Evolution MX-P with Virtuoso + or V'King

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, I have been playing with a Virtuoso + for about 5 months and the blade feels amazing. And then I get these new rubbers, Tibhar Evolution MX-P and the rubbers feel amazing and they play great on the blade. I really was playing great with the rubbers on the Virtuoso + but somehow the rubbers totally hide the feeling of the blade and make the blade feel a bit like cardboard. It still plays great. But it does not feel good. The MX-P rubbers are semi-hard with a really dense sponge. And the Virtuoso + is pretty soft with a lot of feeling. So, I am thinking that the MX-P rubbers may just play better on a blade that has a harder top ply.

Enter the V'King with its Koto top ply. So I will get to try the V'King with MX-P rubbers tonight. I will see if I like them better on the V+ or the VK.

I will let you guys know if the V'King feels better, worse or different with the MX-P rubbers on them after I try the setup out tonight.

The V+ felt great with Tenergy 05 and 64 and it felt great with Victas V>01 Stiff, Regular and Limber.

And, the V'King felt good with all those rubbers as well, but not as good as the Virtuoso +.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So, I have been playing with a Virtuoso + for about 5 months and the blade feels amazing. And then I get these new rubbers, Tibhar Evolution MX-P and the rubbers feel amazing and they play great on the blade. I really was playing great with the rubbers on the Virtuoso + but somehow the rubbers totally hide the feeling of the blade and make the blade feel a bit like cardboard. It still plays great. But it does not feel good. The MX-P rubbers are semi-hard with a really dense sponge. And the Virtuoso + is pretty soft with a lot of feeling. So, I am thinking that the MX-P rubbers may just play better on a blade that has a harder top ply.

Enter the V'King with its Koto top ply. So I will get to try the V'King with MX-P rubbers tonight. I will see if I like them better on the V+ or the VK.

I will let you guys know if the V'King feels better, worse or different with the MX-P rubbers on them after I try the setup out tonight.

The V+ felt great with Tenergy 05 and 64 and it felt great with Victas V>01 Stiff, Regular and Limber.

And, the V'King felt good with all those rubbers as well, but not as good as the Virtuoso +.

EJing disease - that's the beauty of not playing tournaments - you get to try whatever you want anytime you want it. A tournament player doesn't want to lose and learns not to take that risk.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Interesting stuff. I'm thinking, at the point when I have to replace my Adidas rubber then maybe going for Tibhar MX-P or MX-S. For a penholder my logic tels me a rubber being more supportive to a full technique motion might be better, but that could be something I'd have to test out on my own. (MX-S fh and MX-P bh? maybe)
The Hurricane Hao III is also a pretty hard blade (similar to V'king) so that does seem promising.
Looking forward to see how the V'king worked with MX-P. (as it has the same top ply as my blade too..)

Also hope to see a Kim Jung Hoon vs Virtuso+ comperance soon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ NextLevel: first time I changed anything in 5 months. But I recently had tried MX-P and was amazed by how much spin it generated. So I wanted to try it.

It is a bit weird to me as a rubber but I was doing stuff with it that I didn't realize I could do.

I could have left it on the V+ but I am testing a theory about it. I actually think it would be great on some of those ALC blades.

But at the same time, I am comfortable with the fact that I have several setups that I could just pick up and use and play well with. So if I had a tournament tomorrow, I would be ready for action and I would actually just put the MX-P back on the V+ because I really played great with it. I played a friend who is 2200 and he said: "don't change a thing! You are playing better with that than I have seen you play and all your shots have way more spin!"

But I want to see how the MX-P plays on the V'King.

Sent from my OuterSpacePhone using TroubleMakerTalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ varik: I have a set of Tenergy on the V+ now that I already know works well on that blade. I also have Victas which works great on the V+.

So my main interest, really, is testing the theory that MX-P works better on a blade with a harder top ply.

And, truthfully, I have never really liked rubbers I have tried from Stiga. So, I would have to try it first before I was going to consider getting Airoc. And the whole reason I wanted to get MX-P is because I tried it and was amazed by how much spin it generated.

