Thickness: 6.08mm
Plies: 5 (limba-ayous)
Speed: Off

39GtLhl.jpg

56yBZDx.jpg

QsLSTAI.jpg

Ijte3YX.jpg

cCJuAwK.jpg

Well this is it, the Energy Wood WRB V2 as finally landed in my hands together with the Banda All Around blade after some time of waiting due to the pandemic. The Energy Blade WRB V2 is the updated version of the old Energy Wood WRB but it is nothing like the old version I tell you. The blade design and playing characteristics have changed a lot. I have used the older version about 15 years ago. I borrowed one from a friend of mine and it was a very slow blade that I could say it was in the level of Stiga Offensive Classic’s speed. The newer one has a thicker ayous core. It still has the Limba outer plies. I am not sure about the thickness of the older version of Energy WRB but I had one measured at 5.9mm before. Since this is a WRB blade, the handle is hollow. The weight goes towards near the tip of the blade head. The quality is much higher compared to the older version and there is an obvious sealing applied on the blade surface. I have changed the rubbers on each side about 3 times and have not had any wood splintering of the top plies nor delaminations observed. Instead of the plastic lens for the logo in the handle, they replaced it with the newer metal tag.

For the test I used the DNA Pro H max both sides and also used RITC Battle 2 in order to check the compatibility with Chinese or tacky rubbers. The Energy V2 is indeed on the heavier side. I have weighed this on an analog weighing scale it was 95 grams but when I weighed it in a digital weighing scale it weighs 92 grams. This will also affect the speed of the blade test since the blade is a bit heavy and more solid than the usual perceived weight and stiffness of other 5 ply blades. Blades like the Offensive Classic and Offensive Classic CR are lighter. When I was bouncing the blade, it felt almost as stiff as a regular Clipper wood. The Energy WRB V2 felt stiffer than other 5 ply all-wood blades like SPW and has a more solid feel. When I tested the Energy WRB V2 especially with drives, smashes and loop drives, I would say the speed is above the Azalea Off, Celero or Offensive Classic CR blades. It is near to that of the Stiga Infinity blade or even faster but much slower than Ebenholz V or Rosewood V. Once again, I am taking into consideration the weight of the blade. Had this been an 85 gram blade, I would probably say this is at Off- category. At the 92 gram weight, it is between off- and off speed levels. Usually, 5 ply all wood blades are at best near the table distance but the Energy WRB V2 seem powerful even at middle distance from the table with a tacky rubber. The Azalea Off has a diminished speed at middle distance even the SPW blade I can feel the reduction of power and speed.

The Energy WRB V2 despite being harder and faster than the original Energy Wood still loops very good with any kind of rubber. The DNA H Pro is a medium hard rubber but still loops well with the Energy V2. It has some flex for looping which is less compared to the Offensive Classic or Azalea Off but more compared to the Clipper or Clipper CR blades. The arc was medium to medium low in height when I was looping with it on either on a delayed timing or peak timing of the bounce. When I used the RITC Battle 2 as a forehand rubber, the arc was really very low. I think if I had used Hurricane 3 instead the arc would be a bit higher at maybe 1-2 inches.

The question now is, is this blade worth shifting to for players who have been using other 5 ply all wood blades? My opinion on this is YES! If a player who have used the Azalea Off before wanted more speed and some more stiffness then the Energy WRB V2 is the blade to go to instead of the SPW blade. It could still the delicate short strokes like drop shots and very short, near-the-net pushes like the more flexible blades mentioned above so players need not worry if they upgraded to the Energy WRB V2. What I noticed is that the Energy WRB V2’s blocking capabilities are much better at its weight. It is more stable due to its weight and stiffness against strong topspin shots. Also, despite being a 5 ply all wood blade, this can be hard enough for short pimple rubbers. For attacking long pimples styles of play, the Energy WRB V2 is also a good blade that can balance the control for attacking and blocking with long pips. Overall, I would highly recommend this blade for beginner level players that have some sort of experience in basic levels of play. I would not recommend this to a complete beginner but if a player has started playing, the blade will be good enough with slower rubbers like DNA Future M 1.9mm. If aplyer can weigh the blade before buying, I would recommend the 90 gram version for more advanced players and the 85 gram version or lower for beginners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Thanks for the review.
The caracteristics sounds similar to that of BT777 and SWAT. Those 2 are still significantly different in terms of flex, throw, spin and feel. And just slightly in speed.
How would you rate it compared to those 2?

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Quite different as this is a 5 ply blade.
True, but even though both SWAT and BT777 are 7-plies, they have 5-ply caracteristics.
SWAT is Very similar to Allround Evolution. The feel and how the blade bites the ball is almost exactly the same to me. SWAT is just a bit faster but more direct when not looping. When you loop it has the same springy behavior.
The Blue Thunder blades doesn't behave like that, and they Feel different. They don't vibrate as much. The only difference between bt555 and bt777 to me is that BT777 is a bit faster, though both AE and SWAT are faster than BT555, but BT777 is faster than those. Also more stable than all of them. Not more direct on shorter swings compared to SWAT though. But for Some Reason BT777's is still closer to BT555 in feel and behavior imo.

Edit: just realised that it wasn't an answer to my comment. Ups, sorry...

