SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
More quarantine experiments.

This is my second bamboo core blade, only 5mm thick so it's very flexible (as the frequency reading suggests). Very high throw blade, I thought it would be a lot slower than it really is.

Composition: Limba / Koto / Bamboo / Koto / Limba
Weight: 85.8g
Thickness: 5mm
Freq.: 925 Hz
Balance: 3.3cm (medium)

76_1.jpg

76_2.jpg

76_3.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Too bad it's fake bamboo :D
Haha, didn't even notice that when I first looked at the pictures. I wonder if you purposefully went to someone's house where there was fake bamboo for the photo shoot...

Hoe does it play? I imagine it to be extremely 'catapulty', best paired with hard rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Haha, didn't even notice that when I first looked at the pictures. I wonder if you purposefully went to someone's house where there was fake bamboo for the photo shoot...

Hoe does it play? I imagine it to be extremely 'catapulty', best paired with hard rubbers?

I did! But it was my parents house so I didn't commit any crime :)

Basically it plays like you described. Very catapulty, very high throw, very flexible. But it does have that slightly hollow feel of very thin blades like the all around classic. Harder rubbers are probably better for this blades, yes.

So after playing again with my main racket, I can share more insights with the asymmetric build from Sergio.
My main racket is a custom made 5-ply Western Red Cedar blade with a total thickness of 6mm.
I play Vega X on fh and Hexer Powergrip on bh.
Overall, my 6mm blade feels stiffer(!) in comparison to the blade from Sergio. This is something I somehow expected as the WRC blade is much thicker. It might be different if both sides would be "outer-style".
What I can tell though is that the blade from Sergio has the "typical" artificial fiber feeling. Throw angle is flat and you feel more "catapult" when you hit the ball hard. This is especially prominent on the side with the fiber directly beneath the outer verneer and the hard walnut.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
So after playing again with my main racket, I can share more insights with the asymmetric build from Sergio.
My main racket is a custom made 5-ply Western Red Cedar blade with a total thickness of 6mm.
I play Vega X on fh and Hexer Powergrip on bh.
Overall, my 6mm blade feels stiffer(!) in comparison to the blade from Sergio. This is something I somehow expected as the WRC blade is much thicker. It might be different if both sides would be "outer-style".
What I can tell though is that the blade from Sergio has the "typical" artificial fiber feeling. Throw angle is flat and you feel more "catapult" when you hit the ball hard. This is especially prominent on the side with the fiber directly beneath the outer verneer and the hard walnut.

I recall you were curious to find how a thin blade would play, that's why you asked for such thin blades. So, even with the composite fibers, the blade isn't very stiff, as the frequency suggested. Moreover, Innegra is a fiber that adds less stiffness when compared to ALC or plain carbon. But what about the difference between the sides? I got to test an asymmetric blade I made for a team mate and I must say the difference was very noticeable with that one!

Now, after some time I think I might have found the right words to describe the differences of both sides:
I was able to play with the "inner" side without much adjustments on fh as well as bh.
For the "outer" side, I had to adjust more and bh was a little bit easier for me to play.
So there IS indeed a difference but I would rate them as "not that much but noticable".
All in all I liked the "inner" side more in the beginning but after some time I really liked the "outer" side too.
Right now, I would tend to go for a symmetric "inner" composition but I only can tell for sure after I have tested the other blade. Will try to test it next Wednesday. Wanted to get myself again "grounded" while playing at least two sessions with my main setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Now, after some time I think I might have found the right words to describe the differences of both sides:
I was able to play with the "inner" side without much adjustments on fh as well as bh.
For the "outer" side, I had to adjust more and bh was a little bit easier for me to play.
So there IS indeed a difference but I would rate them as "not that much but noticable".
All in all I liked the "inner" side more in the beginning but after some time I really liked the "outer" side too.
Right now, I would tend to go for a symmetric "inner" composition but I only can tell for sure after I have tested the other blade. Will try to test it next Wednesday. Wanted to get myself again "grounded" while playing at least two sessions with my main setup.

My thoughts are that the difference between sides grows as the blade increases in thickness. Your blade is quite thin so those differences aren't very noticeable. Also, I think that the core may play a big part in this. Maybe a kiri core would accentuate these differences more than an ayous core.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
My thoughts are that the difference between sides grows as the blade increases in thickness. Your blade is quite thin so those differences aren't very noticeable. Also, I think that the core may play a big part in this. Maybe a kiri core would accentuate these differences more than an ayous core.

How does having one inner fiber and one outer fiber layer influence overall blade stability?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Hajto, what do you mean by stability?

Doesn't one side affect the other? If I recall correctly yogi was telling the story that Xiom had to triple the ALC side of IceCream so that ZLC is not disturbed. It's not the same principle since here, the placement of composite is variable not the composite itself, but this also should affect blade flex, no?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Doesn't one side affect the other? If I recall correctly yogi was telling the story that Xiom had to triple the ALC side of IceCream so that ZLC is not disturbed. It's not the same principle since here, the placement of composite is variable not the composite itself, but this also should affect blade flex, no?

Well, I don't know how Xiom makes their blades but I see no reason for that to happen. It seems to me more like a marketing gimmick to justify the cost of the blade. I used different composites here too, one side is inner Innegra-Carbon and the other is outer Aramid-Carbon and I didn't have to change anything in the building process. But I do always glue 2 layers at a time to have better control of the process, maybe that's the reason.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto