Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Der_Echte , just shows my limited experience against short pips ... :)
monster, I have seen HARDBAT players kill you if you push and it is net height. Granted, there are NOT a lot of SP players who will do opening topspins vs a push - some do, but not many, the spin will not be as heavy and safe to land that shot, but some can do an OK BH loop with SP. Most will slap shot an underspin hard. Yes, if you can keep it low AND heavy underspin, you make it damned difficult to slap-shot attack. If it isn't absolutely low, I have seen some 1600 level players slap it for winners consistently.

You really have to know your opponent and know what you can get away with.

There is a Korean lady at Smash in Virginia who is a J-Pen inverted with a very flat crush shot every time she steps around, it is much like SP, but with inverted. She is only slapping the piss outta the ball with next to no spin. If the ball is real low, she will never land that attack, but if it is net high, she will kill it 2/3 of the time, if higher, almost never miss. She does a real heavy low underspin fast and deep to get you to push, then she pushes again, making it also look heavy and fast, but it is a DEAD push, so if you push, the ball will set up nice and high enough for her and point is over. If I do not attack her first push successfully, I will fall into that pattern and it favors her heavily.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I dont have a battleship batload of experience either, but enough to know that if I give a Div 3 or better player a net high underspin I'm gunna pay for it. Some Div 4 J-Pen players will sideswipe crush smash some of those too.

Not everyone will all play the same, it comes down to testing out the opponent and see what you can get away with at what percentages. No one falls below a certain level line, we gotta find out for ourselves by paying the price in a match or watching the individual player enough.

Reactions: ttmonster
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Took a 1.5 hour (2.5 hour :p) lesson yesterday here in Austin while visiting a friend. Lots of drills on forehand to backhand transition and on changing speeds from slow spinney to fast power loops back and forth. Push then loop etc.. Lesson was scheduled as a group lesson with 6 players and the coach from 7 pm until 930 pm but after 1.5 hours I was gassed. I "must" work more on my conditioning if I am going to get back to an aggressive style. I can't run with my bad knees but I think Der Echte has the right idea with the bicycle.

says what [IMG]
I haven't been able to touch a table in weeks. So I've been doing shadows. Mostly just forehand loops vs block for weeks now.

I've found out a lot about my form. My swing plane is better, and I'm starting to really understand what you wanna do just as your arm starts moving.

Mainly, I've learned to lift the forearm properly and to keep it relaxed. I had problems keeping the swing plane looking good and the swing feeling good, but those are mostly a thing of the past. I haven't tested it against a ball yet, but it "looks" like there should be more spin, because it's not so flat.

Now we see how many months it takes to fully translate this into hitting. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Played yesterday and I think I'm getting used to the new setup. I was having problem brushing the ball previously. However yesterday I compared bouncing the ball between SPW / Rakza and IF ZLC / Tenergy and for some reason I get way more vibration on the IF ZLC, a faster 7 ply composite blade.

My prime suspect is due to the harder or feeling or rakza 7. I'm also having problem with the overall weight of my setup. My SPW is 92g and the overall setup weight is 194g which puts each rubber at 51g. Considering to switch back to Tenergy 05 on my FH, seems like I just can't live without it on my forehand. It's not the spin, I just love the tenergy feeling above all. Not quiet sure about BH. I love Tenergy 64 and 80 for BH but 2 tenergies are damn expensive. Don't know which rubber has the same overall hardness and feel similar

TL;DR: HALP!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Played yesterday and I think I'm getting used to the new setup. I was having problem brushing the ball previously. However yesterday I compared bouncing the ball between SPW / Rakza and IF ZLC / Tenergy and for some reason I get way more vibration on the IF ZLC, a faster 7 ply composite blade.

My prime suspect is due to the harder or feeling or rakza 7. I'm also having problem with the overall weight of my setup. My SPW is 92g and the overall setup weight is 194g which puts each rubber at 51g. Considering to switch back to Tenergy 05 on my FH, seems like I just can't live without it on my forehand. It's not the spin, I just love the tenergy feeling above all. Not quiet sure about BH. I love Tenergy 64 and 80 for BH but 2 tenergies are damn expensive. Don't know which rubber has the same overall hardness and feel similar

TL;DR: HALP!

You are overthinking this.

One doesn't simply resist the temptation of tenergy :rolleyes:

Rakza and tenergy definitely don't share the same touch.

About Powerwood I don't find it a really a flex blade, it feels a bit stiff and soft. I have a great time looping with this blade and I like it better flat hitting and blocking than more flexible blades.

Since I'm using one most of the time I'm biased for sure :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I played yesterday and felt average. I played with 3 players, one of which was a junior state champion 30-40 years ago. I had a very hard time keeping the ball on the table. Dropped my confidence quite a bit.

It happens to everyone until you get used to that level. Don't give it any mind.

On the match video clip you shared of your best pointment, I noticed some non-standard fOrmond and technique which you could probably refine. Learning standard technique and using it all the time till you can control the balls of good players is the simplest way to gain confidence. Otherwise you will be forever experimenting when certain questions should be closed in your mind on how to approach certain balls correctly. I tell people that in practice it is better to block one way and produce a consistent ball than to have 5 blocks that don't really change the quality of the ball. That one block will adapt itself over time to different spins based on your read and it will be able to handle better balls under pressure. Your five blocks will cause confusion and uNess they produce radically different spins, the confusion will be mostly yours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
One doesn't simply resist the temptation of tenergy :rolleyes:

I agree the SPW is head heavy. Some people can't use the blade for that reason and some people use a lighter rubber on backhand. I used Hexer but I also have a head heavy training blade that I have glued 3 sheets of rubber to on each side. Ever since I started using that for shadow strokes, complaints about weight have generally disappeared for most blades with reasonable balance.

Yes new IF ZLC is more flexible in some ways - I am not sure whether that is a good thing for a composite but everyone has their own view. But at this point for you, you need to pick something and stick to it. Most players who can beat you can beat you with either blade. The SPW is my recommendation for people with speed addiction but there are better things for people who want to recover. They are just slower than the addicts like.