Why single-ply hinoki not popular in plastic ball era

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Nice Gozo!! Hinoki feeling is just amazing!!

I have used many rubbers on my ages DS90, mine is Jpen though. For sh you want to minimise the total thickness. Are you going to stay close to table as a hitter? Are you playing looping games in mid to far distance?
Yes, Hinoki has a distinct feeling that can only be felt but hard to describe.

Definitely not a hitter. I am a power - looper style close to mid distance. I am unable to do far from table.... not a young and super fit man ( close to 50 y/o ).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Yes, Hinoki has a distinct feeling that can only be felt but hard to describe.

Definitely not a hitter. I am a power - looper style close to mid distance. I am unable to do far from table.... not a young and super fit man ( close to 50 y/o ).

10mm hinoki is very very bouncy. I am using Baracuda which half tacky tensor. Control is much better than T05 that I used before. I suggest you giving it a go. Baracuda’s spin is comparable to H3, is light and has decent speed.

Mar 2021
10mm hinoki is very very bouncy. I am using Baracuda which half tacky tensor. Control is much better than T05 that I used before. I suggest you giving it a go. Baracuda’s spin is comparable to H3, is light and has decent speed.
I have used Baracuda before for my BH and FH. On paper it is a suppose to be a spin monster. However, during my first couple of lessons I was using Baracuda on my BH and I struggled with BH opening up. Then my coach said don't use Baracuda, it does not agree with me. Then I tried H3 soft and still it was unsatisfactory. So, 3rd times's the charm right? I used Yasaka Rakza 7 and bingo! It was so much easier for me, and I am sticking with this for a long long time for my BH use. He ( the coach ) also said Rakza 7 is a good BH rubber.

P/s Of course in my coach's personal opinion, he is dead set on T05. But I told him I am never gonna use such expensive rubber unless I am pro, never at this amateur level.

P/s/s As for FH rubber, he did blurt out a few names such as G1 + Tenergy + Dignics & MXP in his preferred list. I told him I already have Donic Bluefire M1 already fixed on my blade. Initially he frowned upon M1 because he had used it before personally and did not like it. But anyway I started stroking with him and after the session, he said, ok good. You can keep the M1, seems to work for me. That is why I am sticking with Donic M1.

NB: M1 is the cheapest ESN Tensor rubber in my regular vendor's inventory so that is a plus point.

Mar 2021
Among his four FH preferred rubbers, G1 is worth a try. Very positive feedback. Not too heavy.

MXP is way too heavy and not enough dwell time. T and D series are expensive.
Thanks friend SFF,

I will keep G1 in my Keep-in-view list. I have a sheet of red G1 glued on my old Butterfly Primorac Allwood blade. I shall peel it off and stick on to this new 10mm Hinoki once I get my delivery. There is a long holiday coming up due to the Chinese Lunar New Year. All the logistics are grinded to a halt. The wait is killing me.

However, there is this dilemma I am facing, should I put on another M1 on the FH side of this new blade which is working fine for me on my DS90, or should I EJ and try G1 on this set up. Does it matter? Will it play completely different and I need to readjust my stroke?

Mar 2021
2729569C%208B88%204B4D%20BC4F%201ACCA95190C2%20jpeg.jpeg

78AF796D%20C7FE%2045BC%20A113%208A7E877CEF1A%20jpeg.jpeg
My future weapon of mass destruction

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
If you change blade and rubbers you're definitely have to readjust and recalibrate.
Maybe in training it will seem all good but in matches it can take a lot to stop thinking about equipment

Mar 2021
Among his four FH preferred rubbers, G1 is worth a try. Very positive feedback. Not too heavy.

MXP is way too heavy and not enough dwell time. T and D series are expensive.
I play on average three times a week and each session around 3 hours, that makes it around 9 hours per week. I have switched from Chinese Tacky to Euro Tensor two weeks ago upon the advise of my coach. So that makes it around 18 hours of play time so far. I am getting the hang of the trampoline effect of Euro rubber: Donic Bluefire M1 to be exact. If fact I can feel that I am doing lazy strokes because the rubber does a lot of the work on my behalf, but I ain't complaining.

I dusted of my G1 from my shelf last weekend and tried it again just for comparison. The G1 sits on my all wood BTY Primorac. After getting the hang of the strong trampoline effect of Euro rubber, I feel that even G1 is too much work for me. Yes, I am now a lazy bum. Imagine going back to Chinese tacky rubber again... NEVER!

I have now even considered the M1 Turbo ( similar in concept to T05 Hard ) version and I have spoken to my coach about it and he said, yes, go ahead. It does complement my playing style he further added. This M1 Turbo will go on as my FH rubber on my new 10mm 1-ply Hinoki.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I play on average three times a week and each session around 3 hours, that makes it around 9 hours per week. I have switched from Chinese Tacky to Euro Tensor two weeks ago upon the advise of my coach. So that makes it around 18 hours of play time so far. I am getting the hang of the trampoline effect of Euro rubber: Donic Bluefire M1 to be exact. If fact I can feel that I am doing lazy strokes because the rubber does a lot of the work on my behalf, but I ain't complaining.

