Super hard H3

This user has no status.

what makes you say H3 41 is a nightmare ?
Can you explain please

It’s super hard and requires insane skill to hit through the sponge and creat good spin. In other words: It’s very dead. BTW DHS 41 degree is like ESN 55-60 but even more dead and with a lower quality sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Anyone tried an old 42-44 DHS degree sponge H3? I heard they were popular back before boosting was banned. 41 is a nightmare so I want to know what it feels like. :p

I managed to get hold of a H3 that had very large Chinese characters printed on the rubber. Those were the legendary original H3.

It’s a world tackier than my Provincial H3 bought this year.

The sponge is VERY VERY hard. But there is no degree on it.

I had to apply 6 layers of Seamoon oil to soften it. The dome was massive!!

It’s on my Korbel. Very slow at low impact compared to the newer H3.

However it’s definitely spinnier in almost all aspects.

Sponge is surprisingly lively and engaging. Not dead feeling.

This user has no status.
I managed to get hold of a H3 that had very large Chinese characters printed on the rubber. Those were the legendary original H3.

It’s a world tackier than my Provincial H3 bought this year.

The sponge is VERY VERY hard. But there is no degree on it.

I had to apply 6 layers of Seamoon oil to soften it. The dome was massive!!

It’s on my Korbel. Very slow at low impact compared to the newer H3.

However it’s definitely spinnier in almost all aspects.

Sponge is surprisingly lively and engaging. Not dead feeling.

What if you didn’t boost it? :p

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I know hard. I was so macho & gung-ho I bought the Nittaku H3 Pro Turbo Blue Sponge which is listed as 43 degrees on the hardness scale. It is as hard as brick. You either have to boost the H3LL out of it, or you just need a very high level of skill to wield it. Currently it sits nice and pretty in my drawer collecting dust.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Not lower quality. I keep reading this in Chinese forums. DHS has had the best sponge in tacky rubber for decades. Even Butterfly has admitted in an interview on D09c with Takkyu Okoku that tacky rubber is difficult to develop and mass-produce.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I know hard. I was so macho & gung-ho I bought the Nittaku H3 Pro Turbo Blue Sponge which is listed as 43 degrees on the hardness scale. It is as hard as brick. You either have to boost the H3LL out of it, or you just need a very high level of skill to wield it. Currently it sits nice and pretty in my drawer collecting dust.

I am tempted to try it coz it’s on special on TT11 this week. Do you think 1.8mm will be more lively? But will 1.8mm be as spinny as DHS blue sponge H3?

My recent experience with DHS is sour. The new H3 is only half tacky and far less durable.

That’s why I am considering Nittaku’s

This user has no status.
Here is a list of officially manufactured commercial H2 and H3:

DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM38H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.15MM38H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM38H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.2MM38H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM39H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.15MM39H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM39H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.2MM39H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM40H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.15MM40H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM40H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.2MM40H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM41H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.15MM41H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM41H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.2MM41H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM42H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.15MM42H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM42H
DHS HURRICANE2 RUBBER RED 2.2MM42H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM38H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.15MM38H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM38H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.2MM38H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM39H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.15MM39H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM39H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.2MM39H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM40H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.15MM40H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM40H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.2MM40H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.15MM41H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.15MM41H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER BLACK 2.2MM41H
DHS HURRICANE3 RUBBER RED 2.2MM41H

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Try Aibiss, BTY 50deg sponge is significantly harder than turbo blue sponge and it's not so extremely heavy.
Aibiss is the hardest rubber I ever tried. But from DHS/Nittaku, the H3 turbo blue is probably the hardest, but it's not as dead as an orange sponge 41deg, it's a really nice sponge, but it's flaw is that it's around 65g cut which makes it only acceptable with light short pips on backhand.

Mar 2021
I am tempted to try it coz it’s on special on TT11 this week. Do you think 1.8mm will be more lively? But will 1.8mm be as spinny as DHS blue sponge H3?

My recent experience with DHS is sour. The new H3 is only half tacky and far less durable.

That’s why I am considering Nittaku’s

Okay, let us compare apple to apple, orange to orange.

Nittaku's H3 to me should be compared to National Version DHS H3. To me, Nitakku is bang for the buck coz you can buy two Nittaku for the price of one DHS Nat Ver H3.

I will stick my neck out and say that Nittaku's H3 is superior quality and tacky. It is darn hard, hard as a brick which should be as it is stated equivalent to 43 degree hardness DHS scale.

Also, my the DHS Nat Ver H3 I bought from online store does not seem to be tacky which heighten my suspicion that it could be fake. I am aware that there are a lot of fake Nat Ver around in the online universe and it is just not worth the risk anymore. Hence I am saying from my own experience, get the Nittaku's version for the peace of mind, assuming super brick hard rubber is what you are looking for. The Nat Ver DHS H3 I bought online shall be my first and last time.

The other tacky rubber I love is Friendship Battle 2 Hard ( 40 degree ) Provincial Version with blue sponge. This is another quality bang for the buck super high quality tacky rubber. However this rubber is a bit more bouncy than H3 classic and should be compared to the H3 neo version and if you ask me, get the soft version ( 38 degree ) and use it for BH if tacky is your preferred choice.

So friend SFF, I hope my input can be of benefit to your rubber selection. Good day to you.