Sendt fra min SM-A202F med Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Stiga Energy Wood V2
Weight: 92 grams

39GtLhl.jpg

56yBZDx.jpg

QsLSTAI.jpg

Ijte3YX.jpg

cCJuAwK.jpg

Well this is it, the Energy Wood WRB V2 as finally landed in my hands together with the Banda All Around blade after some time of waiting due to the pandemic. The Energy Blade WRB V2 is the updated version of the old Energy Wood WRB but it is nothing like the old version I tell you. The blade design and playing characteristics have changed a lot. I have used the older version about 15 years ago. I borrowed one from a friend of mine and it was a very slow blade that I could say it was in the level of Stiga Offensive Classic’s speed. The newer one has a thicker ayous core. It still has the Limba outer plies. I am not sure about the thickness of the older version of Energy WRB but I had one measured at 5.9mm before. Since this is a WRB blade, the handle is hollow. The weight goes towards near the tip of the blade head. The quality is much higher compared to the older version and there is an obvious sealing applied on the blade surface. I have changed the rubbers on each side about 3 times and have not had any wood splintering of the top plies nor delaminations observed. Instead of the plastic lens for the logo in the handle, they replaced it with the newer metal tag.

For the test I used the DNA Pro H max both sides and also used RITC Battle 2 in order to check the compatibility with Chinese or tacky rubbers. The Energy V2 is indeed on the heavier side. I have weighed this on an analog weighing scale it was 95 grams but when I weighed it in a digital weighing scale it weighs 92 grams. This will also affect the speed of the blade test since the blade is a bit heavy and more solid than the usual perceived weight and stiffness of other 5 ply blades. Blades like the Offensive Classic and Offensive Classic CR are lighter. When I was bouncing the blade, it felt almost as stiff as a regular Clipper wood. The Energy WRB V2 felt stiffer than other 5 ply all-wood blades like SPW and has a more solid feel. When I tested the Energy WRB V2 especially with drives, smashes and loop drives, I would say the speed is above the Azalea Off, Celero or Offensive Classic CR blades. It is near to that of the Stiga Infinity blade or even faster but much slower than Ebenholz V or Rosewood V. Once again, I am taking into consideration the weight of the blade. Had this been an 85 gram blade, I would probably say this is at Off- category. At the 92 gram weight, it is between off- and off speed levels. Usually, 5 ply all wood blades are at best near the table distance but the Energy WRB V2 seem powerful even at middle distance from the table with a tacky rubber. The Azalea Off has a diminished speed at middle distance even the SPW blade I can feel the reduction of power and speed.

The Energy WRB V2 despite being harder and faster than the original Energy Wood still loops very good with any kind of rubber. The DNA H Pro is a medium hard rubber but still loops well with the Energy V2. It has some flex for looping which is less compared to the Offensive Classic or Azalea Off but more compared to the Clipper or Clipper CR blades. The arc was medium to medium low in height when I was looping with it on either on a delayed timing or peak timing of the bounce. When I used the RITC Battle 2 as a forehand rubber, the arc was really very low. I think if I had used Hurricane 3 instead the arc would be a bit higher at maybe 1-2 inches.

The question now is, is this blade worth shifting to for players who have been using other 5 ply all wood blades? My opinion on this is YES! If a player who have used the Azalea Off before wanted more speed and some more stiffness then the Energy WRB V2 is the blade to go to instead of the SPW blade. It could still the delicate short strokes like drop shots and very short, near-the-net pushes like the more flexible blades mentioned above so players need not worry if they upgraded to the Energy WRB V2. What I noticed is that the Energy WRB V2’s blocking capabilities are much better at its weight. It is more stable due to its weight and stiffness against strong topspin shots. Also, despite being a 5 ply all wood blade, this can be hard enough for short pimple rubbers. For attacking long pimples styles of play, the Energy WRB V2 is also a good blade that can balance the control for attacking and blocking with long pips. Overall, I would highly recommend this blade for beginner level players that have some sort of experience in basic levels of play. I would not recommend this to a complete beginner but if a player has started playing, the blade will be good enough with slower rubbers like DNA Future M 1.9mm. If aplyer can weigh the blade before buying, I would recommend the 90 gram version for more advanced players and the 85 gram version or lower for beginners.
Many thanks for your review! It's really giving a vivid impression of how it should play as also making me want to play it.

You briefly mentioned its speed being on par or even faster than Infinity VPS. Are the other playing parameters, ease in blocking & control also similar, i.e would you recommend it as an alternative or upgrade to the Infinity?

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
I remember the first Energy Wood back when almost everyone in the Chinese Women's team was using one.
Young Ding Ning, LSW, Guo Yan.... only Zhang Yining had her own signature model and she was about to retire...

I remember the first Energy Wood back when almost everyone in the Chinese Women's team was using one.
Young Ding Ning, LSW, Guo Yan.... only Zhang Yining had her own signature model and she was about to retire...
The original Energy wood was very slow. More like an all+ now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Stiga Energy Wood V2
Weight: 92 grams

39GtLhl.jpg

56yBZDx.jpg

QsLSTAI.jpg

Ijte3YX.jpg

cCJuAwK.jpg

Can you tell me the handle’s measures ?
I’d like to know the width at the handle’s neck and a the end of handle, the height in the middle of the handle and at the end of the grip.
Thanks.