Is ma long the GOAT ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I live with it everyday seeing as my lower back is very bent. I can put my whole fist in the cavity just above the lower back. I'm flatfooted and have very narrow feet. I've had patello femoral pain syndrome for 3 years but rehabbed it away. Also plantar faciitis for over 2 years. Hips that ache every day, working out to get rid of it. Will that stop me? No. Any more questions? I go to the gym 5 times a week so pardon me if I don't think ZJK has done all he can to get back in shape :)

Ever played with a lower back injury, which is the predominant injury that Zhang Jike had?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Not at all. I think that pain is terrible. Like I said I've had it since september 2018, pain is still there. But I think professional athletes are never 100% injury free, it comes with the job. The wear and tear can't be avoided.

Haha .. ofcourse you can play but no one can play with shoulder injury or lower back injury that well in CNT level . Come on man haha I'm sure if ma long had shoulder injury the story were different and it was the toughest injury in the world .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I said you can disagree but you have to listen to alternative thoughts. 2 instead of 3 CNT players to attend OG, 5 instead of 7 CNT players to attend WTTC, also means MORE pressure not losing to non-CNT players when you are the only CNT player in that half. And pressure can do what? Look at XX in 2019 WTTC.
And the winner of WTTC or OG does not meet EVERY top players no matter from CNT or not CNT because it is NOT round-robin system. You win at least 7 matches to win WTTC. You don't beat #1-7 seed to win WTTC, right?

Of course I have listened to alternative thoughts. Have you? You can't act like your way is the only way. And remember that your way doesn't impact the field for other countries, which mine does. The field is still the field as a stronger field can find it easier to eliminate a problem opponent. Pressure of losing to non-CNT is not a measure of the strength of the opponent. It is not about meeting every top player but the ability of the field to pose problems for top seeds.

And even the CNT pressure was not from number of players but no mandatory separation by association, another change which has made it easier for top players from the same country to eliminate each other in earlier rounds.

In any case I have heard you. I still think 7 players per top countries is a more competitive field than 5. But just as you have your opinion I have mine. Your opinion is informed and so is mine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I live with it everyday seeing as my lower back is very bent. I can put my whole fist in the cavity just above the lower back. I'm flatfooted and have very narrow feet. I've had patello femoral pain syndrome for 3 years but rehabbed it away. Also plantar faciitis for over 2 years. Hips that ache every day, working out to get rid of it. Will that stop me? No. Any more questions? I go to the gym 5 times a week so pardon me if I don't think ZJK has done all he can to get back in shape :)

So why you think he hasnt done enough ? Its a personal view with no supporting reason . And I wanna talk like you I say : I think ma long is still using alcohol after training every day and will be an addicted person . You see ;) A small part of your logic with no reason just a personal view . Personal view is useless you know . You can find many videos of his physical trainings and how hard he tried to get a ticket to olympic even if he was half jike

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Well what about you? You claimed that ML said he lost to Wang Hao because of technique not because of mentality. Have you corrected yourself since Zeio has quoted otherwise?

Everyone makes mistakes. But some people own up to them.
ML said in an earlier interview with Stiga (2016 Sep) that when he succeeds, people say he is mentally strong; when he fails, people say he is mentally weak. He does not think he is gaining mental strength when he wins. He just does what he has to.

Let me found if there is a subbed version on Youtube.

You can blame ML for not being consistent in interviews? Or blame people who don't show all the interviews?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

The kind of back pain ZJK had has ended TT players careers. That is all I am going to say about it. He could probably have taken more time off with better medical advice but no one really knows how to treat these things in the context of high level sports performance so he was probably advised to play while he could because no one had a true solution - it is also said he had a birth defect that made the issue unending. If you hurt your back you become a different person. But if you think this is the same as niggling injuries, go ahead. Those of us who saw the difference in ZJK's movement over the years knew it was degenerative.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
ML said in an earlier interview with Stiga (2016 Sep) that when he succeeds, people say he is mentally strong; when he fails, people say he is mentally weak. He does not think he is gaining mental strength when he wins. He just does what he has to.

Let me found if there is a subbed version on Youtube.

You can blame ML for not being consistent in interviews? Or blame people who don't show all the interviews?

You can blame people who like to act as if there is only one truth and the people they are talking to are stupid.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
List who are the 7 players CNT sent to each WTTC before 2015 and then we talk.
Or make it simpler, list 8 quaterfinalists when 7 CNT players attended and COUNT how many were CNT players (Wiki has all info).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
A lot of guessing going on in your post. I don't guess. I know one can get better. I'm almost 46 years old but move like a much younger guy because I've put in the hours. ZJK is not hungry so he gave up.

The kind of back pain ZJK had has ended TT players careers. That is all I am going to say about it. He could probably have taken more time off with better medical advice but no one really knows how to treat these things in the context of high level sports performance so he was probably advised to play while he could because no one had a true solution - it is also said he had a birth defect that made the issue unending. If you hurt your back you become a different person. But if you think this is the same as niggling injuries, go ahead. Those of us who saw the difference in ZJK's movement over the years knew it was degenerative.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A lot of guessing going on in your post. I don't guess. I know one can get better. I'm almost 46 years old but move like a much younger guy because I've put in the hours. ZJK is not hungry so he gave up.

A lot of guessing in your opinion too. The birth defects and lower back injuries of ZJK are on record. You don't know the severity of an athlete's injuries or what he can do to treat them. I am basing my experience on having congenital knee and spinal defects and knowing how rhet ha e hurt my life style. In the end we are all limited by our perspectives. Only that some of us pretend their perspectives are more correct than others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I also know about settling.

A lot of guessing in your opinion too. The birth defects and lower back injuries of ZJK are on record. You don't know the severity of an athlete's injuries or what he can do to treat them. I am basing my experience on having congenital knee and spinal defects and knowing how rhet ha e hurt my life style. In the end we are all limited by our perspectives. Only that some of us pretend their perspectives are more correct than others.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hasn't Ma Lin have fatigue fracture on his back?
"I never heard MLin whined about his injury so he is NOT injured."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
"WTTC with 7 CNT players were more competitive!"

2003 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 4 in QF (others Austria *2, Greece, Korea), 1 in SF (others Austria, Greece, Korea)
2005 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 5 in QF (others Sweden, Korea, Denmark), 2 in SF (others Korea, Denmark)
2007 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 4 in QF (others Belarus, Korea *2, Germany), 3 in SF (the other Korea)
2009 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 5 in QF (others Japan, Denmark, Korea), 4 in SF
2011 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 6 in QF (others Japan, Germany), 3 in SF (the other Germany)
2013 WTTC, 7 CNT players attended, 5 in QF (others Japan, Germany *2), 4 in SF
2015 WTTC, 6 CNT players attended, 4 in QF (others Hong Kong, Germany *2, Japan), 4 in SF
2017 WTTC, 5 CNT players attended, 3 in QF (others Germany, Japan *2, Korea, Hong Kong), 3 in SF (the other Korea)
2019 WTTC, 5 CNT players attended, 3 in QF (others Japan, Korea *2, Sweden, France), 2 in SF (others Korea, Sweden)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews

Ok let Ma long's biased fans live with ma long being a G.O.A.T but Dragon is better for him :D Also about zhang jike's injury every one who seriously follow table tennis with no biased view know easily How serious Zjk's injury was and how LGL was worried about this. . I m sure LGL get concern about SERIOUS INJURY . Have a nice day or night

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
There are many ways of measuring the quality of a field. You are using one but there are others. Can you compare a field in which the top 7 Chinese players can make WTTC with a field where only the top 5? Same for Germany or Sweden? Japan and Korea? Lim Jonghoon couldn't play this year for Korea. We saw what An Jaehyun did and he is the Korean #5.
How many people are still enraged that Hayata failed to make the lineup? Imagine how much extra work the CNT would have to go through had Hayata been there, in addition to watching out for Ito? Imagine how LSW would've felt?

Reactions: NextLevel