What is your second passion?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Does anyone here share my passion of playing multiplayer Tetris?

Here's an example

Used to play a good bit, not multiplayer. Just jumped on tetris friends to see if I could still play okay. Cleared marathon at 840k, don't know what mode people actually play but I like that you can t-spin both directions now.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Used to play a good bit, not multiplayer. Just jumped on tetris friends to see if I could still play okay. Cleared marathon at 840k, don't know what mode people actually play but I like that you can t-spin both directions now.

Although marathon isn't what most people play, 840k is pretty good! I'll see what score I'll get. Rotation in both directions is definitely a thing now, and some sites have a 180 degree rotation.

Most people play sprint and all sorts of multiplayer. I will warn you that Tetris Friends isn't very good for sprint, but it is good for multiplayer. I used to play on Tetris Friends, it gets a little laggy sometimes.

Nowadays, I play on JSTris if I want a challenge (pros play there), or Tetris Battle on Facebook if I want to win (noobs play there).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Although marathon isn't what most people play, 840k is pretty good! I'll see what score I'll get. Rotation in both directions is definitely a thing now, and some sites have a 180 degree rotation.

Most people play sprint and all sorts of multiplayer. I will warn you that Tetris Friends isn't very good for sprint, but it is good for multiplayer. I used to play on Tetris Friends, it gets a little laggy sometimes.

Nowadays, I play on JSTris if I want a challenge (pros play there), or Tetris Battle on Facebook if I want to win (noobs play there).

anyway to increase how fast a piece will move over if held a direction? for example: if I know I want a piece that's coming into play next against a wall, rather than tapping over 4 times quickly I could pre-emptively hold the direction if it repeats quick enough.

Also when you battle, I noticed the amount of lines sent is reflective of how many you clear at once. So instead of going for a "tetris" to send 4 lines, wouldn't it be better to go for 2 lines at a time so the opponent wouldn't get 4 empty spaces in a row?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I've got quite a few interests you could probably list as "passions", but probably the biggest source of casual enjoyment/time waste nowadays is video games. Everything else I do is somehow linked to learning skills, or bettering myself in general, but gaming is nowadays mostly a casual social experience for me.

I used to play competitively and take gaming more seriously, striving to improve, and I did get to a pretty decent top level in some games. I know a lot of people from that field, so I occasionally get to punch above my weight with some seriously good players, especially in strategy games that I am really quite bad at.
I trained myself to be a very much so above average RTS gamer with some high level coaching recently, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly top level.

Nowadays all I really do is play RTS and MOBA games with friends, or hop onto a server in Project Reality or Squad and lead some randoms.
People always go on about how hard or stressing it is, because you need to get random people you don't usually know to do things cohesively in a group with just verbal commands. Leadership skills are obviously required.
It's not that hard for me, but I guess after half a decade, it becomes routine.

Lately there's been days where I didn't launch a game and just read the whole day or worked on something, but I guess that's not a bad development. :rolleyes:

Which RTS games are you playing? I used to play lots of Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. But haven't touched them in a while :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
anyway to increase how fast a piece will move over if held a direction? for example: if I know I want a piece that's coming into play next against a wall, rather than tapping over 4 times quickly I could pre-emptively hold the direction if it repeats quick enough.

Also when you battle, I noticed the amount of lines sent is reflective of how many you clear at once. So instead of going for a "tetris" to send 4 lines, wouldn't it be better to go for 2 lines at a time so the opponent wouldn't get 4 empty spaces in a row?

Yeah, you can hold the arrow button to slide it over, but it might not be fast enough, unless upgraded.
The speed of the controls can be upgraded, but that requires playing for coins/gems, which can take a long time. Same with Tetris Battle.

Full customization of controls without in-game currency is available on JSTris, Nullpomino, or Tetris Online Poland. The first can be played on a browser, but the auto-repeat rate is designed to be instantaneous, as JSTris was made specifically for pros.

Here's me playing on JSTris

The latter two can be customized, but have to be downloaded. Nullpomino doesn't have a big multiplayer base anymore, but is extremely good for solo play, as it has a built in bot, automatic recording of games, and all sorts of game modes.

