Soft vs Hard Rubbers

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is too bad you read reviews and got something for yourself that was not really right for you. Having a coach or a professional player who knows equipment see your game and recommend a setup that would be right for your needs is ideal. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to that kind of information. So you tried to do your best with on line reviews and, it sounds like, you ended up with a blade that may be too fast and a rubber that is not working for your game.

How does the backhand rubber feel to you? Is that side at least okay?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
what carl said,

yeah when you attack,the thing is you everyone can swing fast once but can you follow up and keep doing it with accuracy and spin

yeah stay away from carbon blades with huricanes .. they dont really like it hard semi flexi blades is what you want.

in my opinion( because ive tried)

Yasaka MEO + H3 will do for mid some far away from table
MEO + TG3 will work better for far away, but wont be as spinny as h3
Rosewood + H3 , i couldnt get it to work from far away that well so best at close to mid distance from table
Rosewood + Tg3( blue sponge) works from close to far away from table
Hurricane hao + tg3 ispretymuch same as the rosewood option but with more dwell( more controll)
Hurricane hao + h3 same as above you will need god power in your arms to make it work far off the table

but saying that a fresh hurricane 3 neo or provincial feels so good on Hurricane hao .. and with intermediate technique will be easy enough to use the better your technique the more you can get out of your equipment

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
It is too bad you read reviews and got something for yourself that was not really right for you. Having a coach or a professional player who knows equipment see your game and recommend a setup that would be right for your needs is ideal. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to that kind of information. So you tried to do your best with on line reviews and, it sounds like, you ended up with a blade that may be too fast and a rubber that is not working for your game.

How does the backhand rubber feel to you? Is that side at least okay?

I think I'm lacking some grip on the BH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
what carl said,

yeah when you attack,the thing is you everyone can swing fast once but can you follow up and keep doing it with accuracy and spin

yeah stay away from carbon blades with huricanes .. they dont really like it hard semi flexi blades is what you want.

Rosewood + H3 , i couldnt get it to work from far away that well so best at close to mid distance from table
Hurricane hao + tg3 ispretymuch same as the rosewood option but with more dwell( more controll)
Hurricane hao + h3 same as above you will need god power in your arms to make it work far off the table

but saying that a fresh hurricane 3 neo or provincial feels so good on Hurricane hao .. and with intermediate technique will be easy enough to use the better your technique the more you can get out of your equipment

hmm i can do 3-4 of them,beyond that I have high chance of errors but usually the point goes through on the first or 2nd strike.

I searched Rosewood and Hurricane Hao and god they cost around $100 just for the blade.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
yeap ! all of the hurricanes are very tacky and with good durability. Mine is boosted 4-5 times and I am using it for the last 6 months. When I let a ball under my paddle for 5-6 minutes it can still lift it for half a second.

well mine isn't boosted but it can't do that

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
well mine isn't boosted but it can't do that

Should be able to do that regardless of whether it is boosted or not. Boost affects the sponge and expands the sponge making it softer. It stretches the tophsheet but does not change the tackiness. If your Hurricane does not do that at all, if it does not grab the ball at all, it really could be a counterfeit. In which case, it might just be a cheap rubber that is made to look like Hurricane.

what carl said,

Oh my... wish I found this thread a whole lot earlier. I slapped a Neo H3 on my Yinhe T11+ and I am struggling like anything with it as well. Helpful to have some semi-flexi suggestions here. Will give some of these a look into. Was looking at the Ma Lin Extra Offensive which @Lycanthrope had suggested to me in another thread. Was also potentially looking at the Stiga Offensive Wood NCT which some people have said good things about it being quite good for control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
T-11 is a fast blade, and won't hold the ball nearly as long as a typical pre-made racket. (These are usually allround-style 5-ply rackets which have lots of dwell.) I think this is the main problem.

Yep. This is my belief too. The T11+ is the fastest i've played with, and it was difficult in many ways. I use the dhs pg5x mainly now. Not too fast inner alc blade. It works great with h3n.

