. The blade has a smaller handle than standard Hurricane Long 5, but a slightly bigger head, which provides better control and more feeling comparing to the original version.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021

I thought this was actually aimed for children. Not 100% sure, but I've heard people call it that.

I read a similar description on prott but I'm wondering if the handle is even smaller than the old long 5 or if it's the same size. I'm hoping someone has had their hands on it and can chime in!

Reactions: TomyLong
This user has no status.
From the description at TT11 it sounds like this "Light" version is identical to the older Long 5 with smaller handle and larger head. Anybody have feedback with it?

DHS Hurricane 5 Light is about 2 g lighter, has a thinner handle and is a bit more flexible.
DHS makes this new blade for advanced young players.
The purchase price from DHS is the same as for other types of Long 5 blades.

This user has no status.

DHS Hurricane 5 Light is about 2 g lighter, has a thinner handle and is a bit more flexible.
DHS makes this new blade for advanced young players.
The purchase price from DHS is the same as for other types of Long 5 blades.

Thinner then but not shorter which means the length is still remaining the same and it is only about thickness?

And what advanced young players were using before? How does this will help them anyway?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Is the HL5 really that good of a blade? I have a friend who is kinda rich and bought a HL5 on a whim, but he is a total beginner and never uses it and offered it to me. I dont know if its really necessary.

Isnt Off+ too hard and fast to get spin with?

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Is the HL5 really that good of a blade? I have a friend who is kinda rich and bought a HL5 on a whim, but he is a total beginner and never uses it and offered it to me. I dont know if its really necessary.

Isnt Off+ too hard and fast to get spin with?

If he is offering it to you for free, then it is a no brainer; just take it with thanks.

Now if you are the future purchaser, then you should consider your level. HL5 is not an easy blade to play with for noobie nor beginner. The same goes for any fast or those rated OFF+. In fact HL5 is rated OFF++.

NB: HL5 is a 5+2 carbon blade ( i.e., a very fast blade due to carbon layer imbedded ).

In my country we do not have rating like those of US system hence I am unable to classify beginner / intermediate / expert using the USTTA rating system.

What I can use is this method as described below:

If you can loop back and forth without interruption for less than 10 times, then you are at noob level. If between 11 - 20 times, you are beginner. If between 21 - 50 times without interruption, you are deemed an intermediate. If you can do >50 loops without interruption, you may consider yourself to be an expert level. Hope this helps.

HL5 is best left for those intermediate to expert level users. My two and half cents worth.

NB: Can I just say again it is a darn nice blade for looping.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I have a OFF+ wood blade, but i feel its so inconsistent. Im not sure if its because the blade is too hard, or if its because the rubber is too old. But many loops go wild.

​​​​​​

Mar 2021
I have a OFF+ wood blade, but i feel its so inconsistent. Im not sure if its because the blade is too hard, or if its because the rubber is too old. But many loops go wild.

​​​​​​

If you cannot handle a OFF+ blade, you definitely cannot handle a OFF++ blade like HL5.