I dusted of my G1 from my shelf last weekend and tried it again just for comparison. The G1 sits on my all wood BTY Primorac. After getting the hang of the strong trampoline effect of Euro rubber, I feel that even G1 is too much work for me. Yes, I am now a lazy bum. Imagine going back to Chinese tacky rubber again... NEVER!

I have now even considered the M1 Turbo ( similar in concept to T05 Hard ) version and I have spoken to my coach about it and he said, yes, go ahead. It does complement my playing style he further added. This M1 Turbo will go on as my FH rubber on my new 10mm 1-ply Hinoki.

Gozo two months ago liked provincial TG2 BS…
people change fast!

Mar 2021
Gozo two months ago liked provincial TG2 BS…
people change fast!

Two months ago I have not met my coach yet.

I was playing Chinese tacky rubber all these while on Stiga all wood blade and my coach was the one who told me to ditch chinese and go the euro / tensor way.

He said, " Gozo, stop eating dimsum, its giving you indigestion. Try Sauerkraut ( German food ) instead. As for him, he is a die hard sushi fan. 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 2021
Tonight is my inaugural opening ceremony of using this 10mm One Ply Hinoki. Someone posted that the feeling of Hinoki is like cocaine, it is so very addictive and I attest to it completely. The feeling just cannot describe in words, It just has to be felt to be understood. My FH makes me feel like I am Kim Taek Soo + Ryu Seung Min add together. The power away from table is just awesome. One ply Hinoki is very suitable for Fh dominant power looper away from table play style. I am glad I bought this product.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
Tonight is my inaugural opening ceremony of using this 10mm One Ply Hinoki. Someone posted that the feeling of Hinoki is like cocaine, it is so very addictive and I attest to it completely. The feeling just cannot describe in words, It just has to be felt to be understood. My FH makes me feel like I am Kim Taek Soo + Ryu Seung Min add together. The power away from table is just awesome. One ply Hinoki is very suitable for Fh dominant power looper away from table play style. I am glad I bought this product.
Glad you like it!
But isn’t 225g a little un functional?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why on earth did you put that grip tape on? :) Oh well. Everyone likes different things. I like to feel the wood of the handle. :)

I also don't want something like grip tape to absorb my sweat and make it take longer for the sweat to dry off. But, as long as you like the blade.

225 grams may be heavy and may not be heavy depending on the weight balance. Der_Echte one time handed me a racket where the blade weighed 120 grams, so, probably it was in the 225 gram range with the rubbers, and it felt fine. But he had added something like 35 grams of weight to the handle. So it was very handle heavy and therefore felt like a pretty normal weight.

However, that one ply Hinoki blade is probably not handle heavy. And it is possible that the weight would slow down the racket speed and the recover speed. It does depend on the strength and fitness level of the person wielding the blade though.

Mar 2021
Why on earth did you put that grip tape on? :) Oh well. Everyone likes different things. I like to feel the wood of the handle. :)

I also don't want something like grip tape to absorb my sweat and make it take longer for the sweat to dry off. But, as long as you like the blade.

225 grams may be heavy and may not be heavy depending on the weight balance. Der_Echte one time handed me a racket where the blade weighed 120 grams, so, probably it was in the 225 gram range with the rubbers, and it felt fine. But he had added something like 35 grams of weight to the handle. So it was very handle heavy and therefore felt like a pretty normal weight.

However, that one ply Hinoki blade is probably not handle heavy. And it is possible that the weight would slow down the racket speed and the recover speed. It does depend on the strength and fitness level of the person wielding the blade though.

It is perhaps psychological, but there is this illogical fear of my blade slipping out of my sweaty palm and I do have sweaty palm during physical exertion. The sweat grip helps me with my confidence.

As for the 225g, personally I can feel the momentum of blade smashing and looping the ball and it is superb. Also, it is a great way to learn how to hit with your whole body mechanics aka with proper follow through because with such a weight, if you only use your wrist, you'll hurt it. If you only use your shoulder, you are going to have very sore shoulder muscle.

Sometimes, I wonder whether am I playing TT or tennis. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

It is perhaps psychological, but there is this illogical fear of my blade slipping out of my sweaty palm and I do have sweaty palm during physical exertion. The sweat grip helps me with my confidence.

As for the 225g, personally I can feel the momentum of blade smashing and looping the ball and it is superb. Also, it is a great way to learn how to hit with your whole body mechanics aka with proper follow through because with such a weight, if you only use your wrist, you'll hurt it. If you only use your shoulder, you are going to have very sore shoulder muscle.

Sometimes, I wonder whether am I playing TT or tennis. 😂

Time to learn the double handed backhand like Hugo…