As for line sends,

clearing 1 line sends 0 lines
clearing 2 line sends 1 line
clearing 3 line sends 2 lines
clearing 4 line sends 4 lines

T-spin singles sends 1 line
T-spin doubles sends 4 line
T-spin triples sends 6 lines

There are combos in this game too for clearing lines consecutively. Usually it's
0,1,1,2,2,3,3,4+

So clearing doubles is alright for sending messy garbage, but combos does a better job at that.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Which RTS games are you playing? I used to play lots of Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. But haven't touched them in a while :)
I never touched Starcraft or Warcraft competitively, or at all in depth really because the Asian community is so strong that you basically need to train full time to survive in anything over a mid tier bracket. I'm not too fond of spam-based RTS competitively anyway because I don't have the APM for it and I'm just outright bad at building based spammy RTS. I might try them out seriously some day.

Competitively I've played Men of War and I'm probably best at that: I can survive somewhat against world top 5. Never been in tournaments: I was supposed to be in the 2v2 tournament going on but I didn't have the time to train. However I can probably take 97% of the community in a 1v1. :rolleyes:
Men of War is very individual unit and thinking outside the box based without any buildings and a slower pace and less units, with a big chunk of lag luck playing a part as well, so I'm decent especially with Germany. Brandenburger spam fur das vaterland! Gates of Hell is coming out, some day who knows when, so I will be playing that. I tried out Call to Arms, but it's not really my taste.

I've played some Company of Heroes as well, but connection issues and just how easy the game is put me off. I've been trying to get into DoW II Elite for a good year or so now, without luck as I never get to launching it. :p

Actually never tried anything like Kingdoms or Cossacks, the ye-olde base building RTS. I probably should some day. However I have played Command and Conquer and Supreme Commander, and I still haven't really adopted the spam. Definitely not good competitively in those.

8-bit Invaders just came out, like two days ago, and I picked it up and beat the coop campaign with a friend and got a free key for Hordes. It's a CnC based spam game, and it took a few days to really embrace just spamming one strong unit and blotting out the sun. Haven't even went online yet.

Some years ago, when Wargame was coming out, I bought all the Wargame titles and played somewhat competitively getting to a decent 1v1 rank and skill level in AirlandBattle. However Wargame is fundamentally flawed and a shit RTS with a nice idea, so eventually I got sick of countering 1v1 early helo rush yolo decks over and over in a game that heavily discourages attacking AND defending, so I just quit. Red Dragon doesn't quite have the Germany/France helo spam opener bullshit that ALB had, but I still don't like it. Maybe I'm just bad. :rolleyes:

Open RA is always free to download and play. Hit me up if you have Steam or something and we could go for a few rounds some day. I'm really shit at base building RTS, so it might even be somewhat balanced or a stomp your way!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Communications by trade, musician by heart.
Been playing bass for the last 27 years..

If you've never heard him before, here is Liten's music:

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Apr 2016
Not knowing your passions must suck. It must mean you’re an empty shell of a human being with no prospect of ever escaping the flatline ‘blah’ of commute-work-commute-die existence.

Well that’s a load of rubbish. Who in the real world ever even thinks about passions? Seriously, who says “oh I can’t go out with you tonight because that’s not one of my PASSIONS. Even though it would be fun and all”.

All the fun stuff you do, the moments in your life when you’ve felt completely yourself, happy and in flow. Were they on the list of things you call ‘passions’? Or were they just moments you let down your hair, freed your sexy little soul, and enjoyed?

Reactions: Flatstyk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Not knowing your passions must suck. It must mean you’re an empty shell of a human being with no prospect of ever escaping the flatline ‘blah’ of commute-work-commute-die existence.

Well that’s a load of rubbish. Who in the real world ever even thinks about passions? Seriously, who says “oh I can’t go out with you tonight because that’s not one of my PASSIONS. Even though it would be fun and all”.

All the fun stuff you do, the moments in your life when you’ve felt completely yourself, happy and in flow. Were they on the list of things you call ‘passions’? Or were they just moments you let down your hair, freed your sexy little soul, and enjoyed?

And this was lifted from here:

http://www.free-range-humans.com/out-of-the-box/fpassions/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
To start chanting to our favorite troll, or to assume bot and block? Admirable research skills, pgpg. Good looking out for the forum

Credit goes to Google - their search is awesome at finding sites where exact phrase appears (must be a nightmare for enterprising students 'writing' their term papers...).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

pgpg has correctly identified that Susanne's passion is stealing quotes without crediting the source. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

To start chanting to our favorite troll, or to assume bot and block? Admirable research skills, pgpg. Good looking out for the forum

I sent "Susanne" a PM. I am not sure there is much harm in a bot that is quoting without attributing as long as the bot isn't spamming. I looked at all posts from that user account. Some don't seem to be quotes. But it never fully comes off as a real human being. So, I am not sure what the purpose is, if this is a bot.

Last edited: