Rule Approved! New colour rubbers as of 2020!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
A while ago I had to learn about a thing that I would like to share with the interested reader to the others might as well keep scrolling.
;)

I don't think any company starts a new product line and just floods the markets straight away.
I had to learn about the four phases of Boston matrix (not sure if I translated this correctly though)

1st phase is the question mark or also called problem child phase or launching phase, where you introduce a new product, try create interest for it or try even creating a buzz around it. Many introduced products don't even make it beyond this 'prototype' stage, 'cause if the interest is too low it will be discarded.

2nd phase is the star phase, where the product takes off and reaches high market growth and high market share.

The third phase is the cash cow phase with high market share and cash generating.

The fourth and last phase is the poor dog stage with low market share and low market growth and rather neutral cash generating.

This is the phase where products either die away and become obsolete and go extinct
or they make these four stages turn into a cycle and start a reinvention of themselves or their products.
The older ones of us still might remember the days of mp3 players and eye_Pods....

I have a feeling that some tabletennis companies feel to be between stage 3 and stage 4 right now where new innovations might be needed before a notable decline could happen or even they might go bankrupt and extinct.

This here might help understand what i've just written above.
BCG-Matrix-Beispiel.jpg
BCG-Matrix2.svg.jpg
bostonmatrix-summary.jpg

So just producing thousands of rubbers straightaway in all rainbow colours and nuances is quite unlikely to happen from my point of view.

After all I still fail to see how having a bit more diversity should become that much of a problem.

But since it's just been decided that there will be a testing phase we might as well all relax a bit, lean back and wait and see how things pan out.

The argument for price increasement still doesn't hold stand in my eyes.
OmegaVIIpro, and dignics have already blown the fuse for that IMHO.

Last edited:

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I think some pros could actually use certain colors as a trademark.

And indeed they will, this is part of the positives. The problem is what it makes for whole sport and I'm with the guys inclining to opinion that in the end it will just increase cost (more rubber variants to certify, more variants to develop, control during manufacturing, logistic costs on manufacturers/brands/wholesale/cornershop...) and even if by few percent these will in the end need to be paid by me and you as usual players buying rubbers for the street price. Will it attract any new people to the game? To participate more? Very questionable...

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
So just producing thousands of rubbers straightaway in all rainbow colours and nuances is quite unlikely to happen from my point of view.
If they do not go and produce by a batch of thousands per article no, it will be very pricy

so now if you understand this point, you can agree with me about the cost of production which leads to the things you are trying to say (meaning you can't just make 100 sheets to test out)

ESN and all other rubber makers do not allow companies to just make 100 sheets at a time.
Without a proper order, the cost ratio cannot be absorb.
This is what I call Production Cost.

I think clothing, electronic, motor vehicle production is all the same

Flooding the market is something else and does not equal to minimal batch production quantity requirement.

I guess you haven't been in the business of ordering from the factory or have any friends or family in different industry in production.
I have made my own branded table tennis balls. The cost per ball ratio differs in every "major thousand" intervals.
The more qty the cheaper cost, the less quantity the more expensive cost per item.

If you still think a company can produce 100 rubbers at the same cost of 5000 and sell it for the same price as the cost of 5000pcs, then let that rest then.
Business/production is not for everyone, just like art,sports,science,medicine is not for every one too

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My crystal ball says we cannot tell what the future will hold. I think we will see, as it unfolds, what actually happens with this. For now, I am not so sure any of us really know. But one thing is sure, we cannot stop time.

So I will leave you guys with a song. :)

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The manufacturers will flood the market with a rainbow of colors of generic paddles. That will give them an idea of preferences.

At the higher end of products, they will start with an offer a couple selections of bright colors, pink for the female market, yellow for guys.

