Feedback on topspin form

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
weight transfer is missing. Remember power from the ground.
Nonsense!, unless is was a coal miner or oil driller.
Power/energy comes from the player. How much weight is transferred is not as important as how fast it is moved.

@CLV, it is easy too look good when not under pressure, you know where the ball will land and you are fresh. Let's see videos where you are playing against somebody. There is nothing like another person "grading" your shots.

Power/energy comes from the player. How much weight is transferred is not as important as how fast it is moved.

@CLV, it is easy too look good when not under pressure, you know where the ball will land and you are fresh. Let's see videos where you are playing against somebody. There is nothing like another person "grading" your shots.

Though scientifically right, in fact your post has to be considered as nonsense.

You have to think not only about physics, but about physiology too, and regarding the player physiology is more important, natural and easy to understand and follow. Physics is always there, no matter you think of it, or not.

So for the player "the weight transfer" is the right part of the hit mechanics, its what makes the Player to execute the kind of hit needed - required spin and Speed.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
The OP has a lot of screws in the body. Moving or doing strong leg push maybe rather more painful than we can imagine. I have a friend who have screws in his knees and anything other than straight running have been tough for him. And the techniques, tbh, already look cool even for a fit guy, probably quite fair bit cooler than mine 😂 (I sound better than I play)

So he probably wants some sorta quality game where variations of spin, timing (pace) & placement could be preferred. Block a lot and close to the table quick top spin a lot in training maybe?

You don’t even need to get wider or lower or more flex as you might think. If you stay close to the table, the ball doesn’t have time to go low so you don’t need to be too low. And borrowing incoming power makes top spin a lot easier. Think about Oh Sang Eun or Vladimir Samsonov. They are both tall and never get low.

Specific technical shots are only a small part of the game.

Again, just my 2 cents 😅

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Though scientifically right, in fact your post has to be considered as nonsense.
How can you admit that I am scientifically right and then say what I say is nonsense?
This is what I love (not) about TT forums. It is full of i#$%^!

You have to think not only about physics, but about physiology too, and regarding the player physiology is more important, natural and easy to understand and follow. Physics is always there, no matter you think of it, or not.
I am thinking about it. I am older and don't move like I did when I majored in TT in college. Not really but I played more TT than studying or spent time in classes.

So for the player "the weight transfer" is the right part of the hit mechanics, its what makes the Player to execute the kind of hit needed - required spin and Speed.
How much weight needs to be transferred? I can tell you that if it is about weight transfer I would be the best on this forum easily. I make Tinykin look small. Speed is what matters. I can twist my body and that translates to my paddle hand moving a lot and fast. You see I take into account physiology too.

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Hi BB,

Power from the ground is also used in golf.
A coach I used to have lessons with has a pressure plate in his coaching unit.
He used to say he should use it more regularly when coaching.
The idea is to make yourself weigh more during the swing process.
One guy could add about 5 pounds!! Others struggled to add a pound or two!!
i think the idea is to load up your legs and then ‘spring’ out so to speak. Put your weight into your legs/feet/ground and then use the ground to push off from. We do this regardless but it can be improved.
So you are right in that the player produces the power / energy, it’s more a case of using the ground better as a tool to assist in the power transfer.

Reactions: latej and Tango K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Hi BB,

Power from the ground is also used in golf.

There are frauds in golf too!?.

A coach I used to have lessons with has a pressure plate in his coaching unit.
He used to say he should use it more regularly when coaching.
The idea is to make yourself weigh more during the swing process.
One guy could add about 5 pounds!! Others struggled to add a pound or two!!
i think the idea is to load up your legs and then ‘spring’ out so to speak. Put your weight into your legs/feet/ground and then use the ground to push off from. We do this regardless but it can be improved.
Just because you push off on a pressure pad doesn't mean you weigh more. Your mass didn't increase.
Only a couple of measly pounds? You should see what American football players could do.
I am a mere 130kg. If I move at all, i will apply much more than that.
I know, it isn't the transfer of weight. It is the speed of the paddle. The ball doesn't weigh that much.

Do you have any idea how much force a TT ball applies to a paddle when the impact speed is only 10 m/s? Hint, it is much more than the wimpy 2 to 5 lbs of the golf players.
Think about this. What is the impact force. Make some assumptions and do the math.

So you are right in that the player produces the power / energy, it’s more a case of using the ground better as a tool to assist in the power transfer.

Obviously I need something to push off from when I twist my body. If I were on a friction-less rotating table then twisting my body wouldn't be very effective.
So the reason I can twist my body is that I can apply a force to to ground and the ground applies the same force back. The ground does not provide power it is just something to push off from.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
There are frauds in golf too!?.

Just because you push off on a pressure pad doesn't mean you weigh more. Your mass didn't increase.
Only a couple of measly pounds? You should see what American football players could do.
I am a mere 130kg. If I move at all, i will apply much more than that.
I know, it isn't the transfer of weight. It is the speed of the paddle. The ball doesn't weigh that much.

Do you have any idea how much force a TT ball applies to a paddle when the impact speed is only 10 m/s? Hint, it is much more than the wimpy 2 to 5 lbs of the golf players.
Think about this. What is the impact force. Make some assumptions and do the math.

Obviously I need something to push off from when I twist my body. If I were on a friction-less rotating table then twisting my body wouldn't be very effective.
So the reason I can twist my body is that I can apply a force to to ground and the ground applies the same force back. The ground does not provide power it is just something to push off from.
Totally agree, all I said was that the ground is a tool and can be used to better effect.
For example sprinters spikes and starting blocks help a sprinter, likewise a good pair of trainers with grippy soles helps you use the ground. No point in applying all that force if your feet just slide away!!