Personally I prefer the non neo version on my FH as I very much prefer the linear feeling of hard tacky rubber.

Last edited:
Mar 2021
NB:

I just realised that I did not answer SFF original question regarding using 1.8mm version. I can't say for sure because my local vendor here only sell the max thickness ( 2.0mm ). Anyhow, I would still go for max thickness on FH because I am sure my FH can hit hard enough to engage the max thickness sponge.

After writing the long winded post above, I reflected and then dust off my Nittaku H3 from my drawer and glued it to my DHS Long V blade on the FH side. I guess, why waste a perfectly good and expensive rubber right? I have a gut feel my FH can now use such a brick hard rubber such as this. ( However I'll heavily boost it though ... sheesh, don't tell anyone I am such a cheat ). I also found an unused commercial grade DHS H3 soft which is sitting idly. I'll glue this on too for BH use. I'll try it this weekend at my club and see how well it plays out. Perhaps I may have overestimate my ability, who knows, I will find out this weekend.

Looks like my original plan to use Skyline 2 ( FH ) & Skyline 3-60 ( BH ) will have to wait until I try out the above combo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
NB:

I just realised that I did not answer SFF original question regarding using 1.8mm version. I can't say for sure because my local vendor here only sell the max thickness ( 2.0mm ). Anyhow, I would still go for max thickness on FH because I am sure my FH can hit hard enough to engage the max thickness sponge.

After writing the long winded post above, I reflected and then dust off my Nittaku H3 from my drawer and glued it to my DHS Long V blade on the FH side. I guess, why waste a perfectly good and expensive rubber right? I have a gut feel my FH can now use such a brick hard rubber such as this. ( However I'll heavily boost it though ... sheesh, don't tell anyone I am such a cheat ). I also found an unused commercial grade DHS H3 soft which is sitting idly. I'll glue this on too for BH use. I'll try it this weekend at my club and see how well it plays out. Perhaps I may have overestimate my ability, who knows, I will find out this weekend.

Looks like my original plan to use Skyline 2 ( FH ) & Skyline 3-60 ( BH ) will have to wait until I try out the above combo.

Thank you for your thorough post. I will get a few Nittaku H3 blue!!

I always boost my H3 using Seamoon oil.

Have you boosted your Nittaku? If so did that soften the sponge?

Mar 2021
Thank you for your thorough post. I will get a few Nittaku H3 blue!!

I always boost my H3 using Seamoon oil.

Have you boosted your Nittaku? If so did that soften the sponge?

I use Falco brand. I am sure it did soften the sponge when compared to new sheet. You should try to play with a fresh sheet unboosted, you shall know what hard is. There is hard and there is Nittaku H3.

However, soften sponge is not my concern because if I want soft, I would have just bought the softer version like 38 degrees. What I love about it, is it makes the top sheet somehow tackier. It has this wet feeling so to say.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
How does 40 degree orange sponge H3 boosted with 3 layers of seamoon compare to dignics 09c in terms of feel, speed, spin and easy of use?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
.....back before boosting was banned.....
When boosting was banned, was when speed glue was banned (2008). Before boosting was banned, people did not boost, they used speed glue. Is that what you meant? Back in the days of speed glue?

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
When boosting was banned, was when speed glue was banned (2008). Before boosting was banned, people did not boost, they used speed glue. Is that what you meant? Back in the days of speed glue?

is this a mater of semantics ?
Is not ALL boosting banned ? Not just speedglue ?

signed ""A happy booster""

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

is this a mater of semantics ?
Is not ALL boosting banned ? Not just speedglue ?

signed ""A happy booster""

I think you turned what I said upside down. When speed glue was banned, boosting was banned as well. When speed glue was allowed, most people used speed glue and did not use booster oils. Speed glue and boosting are not actually the same thing. Are they?

So, I am asking PingBird if he meant back in the days when SPEED GLUE was legal. And if not, to what time is he referring.

When speed glue was used, people did not say: "I am going to boost my rubbers" when they meant they were going to use speed glue, because speed glue is different than boosters. And speed glue was something you used every time you played. Every time you played you would take off and reglue your rubbers. The process is totally different than boosting. So:

PingBird: do you mean, back in the speed glue days? Or are you talking about some other time?

This user has no status.

I think you turned what I said upside down. When speed glue was banned, boosting was banned as well. When speed glue was allowed, most people used speed glue and did not use booster oils. Speed glue and boosting are not actually the same thing. Are they?

So, I am asking PingBird if he meant back in the days when SPEED GLUE was legal. And if not, to what time is he referring.

When speed glue was used, people did not say: "I am going to boost my rubbers" when they meant they were going to use speed glue, because speed glue is different than boosters. And speed glue was something you used every time you played. Every time you played you would take off and reglue your rubbers. The process is totally different than boosting. So:

PingBird: do you mean, back in the speed glue days? Or are you talking about some other time?

Sorry about the confusion. Yes, I meant when people used speedglue. I heard from one of the older player in my club that back then the H3s were 42-44 degrees and they said the 37-41 these days are too soft when paired with speedglue. I just so happened to mistakingly purchased a 41 degree H3 and played with it unboosted, thought it was way too hard, and wondered how an unboosted 44 degree H3 would feel.
Thanks for correcting.