Yellow might not make it if they pass the yellow color for balls, according to Weikert's comment. No voting on yellow balls at this AGM, but will be experimented.

http://gzdaily.dayoo.com/pc/html/2019-04/24/content_109081_599695.htm
  这项提议是由中国香港乒乓总会率先提出的,主席余国梁在接受本报记者采访时透露,他们是受到了年轻队员的启发,认为球拍胶皮的颜色可以用他们的发色、衣着作陪衬。“乒乓球拍的红与黑已很多年了,我们一直在思考,有什么可以吸引更多年轻人打乒乓球呢?中国香港队的苏慧音曾把头发染成了粉红色。如果球拍的颜色也能有更多变化,年轻人对此也将更有兴趣。”

余国梁透露,在向国际乒联提议之前,他们也咨询过器材委员会的意见。“本来,我们建议球拍两面的胶皮颜色都能改变,但是因为担心‘撞色’,所以建议保留黑色。”他认为,器材制造商也会欢迎这项提议,因为他们也能生产更多颜色的胶皮,满足不用要求的乒乓球爱好者。至于运动员的意见,余国梁透露,他们咨询过中国香港队,“这项运动要年轻化,更加摩登,不能太死板。”

在年度代表大会结束后的新闻发布会上,国际乒联主席托马斯·维克特愉快地宣布,胶皮颜色改革被通过,至于具体可以使用的颜色,他倒是没有给出答案。斯蒂夫·丹顿补充,这个改革将在2020年东京奥运会之后推行,国际乒联将制定相关的细则和条款。除了胶皮颜色发生改变之外,乒乓球的颜色也很有可能被改为黄色,目前正处于测试阶段,未有进入投票环节。如果今后乒乓球改为黄色,那么,黄色胶皮应该不能被使用,维克特举了这个例子。

乒乓球器材制造商广州双鱼认为这项改革体现了国际乒联着眼于将来的广阔视野,因为胶皮有多种颜色,让消费者有更多选择,供求双方都有更大空间。至于彩色胶皮在生产制造工艺与传统红与黑胶皮的差别,广州双鱼认为,理论上是区别不大,只是需要时间来调配适合的颜色。“因为习惯了红与黑很多年,不知道换了之后是否适应,到时再看吧。”中国女乒时尚达人刘诗雯暂时未有想到心仪的胶皮颜色,大满贯丁宁则表示,从小的球拍都是红色和黑色,相比颜色,她更看重海绵的性能。
The proposal was first proposed by the Hong Kong Table Tennis Association. Chairman Yu Kwok Leung revealed in an interview with our reporter that they were inspired by the young players and believed that the color of the racket rubber can be used as a foil for their hair color and clothing. "The red and black of table tennis racket have been that way for many years. We have been thinking about what can attract more young people to play table tennis. Soo Wai Yam of Hong Kong, China has dyed her hair pink. If the color of the racket can also have more changes, young people will find it more interesting."

Yu Kwok Leung revealed that they had consulted with the equipment committee before proposing to the ITTF. “Originally, we suggested that the color of the rubber on both sides of the racket be changeable, but it is recommended to keep the black on worries over the 'collision of color'.” He believes that equipment manufacturers will also welcome this proposal because they can also produce more color rubbers to meet the needs of table tennis enthusiasts. As for the opinions of the athletes, Yu Kwok Leung revealed that they had consulted the Hong Kong team. "The sport must become younger and more modern, not too rigid."

At the press conference after the end of the annual meeting, ITTF President Thomas Weikert announced happily that the rubber color reform had been passed, and he did not give an answer as to the specific color that could be used. Steve Dainton added that this reform will be implemented after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, and the ITTF will formulate the specifics and regulations. In addition to the change in the color of the rubber, the color of the table tennis ball is also likely to be changed to yellow, which is currently in the testing stage and has not entered the voting session. If the table tennis ball is changed to yellow in the future, then the yellow rubber might not be used, suggested Weikert.

Table tennis equipment manufacturer Guangzhou Double Fish believes that this reform reflects the ITTF's broad vision of the future, because the rubber has a variety of colors, allowing consumers to have more choices, both sides of supply and demand have more room. As for the difference between the production process of colored rubber and the traditional red and black rubber, Guangzhou Double Fish believes that the principle is not much different. It just takes time to match the appropriate color. "Because I am used to red and black for many years, I don't know if I will adapt after changing. Let's wait and see." Liu Shiwen, a Chinese women's table tennis fashionista, has not thought of the favorite rubber color. Grand Slam holder Ding Ning said that the racket has always been red and black since she was a kid, and she values ​​the performance of the sponge more than the color.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
I had thought that the yellow ball would be an additional option on top of white and orange, but this translation uses "changed to". Any hints about the aim of the yellow testing knocking around?

Ya, it should be an additional option. The newspaper probably quoted him wrong.

Proposition 5 (3/4majority required)

Proposed by the ITTF Equipment Committee.

To amend Law 2.3.3 so to permit yellow balls.

2.3.3 The ball shall be made of [strike]celluloid or similar plastics[/strike] plastic material and shall be white, yellow or orange, and matt. The implementation date shall be in 2021 (after the Olympic Games), and the final colour domain will be defined by the Equipment Committee to be submitted to the BoD in 2020.

N.B.:Celluloid is the first thermoplastic created in 1856; it is a “plastic material”, but highly flammable. ITTF should not specify this material in the “Laws”.

Rationale:
The human eye is highly sensitive to yellow. A yellow ball is more visible to players and spectators and can be used on red floors. If players can track the ball better, their performance may improve, perception errors being reduced.

Jan 2018
Many thanks.

The other scenario I can think of about the use of "change to" is that they will start to use yellow as the default on the tour. Which would be... interesting.

It'd be fantastic if they implement it at, say, the Diamond Tour. As for the use of yellow ball, the color temperature of the lighting will come into play. White will look more or less the same under different color temperature as it reflects all light equally. Yellow and orange will be trickier as they only reflect their own color.

color-temperature_grande.jpg

Ito complained a few days ago about the different color temperatures between the practice hall and main venue. ITTF needs to get this straightened out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
If they do not go and produce by a batch of thousands per article no, it will be very pricy

so now if you understand this point, you can agree with me about the cost of production which leads to the things you are trying to say (meaning you can't just make 100 sheets to test out)

ESN and all other rubber makers do not allow companies to just make 100 sheets at a time.
Without a proper order, the cost ratio cannot be absorb.
This is what I call Production Cost.

I think clothing, electronic, motor vehicle production is all the same

Flooding the market is something else and does not equal to minimal batch production quantity requirement.

I guess you haven't been in the business of ordering from the factory or have any friends or family in different industry in production.
I have made my own branded table tennis balls. The cost per ball ratio differs in every "major thousand" intervals.
The more qty the cheaper cost, the less quantity the more expensive cost per item.

If you still think a company can produce 100 rubbers at the same cost of 5000 and sell it for the same price as the cost of 5000pcs, then let that rest then.
Business/production is not for everyone, just like art,sports,science,medicine is not for every one too

B-b-but didn't I just explain that the "problem-child" phase is NOT a cash generating but a cash ABSORBING phase with rather higher investments to get the new product known from the little kid on the streets to the granny in her home?

Trying to 'break' a new product is actually the highest cost regarding advertisings, free samples, promo events etc.

It's also how one defines mass production. I could imagine DF, DHS and 729 have a different understanding than let's say ESN or Daiki and Fuso. And even if they will have to produce in larger numbers, who says that they won't start vaccuum sealing their rubbers like DHS and others already do, so shelf life will become less of an issue?
I don't think anyone can tell for sure but I'm quite sure rubbers or TT-equipment in general won't become cheaper in the future. Not sure if that ever has happened. And again, the customers also have some power, so if the idea doesn't work out customerwise in terms that they just don't buy it like Roundell, this whole idea might get faster discarded again than one can say shylock.

Also I think companies like DHS, DF, ESN, Fuso produce in rather different batch numbers than let's say Dr. Neubauer, Hallmark, Der Materialspezialist or Sauer&Tröger, who might be first to try out stuff because they might be more flexible, 'cause they're rather niche oriented than 'mainstream' and smaller than the big ones.

Also I remember this following post from this thread a while ago.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...t-80-of-pro-s-are-using-illegal-rackets/page4

...For example i know that there are 3 pro players who work at the andro/ESN development and test department.
There they can produce a RASANT with a special rubber compound on a small roll.The performance and endurance the result is on a whole another level then the comercial version.But only those 3 players are using those rubbers because it seems to be really hard/expensiv to mass produce those.

So maybe ESN will use this machine for producing green Rasanters and blue Bluestorms for the testing period. Who knows?
As I said, aparently we'll just have to wait and see how things develop.

See, since I'm a bit sad that the orange coloured Yasaka Tornado won't get a comeback, I personally actually couldn't care less which colours my rubbers have. To me that's completely irrelevant. It's far more relevant for me that the rubber supports the game I play and does the things I expect from it.