Reactions: RunawayAtLarge
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I know this thread thread and post are old but I couldn't let it pass after seeing it.
what a great post.

This is what bothers me. TT forums are full of bad information.

TTFrenzy is confused.
Newtons second law is F=m*a
https://byjus.com/physics/laws-of-motion/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Hooke's law is
F = k*x

TTFrenzy said:
1)Dwell time (mostly related to spin but in soft rubbers it creates speed also)
No, Force causes acceleration which is integrated over time to yield speed.
Increase the dwell time does provide more time to integrate the acceleration but if the dwell time is shorter the same is accomplished with more force.

Lifting underspin is a function of technique. It is about matching the paddle speed upwards to match the surface speed of the ball so there is no net force pushing the ball down.

TTFrenzy said:
When the sponge is hard you need strong hitters to manage to compress the sponge at its full in order to take full advantage of its abilities !
Again, repeating garbage. What happens when brushing the ball? There is very little normal force compressing the sponge.
Harder sponges don't let the ball penetrate as much.

Harder or softer. Does it make a difference? Hooke's law above, F=k*x, is really a better way look at "hard " and "soft". Durometer. is measuring a resistance to a sharp penetration. TT balls are blunt. Also there are no units for durometer. So how much force does it take to compress a 38 degree rubber 0.1mm? The spring constant has units of force/distance. Something that would be useful is how many Newtons for force does it take to compress a rubber 1 mm. Maybe to compress 0.1 mm would be better since there are sponges less that 1mm thick.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
what carl said,

H3 and Neo can be made to work well on hard wood and even carbon blades.

H3 and Neo can be made to work well on hard wood and even carbon blades.

I have a Neo H3 on my Yinhe T11+ and when I first tried it, I really struggled with it, but have adapted my play style and am getting more consistent, so that is true. Just depends how much time you want to spend changing your play style completely.

I quite enjoy the fact that Neo H3 is making me play a lot more close up short quick strokes, but I do, from time to time, miss just being able to power everything back LOL. Also need to concentrate and think really carefully before I loop. I think I'm getting the power from ground up okay, but I do find that the hard T11+ is making a lot of my loops overshoot but just a little bit, but I know I'm getting the loop and brushing okay because the ball literally just drops... sadly just a little bit after the table hahaha - d'oh! =P

But I do agree with @lodro that to a certain extent, given enough time, I do think it's possible to adapt. It's just whether you want to spend all that time getting used to / adapting to a new playstyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I know this thread thread and post are old but I couldn't let it pass after seeing it.

This is what bothers me. TT forums are full of bad information.

TTFrenzy is confused.
Newtons second law is F=m*a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Hooke's law is
F = k*x

No, Force causes acceleration which is integrated over time to yield speed.
Increase the dwell time does provide more time to integrate the acceleration but if the dwell time is shorter the same is accomplished with more force.

Lifting underspin is a function of technique. It is about matching the paddle speed upwards to match the surface speed of the ball so there is no net force pushing the ball down.

Again, repeating garbage. What happens when brushing the ball? There is very little normal force compressing the sponge.
Harder sponges don't let the ball penetrate as much.

Harder or softer. Does it make a difference? Hooke's law above, F=k*x, is really a better way look at "hard " and "soft". Durometer. is measuring a resistance to a sharp penetration. TT balls are blunt. Also there are no units for durometer. So how much force does it take to compress a 38 degree rubber 0.1mm? The spring constant has units of force/distance. Something that would be useful is how many Newtons for force does it take to compress a rubber 1 mm. Maybe to compress 0.1 mm would be better since there are sponges less that 1mm thick.

dude have you ever played at a competitive level with proper technique with soft and hard rubbers? Hard rubbers DO need more force, F=k*x does not explain everything especially in a dynamic not static phenomenon like lifting underspin. If you are trying to use physics on me, at least use it correctly. Im not gonna bother answering again cause anyone with physics and dynamics of ball movement understanding, and i dont mean the laws of physics, knows what im talking about.

Reactions: Lazer