T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
...And that means (for me) unsuccessful rule changes.

Does anyone see flaws in these arguments?

They have said time and time again. The T2 is an experimental platform, sort of a lab. Not a bad thing. We need real top players to test things out. ITTF under Sharara used to test rules out in some never-heard-of competitions in remote countries that I couldn't even locate on the world map.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Why would you say that? The prize money for the winner of this tournament is quite high.

The rules are different. The kid played well, but beating Ma Long in two fast 5s with alternate serving is not the same as beating Ma Long in a beat of seven, all to 11. 4-2. I have no doubt the kid is capable but he hasn't done it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The kid is certainly capable. He doesn't seem to faze easily, very calm and cool. And shy! :D

The rules are different. The kid played well, but beating Ma Long in two fast 5s with alternate serving is not the same as beating Ma Long in a beat of seven, all to 11. 4-2. I have no doubt the kid is capable but he hasn't done it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Believe it or not. John Burgess used to be the go-to commentator for ITTF 10 years ago. He commentates for many other sports as well.

That is why he is incredibly lousy. He is obviously a professional voice with zero love for the sport, and I have seen him commentate many matches over the years with the enthusiasm of a fan and the knowledge of an inebriated ant. It is truly a marvel that someone can project so much fake enthusiasm without winning Oscar's. Reminds you that life is not always what you think it is.

Jan 2018
That is why he is incredibly lousy. He is obviously a professional voice with zero love for the sport, and I have seen him commentate many matches over the years with the enthusiasm of a fan and the knowledge of an inebriated ant. It is truly a marvel that someone can project so much fake enthusiasm without winning Oscar's. Reminds you that life is not always what you think it is.

Many feel the same about his badminton commentary...

https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...he-should-commentate-more-tournaments.171073/

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Also lady comentator is really poor I cannot hear her at all. I do not understand how they choose these guys.

That’s Jill Parker, a formidable defender in her time (although she was called Jill Hammersley then). She has a keen eye and things to say, but doesn’t get enough words in for any form of sensible analysis/commentary.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ma Long is not happy with the loss LOL. But it was not a real match and they both know it.

Ma Long is 1 level higher than Lin
Both played with this new rule for the first time.
And both of them know that Ma Long treated it as a real much and he shouldn't have lost.
Ma Long indeed is pissed off with himself, just look at how he answered the interview at the end.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
And both of them know that Ma Long treated it as a real much and he shouldn't have lost.
Ma Long indeed is pissed off with himself, just look at how he answered the interview at the end.

In another recent tour tournament vs a CNT top player, kid Lin came out blazing at the start but couldn't hold that level to finish the match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In another recent tour tournament vs a CNT top player, kid Lin came out blazing at the start but couldn't hold that level to finish the match.

and last year he was just in Jia A league challenging CNT C team players, and now he is knocking out B team with ease and challenging A team players.

No matter what, Ma Long is still higher level player with tons of more resources and if we look at game 1 and 2, which player do you remember that can take 7 and 6 points on a trot vs Ma Long? When last did this happen? I think never before did Ma Long lost so many points in 2 games back to back

Ma Long suppose to had won comfortably
his reaction at the end with the interview confirmed how this lost had affected him

It is very silly to do a media interview at that time frame with a very pissed off person

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well, the kid Lin has shown, he's the left-handed silent version of Tomokazu Harimoto for any given match.

all I can say seeing his progress for the past 3 years, his BH is very strong now.
his Jia A team mate was saying he will be Top 20 before end of 2019.
He got there in half the time.
He only played in the adult circuit from last year. Prior to that, he was only doing Junior and then U21

His head coach told me 3 years back that he is a Top 10 candidate and has the potential to do much better than Chuang and become a more frequent top 5.

I'm glad the national team send former world top 3, Chiang to look after him on tour

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
It will be interesting following LYJ's progress over the next few years.

Of course ML is pissed over the loss. He has the heart of a champion that wants to win every single tournament he enters.

In a way I'm almost glad ML lost. Gives him some much needed rest. He looks mentally and physically fried.

The calendar has been brutal for everyone. If ITTF's goal is the walking dead, mission accomplished.

This user has no status.

Of course ML is pissed over the loss. He has the heart of a champion that wants to win every single tournament he enters.

In a way I'm almost glad ML lost. Gives him some much needed rest. He looks mentally and physically fried.

The calendar has been brutal for everyone. If ITTF's goal is the walking dead, mission accomplished.
*Almost* glad? You're seriously saying you'd rather see ML win this match instead of LYJ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

ML sometimes get struck in a passive frame of mind either because he does not want to put his full 100% due to injury or for whatever reason. Either way it does not end well for him. Reminds me.of 2018 Japan Open's loss to TH where he did the same passive BH thing and got royally owned. In all reality, age is starting to rear its ugly head in ML's game. He cant do what he used to do before consistently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Yes but it is not a real match. I know you love the boy but that is the bottom line. When there is no deuce, it changes the match dynamics significantly.

Lin outplayed Ma Long. But it is not a real match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaid323918