But if anyone wants to use pink pips, then who am I to judge over that and say:
NOOoooo! Sis little TT-world offf ours is just blackkkkkk&rrrrrrred oserwise se world will come to an end!
[in a harsh and hard sounding gerrrrmen accentttt]

[Emoji6]

Sort of like: i might not like the things you say, but i will fight for your right to say it.[as long it's not discriminating or insulting which goes without saying]

So if someone likes the idea using a different colour than red that's perfectly fine as long it's distinguishable from the black side, and if someone doesn't like the idea then that's also perfectly fine. Nobody will be forced to use one.

So let's just wait and see. I don't see many other options.
[Emoji6]

Yellow might not make it if they pass the yellow color for balls, according to Weikert's comment. No voting on yellow balls at this AGM, but will be experimented.

http://gzdaily.dayoo.com/pc/html/2019-04/24/content_109081_599695.htm

The proposal was first proposed by the Hong Kong Table Tennis Association. Chairman Yu Kwok Leung revealed in an interview with our reporter that they were inspired by the young players and believed that the color of the racket rubber can be used as a foil for their hair color and clothing. "The red and black of table tennis racket have been that way for many years. We have been thinking about what can attract more young people to play table tennis. Soo Wai Yam of Hong Kong, China has dyed her hair pink. If the color of the racket can also have more changes, young people will find it more interesting."

Yu Kwok Leung revealed that they had consulted with the equipment committee before proposing to the ITTF. “Originally, we suggested that the color of the rubber on both sides of the racket be changeable, but it is recommended to keep the black on worries over the 'collision of color'.” He believes that equipment manufacturers will also welcome this proposal because they can also produce more color rubbers to meet the needs of table tennis enthusiasts. As for the opinions of the athletes, Yu Kwok Leung revealed that they had consulted the Hong Kong team. "The sport must become younger and more modern, not too rigid."

At the press conference after the end of the annual meeting, ITTF President Thomas Weikert announced happily that the rubber color reform had been passed, and he did not give an answer as to the specific color that could be used. Steve Dainton added that this reform will be implemented after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, and the ITTF will formulate the specifics and regulations. In addition to the change in the color of the rubber, the color of the table tennis ball is also likely to be changed to yellow, which is currently in the testing stage and has not entered the voting session. If the table tennis ball is changed to yellow in the future, then the yellow rubber might not be used, suggested Weikert.

Table tennis equipment manufacturer Guangzhou Double Fish believes that this reform reflects the ITTF's broad vision of the future, because the rubber has a variety of colors, allowing consumers to have more choices, both sides of supply and demand have more room. As for the difference between the production process of colored rubber and the traditional red and black rubber, Guangzhou Double Fish believes that the principle is not much different. It just takes time to match the appropriate color. "Because I am used to red and black for many years, I don't know if I will adapt after changing. Let's wait and see." Liu Shiwen, a Chinese women's table tennis fashionista, has not thought of the favorite rubber color. Grand Slam holder Ding Ning said that the racket has always been red and black since she was a kid, and she values ​​the performance of the sponge more than the color.

Thanks Zeio, i was hoping for this post. You must have read my mind.
[Emoji2]

My crystal ball says we cannot tell what the future will hold. I think we will see, as it unfolds, what actually happens with this. For now, I am not so sure any of us really know. But one thing is sure, we cannot stop time.

So I will leave you guys with a song. :)

Hahaha. Almost like a little poem.
The first two lines rhyme.
[Emoji2]
Thanks Carl.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
It was the president of HKTTA again? :eek:
He has proposed the time-out and the material limit of racket.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
I really appreciate this rule change, because, it's not really a 'rule change', is just a "green light" for more colors.
If you don't like it, don't use it, if you do like it, AWESOME!
Those who say "it's unecesairy, Red and black is just fine" well, red and black is still fine, and I can use the same argument back at you, "all colors should be just fine!" I mean, what do you think people said when this ("only black and red rubbers") was made a "rule" in the 80s or 90s? Probably something along the lines of "what, that's unecesairy"
If brands don't want to make it, they don't have to, but for sure someone will. And they should by all means be allowed to.
Just my 2 scents.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I love it, I think it has been stupid to move years ago only to red and black. I had in the past a bat with a Black Power 2.0 and a yellow Magic Carbon 2.0. I thing I used all the colours you had in the market ;-), black, red, yellow, purple, blue but curiously not green...

Reactions: Suga D and yoass
Jan 2018
Meet Octopus Emerald, Octopus Yellow Jade and Octopus Orange Jade.

x6pzECs.jpg

6pCuN1J.jpg

YwfdT2S.jpg