With MX-P my flips and my loops went up a clear level even without being fully used to the rubber.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Kaizoku: I am impressed with the MX-P. I think it would work really well for penhold. I thought it would be faster than it is. To me it seemed slower than Tenergy 05 and slower than Victas V>01 Stiff. But hit seems to have more gears than either. And the spin when your contact is right, seems insane to me. I found Victas to be real spinny. MX-P gets significantly more spin.

My friend who is 2200 missed a bunch of shots that he would normally never miss because of the added spin. And he said as much. So it may be a worthwhile next rubber.

It may work even better on the HHiii since that had a composite layer as well. Feeling the sponge on this which is totally strange, I believe this rubber would work best on a composite blade with a decently hard outer ply.

But I will see how this plays on my V'King and fill you in.

The one downside I see with MX-P is the weight. It doesn't bother me. But it feels a lot heavier than Victas or T05! That means heavy.

As far as the V+ compared to KJH blade. KJH has a lighter handle which puts the balance into the head. The feeling is refined and not overstated. Not a big crunch and bite feeling on the ball but a more subtle snap and grab feeling. The pitch is a bit higher and brighter than the V+.

The V+, on the other hand, has much more weight in the handle. It has a deeper, darker sound, almost evil. On contact you get a giant crunch as it bites into the ball. There is nothing subtle about the feeling.

But they both have a similar amount of dwell, spin and control. Perhaps the V+ gets a slight amount more spin and dwell.

Reactions: Kaizoku
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For me MX-P was great on harder stiffer blades. FX-P worked great for me on more flexo blades.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That might be an answer for if I am going to use an Evolution rubber on my V+: it may need to be the FX-P.

First I want to see what blades the MX-P feels good on.

But, in truth, even though the V+ blade, itself felt strange--it actually felt muted--it played great with the MX-P. It was just that most of the blades feeling was masked and hidden. That sponge is crazy. Out of the package the sponge looks like red cement. And it feels much more strong and durable than the sponge on most Euro/Japanese rubbers. The topsheet also feels supper strong.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
very interesting, right now im running mx-p on a carbonado and i've also felt that it's lost quite a bit of feeling with the mxp rubber. Can't wait to see how you feel with it on the v king

I will update you after I train tonight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
EJing disease - that's the beauty of not playing tournaments - you get to try whatever you want anytime you want it. A tournament player doesn't want to lose and learns not to take that risk.

A friendly bet: over the past 6 months, NL probably has done more EJing than UDC.

UDC: I've been a MX-P user for over 2 years. I've tried moving back to T05 twice in the interim but failed. The only comparable quality FH rubber I've found is boosted H3 Provincial (38 deg) but you need different technique and blade for that.

I see you're moving from a limba blade to a koto blade. While MX-P feels good with Koto (I've tried it with TB-ALC), most (if not all) professional players that use MX-P (Samsonov, Tokic, etc) use blades with limba as the top ply.

Never played with V+ but I have played with Virtuoso / MX-P (I just shipped off that blade today to another mytt forum member). It felt great. V+ has harder outer ply and not sure how that would go with this blade. I currently use MX-P with Barwell Fleet (which does have a hard outer ply but that does not count as the glass fiber underneath it is a fantastic dampener).

With koto, I expect that your short game shall be detrimentally affected to some degree.

If you want more oomph but still want blade feedback, you could try IF-ALC or Maze. Of the two, I feel that Maze has more spin - I've realized that having carbon behind 2 wood layers (& just over the core) reduces spin during power loops.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I see you're moving from a limba blade to a koto blade. While MX-P feels good with Koto (I've tried it with TB-ALC), most (if not all) professional players that use MX-P (Samsonov, Tokic, etc) use blades with limba as the top ply.

Never played with V+ but I have played with Virtuoso / MX-P (I just shipped off that blade today to another mytt forum member). It felt great. V+ has harder outer ply and not sure how that would go with this blade.

