Balls for training

This user has no status.
I am thinking to buy balls for training or practice, minimum 100, so i will go with something like those 120 packs, but i really don't know which brand or model of balls i should avoid before i buy them, any recommendations?

I have that 6 balls of XSF 3-stars and they are very very nice balls, i play with a friend for many times or hours and the balls are really nice durability, it is very much like an old balls [celluloid i mean] style, but it is really expensive and i didn't find that pack of many balls of this brand.

Nittaku and Tibhar plastic balls are nice, but i think they are expensive as large quantity packs, i found Donic coach balls but i don't know how good are those, if you know something else please let me know.

Just as a side question, should i practice with plastic balls when i am not playing any tournaments and some play with old balls and other times with plastic balls? what will be the problem if i just practice with non plastic balls but i play with plastic balls when/if needed?

This user has no status.
Great, thanks!

I think i will give that XSF from ttnpp a try, sounds a good deal, i won't worry much how good quality the balls are, at least have something to start with better than nothing.

But still didn't get the answer to my question about training with celluloid balls instead of plastic, will it change things or not recommended nowadays?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
But still didn't get the answer to my question about training with celluloid balls instead of plastic, will it change things or not recommended nowadays?

Well if you like to play just for the fun of it, you should grab whatever is available, but if you plan playing competitive at tournaments it would make sense to train with what will be used at the tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well if you like to play just for the fun of it, you should grab whatever is available, but if you plan playing competitive at tournaments it would make sense to train with what will be used at the tournament.

Just like playing with blades or even preparing for a test. If you care about the result, use the blade you intend to use at the tournament or study the material that will be tested on the exam. If you don't care about the result, use any blade or just party before the exam or read up on other topics. ;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, if you want to use celluloid balls for training, you can. I go back and forth from celluloid to plastic over and over because some of the places I play use celluloid balls still.

But I would rather not switch over and over. Because the technique is kind of different with the 40+ balls and celluloid balls. The spin is very different so how you contact the ball and the kind of touch you need is different.

But it is possible to go back and forth.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
It is really difficult decision, because i really don't play in any tournaments, but when i play in the club academy most members prefer to use plastic, but some others don't care and play even with cheap cell balls, and i only use 3 stars cell balls even for playing for fun, and with some friends i do have my own 3 stars plastic balls, and i mentioned that XSF is my favorite now, but i do have Tibhar 3 stars 40+ balls too, and 2 days ago when i was in the club i practiced with Nitakku 3 stars balls owned by others.

So, for practice, i care much about improving my skills and footwork and same the positions, so i may not focus much on what type of balls, and i can afford balls but i really spent a lot already so i want to save a bit for balls now, some balls may go missing and break while practicing so i don't want to buy expensive ones for training, but if there are some 1 or 2 stars plastic balls that are good enough and reasonable prices then why not, the different quality isn't an issue, i play in different places and i manage to play with different balls even cheapo 1 star balls, but even if i play with 3 stars balls it is not that much different to me, i can always use the ones i prefer either mine or others if they have, we aren't forced to use one type after all, but i only thinking about training balls, don't want highest quality ones if big quantity.

Thank you very much all!

This user has no status.
I found those two as cheapest options, did someone here tested them already?

http://ttnpp.com/store/home/840-xushaofa-new-seamless-poly-ball-1-star-144-pcs-39.html

http://ttnpp.com/store/ball/851-dou...-acetate-material-40-1-stars-ball-100-39.html

For the first one, the price is really very nice, i can buy even 2 boxes, but i would like to know the quality, sure not as other 3-stars balls including XSF itself, but if it is not that much behind or last for enough period and some training then why not.

I am not keep about Double Fish items yet, so i am not sure about their balls too, so i put them as last option after the big names i know.

This user has no status.
I think any 1 star or better - 2 star is great for training
if you have the money, then go 3 star
I prefer seamless over seam

No question about 3 star against 1/2 star ones.

I completely agree about the seamless, i also prefer the seamless one, i few times tried seam one when i practice with my friend, it sounds so heavy and not that smooth in playing, even the sound of bounce is different than most balls, but i don't know if that is because of seam/seamless or something else.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
No question about 3 star against 1/2 star ones.

I completely agree about the seamless, i also prefer the seamless one, i few times tried seam one when i practice with my friend, it sounds so heavy and not that smooth in playing, even the sound of bounce is different than most balls, but i don't know if that is because of seam/seamless or something else.

imo, people worry too much about balls
About the 4 types of balls - I agree and disagree
There are some balls that are heavier and more celluloid feel (I know many brands that offer 2 different types of seam balls), so I would actually say, there are maybe 6 or 7 types of balls now.

But, how would you make a practice to match tournament environment?
Can you adjust tables to match
Can you adjust playing area to match
Can you adjust playing altitude to match
no you can't right?

I would say, just enjoy the game and if you can afford only 3 stars, then, you are a lucky guy

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
imo, people worry too much about balls
About the 4 types of balls - I agree and disagree
There are some balls that are heavier and more celluloid feel (I know many brands that offer 2 different types of seam balls), so I would actually say, there are maybe 6 or 7 types of balls now.

But, how would you make a practice to match tournament environment?
Can you adjust tables to match
Can you adjust playing area to match
Can you adjust playing altitude to match
no you can't right?

I would say, just enjoy the game and if you can afford only 3 stars, then, you are a lucky guy

I agree sort of, except that I would stipulate one thing: The Chinese seamed balls are really bad still, and I hope that DHS makes fast progress in reverse engineering the Nittaku Premium. Clearly other environmental factors matter too.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
I can afford 3 stars celluloid balls as i said, but plastic is expensive even 2 stars compared to old one, and if i go with only top brand plastic or 40+mm balls then it will cost me a lot only for balls in quantity, but i talked with a coach i mostly call and talk/ask, and he gave me an idea, so i think i should go with his idea better, and see if it works for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The xushaofa balls are great but 1dollar per ball is still way to expensive for a big packs of balls... This industry needs to get a grip. We use stiga 3 star in my club and everytime you hit a ball with the edge and hard you will break them.

I prefer the Nittaku balls but they are also crazy expensive.

This user has no status.
Ok, i think i may think more and go with whatever, the coach told me that even if i practice with celluloid balls it won't make it worse, and he said that he was playing or practicing with old balls for over 10 years, nearly 15 maybe, and he took about only 1 week to adjust for plastic balls, so if i go with old balls to practice then it won't make any problem for me to use plastic, i do play with both balls time to time and i don't have any problems with both, in fact playing with plastic is way easier than old balls, so i told the coach if i can manage to control the old balls which is faster, then plastic balls is slightly heavier and slower so it will be easier for me to adjust to it quicker, isn't mastering with difficult thing will make easier thing more manageable?!!!

He advised me to go with DHS 1 star for training if i choose old balls, he told me he does training with some members using this ball and no complain from members or even him, but if he says that DHS 1 star is that good for training then i can easily get DHS 3 star in quantity, not expensive, and it should be better than DHS 1 star, maybe he advised DHS 1 star because so much cheap and no need to go for high quality old balls anyway, but 3 star DHS is my favorite ball, if i don't play with plastic balls then i only play with DHS 3 star because i have them in small quantity also but mixed colors.