Gewo Nexus EL Pro 48

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Has anyone tried Gewo Nexus EL Pro 48? I've heard its a good backhand rubber, but can't really find any good reviews.

I never understood what a backhand rubber or forehand rubber is?

Nexxus EL 48 is a great offensive rubber with a strong emphasis on spin. It follows the latest technological concept of thinner topsheet paired with even thicker sponge on the maxx version.

I am sure you would find it easier to play than your Vega Pro, since it offers more catapult than your Vega, yet equal spin.

If you´d like an even easier to play rubber from GEWO try Hype KR.

Paired with the Vega, this would make a combination of harder forehand, softer and more forgiving backhand, the way many people prefer it.
But if you´ve handled Vega Pro both sides you can easily switch to EL 48 on both sides, I think.
And if you don´t like the new maxx, ultramaxx, max+ concept try Hype EL 47,5 - it rocks out of the box ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
In my opinion usually its a bit softer, grippier and spinnier than FH rubber.

If that´s the preference, then it would be helpful to know the FH rubber.
For most people, if 48 degree sponge on BH is "softer" then there is not much room for FH ;)

And thanks for your comment, it was helpful.

That´s good, you`re welcome.

Have tested my way through the GEWO palette, mainly around the 47.5 degree mark ...

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I totally agree with Airoc. There is no such thing as FH rubber and BH rubber. There are rubbers. And any rubber can be used on either wing. When someone has bigger impact on BH then they can deal with harder sponge. If a player's impact on BH is stronger than their impact on FH, then they may actually benefit from the harder rubber on the BH. It is easy to understand why, often a player will have more explosive impact on FH. But, not always.

And, in general, players would be better off thinking of the default as using the same rubber for FH and BH and only modifying that if they really do need slightly softer for one wing. Still, usually, players would be better off getting something as close to the same even if one side is slightly softer. Most of the time. Unless you know already for certain one wing has a specific need, using as close to the same on both wings can help the two wings develop in parallel. Arbitrarily choosing different rubbers for different wings can cause the two wings to develop a bit more asymmetrically.

Reactions: Armin and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Arbitrarily choosing different rubbers for different wings can cause the two wings to develop a bit more asymmetrically.

This is why I cringe when recommendations for beginners go "Take XYZ 1,8 mm on forehand and ZYX 1,5 mm on backhand." (The backhand rubber being slower by default and thinner)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is why I cringe when recommendations for beginners go "Take XYZ 1,8 mm on forehand and ZYX 1,5 mm on backhand." (The backhand rubber being slower by default and thinner)

Same. I see lots of questionable advice that just doesn't seem to make sense.

And the thing about the thinner rubbers thing is, if you already are skilled at spinning and controlling the depth of your contact, then you will probably be fine spinning with any reasonable thickness. But if you are not skilled at controlling how deeply you let the ball penetrate into the sponge when you spin, then a sponge as thin as 1.5 or even 1.8 may make it much harder for to learn how to spin because it will reward flat contact. Thinner rubbers give you more control for hitting flatter. And thicker rubbers give you more control for spinning. :)

And if you already are skilled at spinning the ball, you probably want Max or 2.0 anyway. Unless you are chopping. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Guys , these things formed on my nexus el pro 48

https://i.imgur.com/PUQpyNQ.jpg

Did I glue it wrong or ? Considering they are around the periphery, they should not have a negative impact, but kind of curious since this is the first time this has happened to me.

Take the rubber off, remove the old glue from the blade and rubber and try again. That could be from how you removed the glue from the blade last time. There could be little bumps of glue (or something else) that were all over the blade.

So it would be worth trying to remove all glue thoroughly and trying to glue it again.

Not sure how that would happen as a result of the rubber itself.

Reactions: JustANoob
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
Take the rubber off, remove the old glue from the blade and rubber and try again. That could be from how you removed the glue from the blade last time. There could be little bumps of glue (or something else) that were all over the blade.

So it would be worth trying to remove all glue thoroughly and trying to glue it again.

Not sure how that would happen as a result of the rubber itself.

Ok just got back home and removed the rubber ... but I do not see anything on the sponge or blade. Kind of scratching my head here. Was expecting little bundles of glue or something.

sponge: https://i.imgur.com/GuafCkz.jpg
blade : https://i.imgur.com/Y4d1tQF.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Jul 2019
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Depends on what you are using for glue, but your glue jobs are lumpy and uneven. Sometimes, removing and regluing rubber causes the unevenness with new layers being formed on unevenly attached or unglued layers, either on blade or rubber. But porous rubbers respond to such unevenness more but they still play well. Just use the rubber and stop over thinking it unless the blobs are really large.

Last edited:
Jul 2019
Depends on what you are using for glue, but your glue jobs are lumpy and uneven. Sometimes, removing and regluing rubber causes the unevenness with new layers being formed on unevenly attached or unglued layers, either on blade or rubber. But porous rubbers respond to such unevenness more but they still play well. Just use the rubber and stop over thinking it unless the blobs are really large.

Its not the glue, its a good one, has to be me, will do a better job the following gluing. Its good when you learn something new, thank you and Carl :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well that was not very fun.

https://i.imgur.com/fjqh9A5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sI8Iqua.jpg

I am not sure if I am imagining it, but maybe they are less pronounced ?

Edit: Yea, went to compare with first picture, definitely less visible, how do I avoid forming them again when re-gluing ?

The idea is that now you reglue and make the glue as even as you can and see how it looks after the rubber is on.

But NextLevel is also correct, it still should not affect play. After you reglue, you may also leave the blade under a pile of books for an hour or so to make sure the blade and rubber are pressed together.

But if all the old glue is gone and the new glue is spread evenly, it is probably going to look better than last time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I actually use this rubber, but I use it for forehand.
For backhand I use XT version, it adds more spin.
I also had trouble with control on my carbon blade, that is why I went with less thickness, I use 2.1 for forehand (EL) and 1.9 for backhand (XT).
I find it pretty good for me, I use bh spin, attacking style and sometimes blocks.. When I can stay relaxed and down with my knees bent, the block on bh is the easiest thing.. Unfortunatelly I struggle more with my technique and straight legs while playing, hehe.. bad habbit..
Anyways - I use the EL version for forehand and my serves are loaded with spin, mostly opponents that dont know me are really confused by the amount of spin on my serves, I managed even to fool our top players (one is now going to represent Slovakia in ETTTC). So for spin this is amazing rubber, I find it also very good for the control and power, well.. I am for gewo..

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
For me this rubber is almost ideal for BH, great control and spin, awesome for close to the table play, but for FH I would like to have slightly more harder and powerful rubber (I don't regularly play powerful BH far from a table, mostly just return balls in this situation, so EL48 is fine with it's great control play...), so played XT 48 for some time on FH, it was nice for me, but when EL50 appeared, I tried it and it works really just amazing for me on the FH (at first I thought it's crap actually, but this rubber really needs a lot of time to kick in, first 2-3 days it plays horrible, it's like a piece of wood, and it's show what it's really can do only after a week of regular playing...), actually I had quite a spurt of my local amateur tournament results in last 1-2 months and a lot of players with which I play regularly sayd to me that I kinda play much better, I think at least a part of this is because of EL48/EL50 combination which I use now...