Interesting, well, I will know by tonight which blade I like it on better (V+ or V'King). But that is interesting information.

And the V+ is actually very close to my Virtuoso in terms of hardness: only a bit harder. But it has less flex.

Regardless, the MX-P played amazing and I am going to stick with it. Because I got so much spin that I actually almost beat a 2000+ penholder who I never even take games off on Tuesday. Normally all our matches are 3-0 (him) and I lost at 9 in the 5th and that comes down to the fact that he is a better and more experienced player than I am.

So if it doesn't work on the V'King I will just put it back on the V+. But both of those blades feel like home to me even though they have such different touch.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Read 1 reviews
Just checked the OSP page. There, it says that their blade that feels the closest to old Stiga Clippers is the OSP Ultimate. Soft limba outers. That is interesting in case a Virtuoso owner wants more speed from mid-distance but wants to still preserve good feel.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is also interesting. I have a friend who has an Ultimate and my V+ feels like it has more power, especially from back than the Ultimate and my V+ feels closer to an old Clipper from the 90s (I have a friend with one) than that Ultimate. Truthfully, the V+ feels better all around to me than that particular Ultimate.

I've actually been thinking that the Martin may feel more like an old Clipper though. At some point I will get one.

For now I will test and compare V+ and V'King with MX-P.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A friendly bet: over the past 6 months, NL probably has done more EJing than UDC.

UDC: I've been a MX-P user for over 2 years. I've tried moving back to T05 twice in the interim but failed. The only comparable quality FH rubber I've found is boosted H3 Provincial (38 deg) but you need different technique and blade for that.

Never played with V+ but I have played with Virtuoso / MX-P (I just shipped off that blade today to another mytt forum member). It felt great. V+ has harder outer ply and not sure how that would go with this blade. I currently use MX-P with Barwell Fleet (which does have a hard outer ply but that does not count as the glass fiber underneath it is a fantastic dampener).

With koto, I expect that your short game shall be detrimentally affected to some degree.

If you want more oomph but still want blade feedback, you could try IF-ALC or Maze. Of the two, I feel that Maze has more spin - I've realized that having carbon behind 2 wood layers (& just over the core) reduces spin during power loops.

I can place that bet any day. My tournament setups have been fairly stable even with all the tests I have made.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I can place that bet any day. My tournament setups have been fairly stable even with all the tests I have made.

I personally think it is fair that we both try new stuff while keeping a match ready weapon around too.

Before I started experimenting with the OSP blades and then the Nexy blades appeared in my arsenal, I used one setup exclusively for 2 years. That was: TB ZLF FH T05 BH T05FX.

I got those because Michael Landers is my friend and, at the time he was sponsored by Butterfly. So I figured I would try the fancy expensive stuff. The price was definitely right!

At some point I decided that I didn't want to use Butterfly and I started trying the OSP blades to see how I liked them. I used a Virtuoso with Victas for a few months, I tried the V'King for a few months and then I tried a custom from them and settled on the V+. So, in the last year I used 4 different blades. But in the last 5 months, just the V+ was my main weapon.

But experimenting is worth it. I would never have felt how crazy spinny Evolution MX-P is without someone handing me a racket and saying, "you have to try this rubber!" And the thing that totally sold me was, I was hitting with Edmund, (the guy who had MX-P was a friend of Edmund's who was here from Taiwan) and after trying it and thinking, "wow, this is spinny," Edmund tried it and I block his loops all the time and, with MX-P, I couldn't! With MX-P his loops had too much spin and I didn't get enough time to adjust to them. So I decided the rubber was worth trying.

And again, if I don't like it on the V'King I will just put it back on my V+. Because it played great on it even though I did not like the feeling of the blade with MX-P. It still played really well.

So, a bit of figuring out what will work best with MX-P and then I will have a setup that stays the same for a long time. Pretty sure.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am using max. I find, for the way I spin the ball, less than max doesn't work. But this sponge is really dense. So that may not be the case and perhaps I should try a thinner sponge with MX-P. It is definitely the spinniest rubber I have ever tried.

Last edited: