Is it time for a faster blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Hello guys I am playing table tennis for almost 2 years now I want to ask is it time for a faster blade for me my current set up.
Stiga Allround Classic
FH DHS Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge
BH Rakza 7
I have upgraded only rubbers until now and I will explain why I am looking for a blade change + game footage of me playing.
1. I am at a point where I can perform every stroke and technique in training with around 80 to 90 % success and I am looking to get the same quality and consistency in game play.
2.I feel like I am starting to prepare for a big forehand swing earlyer than I have to just because if I don't prepare I can't make a fast and quality topspin or smash. So I concentrate more on power than on footwork.
3.As you can see in the video I like to move few steps from the table and I feel like I lack power there even with these rubbers.
4.I am afraid to get a faster blade just because everyone says don't get a faster blade if you are not ready and my progress will get slower but everyone recommends faster blade for starting table tennis than my allround classic because of the new ball.
5. The blades that maybe I am thinking to buy is a 5ply all wood blade but with more power I am looking into Stiga Infinity VPS and Stiga Intensity NCT both are 5ply high quality blades and are not soo stiff and fast like 7ply blades.

What do you guys think Match - YouTube Here is the video of me playing I am the guy in the gray shirt just so you know my level.

Reactions: IB66 and Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
I think you could play with a faster blade, the Allround Classic is really slow. I would recommend either Yasaka Extra Offensive or Avalox P500, both very suitable for your H3 :)I would not switch to carbon yet, you could still improve your form a lot (more weight transfer to get more power). But a faster allwood blade would be helpful! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Have you tried a 7 ply blade before? There are 7 ply blades in different thickness and stiffness/speed and you may be pleasantly surprised to find one that is faster but as controllable or even more so than some 5 ply blades. I'd recommend trying out the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro blue handle or others like it. With the advent of plastic balls the trend is toward thicker faster blades and harder rubbers so don't be afraid to check 7 ply all wood blades out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Have you tried a 7 ply blade before? There are 7 ply blades in different thickness and stiffness/speed and you may be pleasantly surprised to find one that is faster but as controllable or even more so than some 5 ply blades. I'd recommend trying out the Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro blue handle or others like it. With the advent of plastic balls the trend is toward thicker faster blades and harder rubbers so don't be afraid to check 7 ply all wood blades out.

Maybe Stiga Clipper would be a good choice then for me as a penholder?

Reactions: Music&Ping
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2020
Couldn't agree more with WingTT: my old trusty 7 ply fiberglass blade was rated OFF- decades ago, now with the plastic ball it's merely an ALL+. Also there are 5 ply wood blades that are ridiculously fast like the Butterfly Mazunov, rated faster than innerforce ALC or inner ZLC carbon blades 7 ply !

+1 for the Clipper, I've used a handfull of them decades ago and as you I had played for 2 or 3 years before, you can't never go wrong with those blades ;-) it will be a loopkill machine with boosted H3 blue sponge for sure !

Last edited:
I'd like to caution You a little bit about Your serves. Instead of holding the ball upside down before the serve put it in Your open palm first. I can see some umpires having problems with this. I myself get lots of remarks that my throw is not high enough...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
The only advice I'd give you: as a penhold player you mostly plays like Felix Lebrun, with many BH 3rd ball attack, but I think it's because you don't trust your pivot FH enough. The way you do your quick serve allows for pivot FH loopkill because 90% of the time agaianst right hand players the ball will come back to your BH side, stay here with your pivot FH and kill it !!! 😎

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Music&Ping;344739 said:
The only advice I'd give you: as a penhold player you mostly plays like Felix Lebrun, with many BH 3rd ball attack, but I think it's because you don't trust your pivot FH enough. The way you do your quick serve allows for pivot FH loopkill because 90% of the time agaianst right hand players the ball will come back to your BH side, stay here with your pivot FH and kill it !!! 😎
Yeah I know I was thinking about that but sometimes when I pivot one block down the line finishes me I try to stay closer to the table and counter maybe when I train my pivot more I would be able to do it with more quality so it cant be blocked so easy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think that if you change to a blade that is much faster you proably will win more points but i believe your developement will be not as good as with a slower blade. I think you thinking correctly when you are thinking about trying a faster 5-ply. Extra offenisve like someone said is proably one of the more affordable blades and you can use it like forever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
You don't want a blade so fast that it makes up for your technique, which could surely be improved.
That's why advice against a Clipper or something like that.

Reactions: MK73
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
You don't want a blade so fast that it makes up for your technique, which could surely be improved.
That's why advice against a Clipper or something like that.
I agree but you sayd yasaka extra offensive is a good upgrade when I read reviews they are around the same speed extra offensive is even harder maybe because of the top ply doesn't that make it harder to use?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
In my opinion Clipper is faster and stiffer and harder to play with. Reviews are of course very subjective...

YEO was a blade which was played a lot when the celluloid balls were in use. So the reviews from back then make it appear faster than it is by today's standards with today's plastic balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
In my opinion Clipper is faster and stiffer and harder to play with. Reviews are of course very subjective...

YEO was a blade which was played a lot when the celluloid balls were in use. So the reviews from back then make it appear faster than it is by today's standards with today's plastic balls.
No: here are the numbers based on
47 reviews for the Clipper
https://revspin.net/blade/stiga-clipper.html

80 reviews for the YMLEO
https://revspin.net/blade/yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive.html
Good luck finding a significant difference between those 2 blades, each were used by top chinese PH players with more or less the same skills, during more or less the same era.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
I agree but you sayd yasaka extra offensive is a good upgrade when I read reviews they are around the same speed extra offensive is even harder maybe because of the top ply doesn't that make it harder to use?

YEO is faster than Korbel, Primorac off- and so on but slower than thicker 7-plies like Clipper and Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition. A 5-ply that is as fast as a 7-ply is Yasaka Goiabao 5. That's actually Yasakas new 40+ version of the YEO.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Music&Ping;344763 said:
No: here are the numbers based on
47 reviews for the Clipper
https://revspin.net/blade/stiga-clipper.html

80 reviews for the YMLEO
https://revspin.net/blade/yasaka-ma-lin-extra-offensive.html
Good luck finding a significant difference between those 2 blades, each were used by top chinese PH players with more or less the same skills, during more or less the same era.

yeah good luck with revspin... most people don't have a clue about equipment and just post anything there...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have played with Clipper and now Goiabao 5 like someone mention above. I have also tried some balls with Extra Offensive since several friends play with it. Feel like Clipper is for sure the fastest then Goiabao and last Extra Offensive. I also feel that Goibao have a much harder feel compared to Clipper and Extra Offensive. I think Clipper is to fast for your current level. Will develop better with one of the other. Think Extra offensive would be best of these alternatives. Very good price too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I have played with Clipper and now Goiabao 5 like someone mention above. I have also tried some balls with Extra Offensive since several friends play with it. Feel like Clipper is for sure the fastest then Goiabao and last Extra Offensive. I also feel that Goibao have a much harder feel compared to Clipper and Extra Offensive. I think Clipper is to fast for your current level. Will develop better with one of the other. Think Extra offensive would be best of these alternatives. Very good price too.

What do you think about stiga infinity vps has kinda the same characteristics as Extra Offensive.