Backhand rubber for beginner, nittaku acoustic.

This user has no status.
Hello. I'm a beginner. My backhand is bad, I've still got a lot of work to do on it, especially loops.
I own a nittaku acoustic as my first blade with Rakza 7 2.0mm on FH and Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on BH.
I like the Rakza 7 on FH, feels like a solid rubber, but the rakza 7 soft on BH, while it's okay,to me it feels weird, because of the softness. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels as if the ball sinks into the rubber, then takes a little long to fly off.
Should I be looking into getting a harder rubber instead? If so, what are some good BH rubbers to pair with the acoustic(at my level)?

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
What happens if you flip your bat and play backhands with the R7 regular? You don't have to use two different rubbers, R7 both sides could be fine.

This user has no status.
maybe a Nittaku Factive or a Vega Intro. Gl in your search.
The Factive looks interesting, good reviews as a bh rubber. I see people saying it lacks a bit of power. Would you be able to compare it to rakza 7 soft? (or even the rakza 7, since I can directly compare r7 to r7s)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What happens if you flip your bat and play backhands with the R7 regular? You don't have to use two different rubbers, R7 both sides could be fine.

I will have to try that. I've tried it in a practice game, but it was so awkward switching around that I quickly gave up and didn't even think of trying it again in regular practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
I think that your setup is quite nice and allround. I think that you need to practice a lot before changing these rubbers. They might be a notch too fast and bouncy for a first bat but with the 2.0mm sponge, still ok. Practice the technique and footwork and give that a year before starting to change setup. After that time you will be more aware of what you like or lack in this setup.

Reactions: alas26
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If you think the soft rubbers feel weird, then harder rubbers are more suitable for you. Don't let outdated ideas from people who don't realize the game has changed due to the plastic balls give you bad advice. I'd go with a medium hard rubber like the Fastarc G1 or even what you are using for your forehand currently if you like how they feel in your backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Hello. I'm a beginner. My backhand is bad, I've still got a lot of work to do on it, especially loops.
I own a nittaku acoustic as my first blade with Rakza 7 2.0mm on FH and Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm on BH.
I like the Rakza 7 on FH, feels like a solid rubber, but the rakza 7 soft on BH, while it's okay,to me it feels weird, because of the softness. I don't know how to explain it, but it feels as if the ball sinks into the rubber, then takes a little long to fly off.
Should I be looking into getting a harder rubber instead? If so, what are some good BH rubbers to pair with the acoustic(at my level)?

I recommend you save some money if you're a beginner. Try Moon Speed or AK47. They only cost $13, and are 98% similar to Vega, which is often recommended to beginners.

This user has no status.

I recommend you save some money if you're a beginner. Try Moon Speed or AK47. They only cost $13, and are 98% similar to Vega, which is often recommended to beginners.

Moon speed seems to be another soft rubber. I don't see a reason to change from rakza 7 soft to it.
The ak47 with yellow sponge may be an alternative. I'll look into it.

This user has no status.
If you are a beginner start using a 5 ply good all round blade like Stiga ARC or similar.

The Acoustic is a 5 ply wood blade, not ALL, but I don't think it's that much faster than the violin which was my first choice, but not in stock sadly. I already own the Acoustic, so buying another 5 ply seems like a waste of money.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
If you think the soft rubbers feel weird, then harder rubbers are more suitable for you. Don't let outdated ideas from people who don't realize the game has changed due to the plastic balls give you bad advice. I'd go with a medium hard rubber like the Fastarc G1 or even what you are using for your forehand currently if you like how they feel in your backhand.

I'll test the fh rubber on some bh practice tomorrow and see if I like it or if it's too fast. I could potentially get a r7 in 1.8mm sponge if I like the feel.

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
I think that your setup is quite nice and allround. I think that you need to practice a lot before changing these rubbers. They might be a notch too fast and bouncy for a first bat but with the 2.0mm sponge, still ok. Practice the technique and footwork and give that a year before starting to change setup. After that time you will be more aware of what you like or lack in this setup.

I don't doubt it's more or less appropriate for my level. I'm just exploring alternatives, since my choice of bh rubber feels a bit odd. It may be me, or it may just be the rubber, I'll know when I test a bit more I suppose, but your point is valid.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Moon speed seems to be another soft rubber. I don't see a reason to change from rakza 7 soft to it.
The ak47 with yellow sponge may be an alternative. I'll look into it.

Moon speed comes in hardness choice of soft, medium, hard. Medium is definitely harder than rakza 7 soft.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

The Acoustic is a 5 ply wood blade, not ALL, but I don't think it's that much faster than the violin which was my first choice, but not in stock sadly. I already own the Acoustic, so buying another 5 ply seems like a waste of money.

Isn't all round, it seems you prefer to waste your time.

How much weights the Acoustic?

This user has no status.
the Rakza 7 is more on the tackier side,the Factive is a solid Entry Level tensor with grip.
Can´t compare to the Rakza 7 soft sry.
It is a solid rubber not spiking in Speed or Spin department,so you can´t generate as much spin as with a Rakza 7 (in my opinion) but on the other hand you ar not as sensitive to incoming spin.
It has its strengths in pressing and counterpunch/block but can also be played quite steady on BH loops etc.
If you play far away from the table you have to apply more force or frontal impact instead of tangential force to lift the ball up.
Talking about the Factive,G1 is also quite popular but also somewhat more demanding,so i always thought of the Factive as a rubber to start then switch to the Fastarc series.
Gl on your Journey,other options are also viable and probably more budget friendly,altough i have to say the Factive lasts a long time for a a reasonable amount.

This user has no status.
the Rakza 7 is more on the tackier side,the Factive is a solid Entry Level tensor with grip.
Can´t compare to the Rakza 7 soft sry.
It is a solid rubber not spiking in Speed or Spin department,so you can´t generate as much spin as with a Rakza 7 (in my opinion) but on the other hand you ar not as sensitive to incoming spin.
It has its strengths in pressing and counterpunch/block but can also be played quite steady on BH loops etc.
If you play far away from the table you have to apply more force or frontal impact instead of tangential force to lift the ball up.
Talking about the Factive,G1 is also quite popular but also somewhat more demanding,so i always thought of the Factive as a rubber to start then switch to the Fastarc series.
Gl on your Journey,other options are also viable and probably more budget friendly,altough i have to say the Factive lasts a long time for a a reasonable amount.

If I changed my FH to 1.8 G1, would that be about as fast as the 2.0 R7? (not considering changing it, but I want to use that as a kind of benchmark to understand G1)

Last edited: