Blade and rubber recommendations for intermediate player

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
I feel as though i’m growing out of my palio legend 2 and i’m wondering blade and rubbers to buy. I would say im more of an offensive player, i also have pretty good blocks. I guess overall im looking for high speed, medium to high spin and medium to high control. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Look at Palio TCT blade, and Palio AK47 (Blue and/or Red) Rubbers...

Another option could be one of the Yinhe T-series (ranging from t-1 to t-11) blades .. Yinhe Big Dipper Rubbers could be another option

DHS Hurricane 301 is a more expensive option, but a fantastic, value of money carbon blade..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I say keep the blade and just get some new rubbers for it. Acuda S2 is on offer at TableTennis11 at the moment, that was the rubber I used on both forehand and backhand after about 3 years of learning and it definitely helped me gain more confidence.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Xiom Offensive S + decent rubbers. I suggest sticking with all-wood construction. I prefer 7-plies, most people here will recommend 5ply blades though.

From blades I owned and used I can recommend Donic Dyjas Ultrapower. Really easy to handle blade.

From blades people say that are good, Xiom Offensive S is suppose to be best value for money blade, it is 5 ply offensive blade with supposed truck ton of feeling. Otherwise you can get Victas / TSP Swat, it also is not expensive, and it is most common bought blade in Japan for some reason.

When it comes to rubbers I would stick to something that is not a rocket ship. I would not get Tenergy, Gewo El Pro above 48, etc. From rubbers I owned and used I can recommend Xiom Omega V Tour and Vega X on FH and Victas V01 Stiff for BH. Yinhe Moon works quite well on BH too.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I feel as though i’m growing out of my palio legend 2 and i’m wondering blade and rubbers to buy. I would say im more of an offensive player, i also have pretty good blocks. I guess overall im looking for high speed, medium to high spin and medium to high control. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, would really like to help, but you need to give us a bit more background info if we are to give you good and cohesive recommendations. Otherwise, you're just going to get a wide range of people's favorites here and there of equipment that may either be too slow for you at this point of your TT journey or way too fast.

First things first, how long have you been playing? Have you been playing at a club, getting lessons from a coach... or just playing at home or work? Can you topspin versus topspin on both forehand and backhand, can you topspin (heavy) backspin from both wings, can you flip from both wings? How are you looking to improve? What's your budget for a new setup?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hey, would really like to help, but you need to give us a bit more background info if we are to give you good and cohesive recommendations. Otherwise, you're just going to get a wide range of people's favorites here and there of equipment that may either be too slow for you at this point of your TT journey or way too fast.

First things first, how long have you been playing? Have you been playing at a club, getting lessons from a coach... or just playing at home or work? Can you topspin versus topspin on both forehand and backhand, can you topspin (heavy) backspin from both wings, can you flip from both wings? How are you looking to improve? What's your budget for a new setup?

I’ve been playing for around 1 year. For the past 3 month’s I’ve been taking lessons on basics from a professional. I can topspin heavy backspin from both wings and i can flip from both wings but my flips are still quite inconsistent. I still haven’t reached the point where i can topspin topspin rally confidently. My budget is around 150 cad maximum.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
I’ve been playing for around 1 year. For the past 3 month’s I’ve been taking lessons on basics from a professional. I can topspin heavy backspin from both wings and i can flip from both wings but my flips are still quite inconsistent. I still haven’t reached the point where i can topspin topspin rally confidently. My budget is around 150 cad maximum.
Then you're still at begginer level. Don't go for fast equipment, try something for control. After 2 years of experiments, I've switched back to Kokutaku 868 on both sides and my game is improving consistently.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Ok thanks, that gives us a much clearer picture. You're still a beginner but you're committed to improving by investing time and resources including professional coaching.

What does your coach recommend in terms of equipment for you? Not all professional coaches necessarily know a lot about equipment other than what they've used, which is often too fast for their students, but some do. But it'd be good to ask him/her either way.

You say you can topspin heavy backspin from both wings, but can't quite do topspin to topspin rallies. I find that a bit odd since it's much easier to do topspin rallies than it is to lift heavy backspin, often people can do the former and not the latter at least with much ease... Regardless, the fact that you can do some of the things you described as a beginner and after less than a year of playing and after only 3 months of coaching is good and promising. Are you comfortable performing these strokes in a game when things are not set up (unlike exercises with your coach), under match pressure where everything is much faster, random and unexpected, where you are often out of position, and against different playing styles and levels?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
So, after 2 years, I'm still seeing myself at beginner level, while my game is improving a lot. It's also even more difficult as a penholder, as everyone is looking a bit strange at my grip, 100% amateur, so no particular training excepting training games with my pals.

In the past I have changed blades and rubbers, carbon and allwood blades, tensor rubbers and chinese rubbers, but the most comfortable I feel with the junkie Kokutaku 868 + an allwood cheap blade(Boer) which are fast and strong as fast & strong you hit, but almost every short game hit such as backhand flicks or fast attacks go on the table, not to mention the counterloops and counterhits.

So, as amateur players, what we really need is consistency, putting the ball back on the table as much as we can, than means gaining confidence for even better shots.

Here I put some images from Saturday

- https://youtu.be/dT7lcWpG0TY
- https://youtu.be/MK3zr86H660
- https://youtu.be/HgQrlG-g4v0

A sheet of Kokutaku 868 is less than 10USD.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
So, after 2 years, I'm still seeing myself at beginner level, while my game is improving a lot. It's also even more difficult as a penholder, as everyone is looking a bit strange at my grip, 100% amateur, so no particular training excepting training games with my pals.

In the past I have changed blades and rubbers, carbon and allwood blades, tensor rubbers and chinese rubbers, but the most comfortable I feel with the junkie Kokutaku 868 + an allwood cheap blade(Boer) which are fast and strong as fast & strong you hit, but almost every short game hit such as backhand flicks or fast attacks go on the table, not to mention the counterloops and counterhits.

So, as amateur players, what we really need is consistency, putting the ball back on the table as much as we can, than means gaining confidence for even better shots.

That's good valuable info.

After 2 years playing and training consistently at a high level club and getting lessons from a coach, I still considered myself a beginner or low intermediate.

Several year later now I just consider myself mid intermediate.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It pretty much doesn't matter. A decent all wood blade that is comfortable in your hand and some mid-level inverted rubber. Something like Yogi's suggestion. And don't change after that. Learn to play with one setup. The details don't matter. What matters now is yiur hands, eyes and feet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020

A bit strange but your backhand looks spinnier than your forehand. It’s just video so apparently I’m not 100% sure. Probably that’s why you feel like you want something more powerful. You win a lot of points on backhand simply with spin. (Either directly or indirectly by setting up the kills)

Forget about the equipments. Make your forehand a bit more compact and take the “brushy” feel you have on backhand to your forehand.

Another thing is there is no short game in your videos. Most the serves were long. If your techniques or your partner techniques are good enough, you should kill most of them. When the serves were long backspin, your partner “touches” it back so it’s not very heavy. Probably better to learn how to deal with very heavy backspin balls and short balls first. A faster bat won’t help. Dealing with these variations will force you to be more precise with the contact, which in turn will make your stroke more compact.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
A bit strange but your backhand looks spinnier than your forehand. It’s just video so apparently I’m not 100% sure. Probably that’s why you feel like you want something more powerful. You win a lot of points on backhand simply with spin. (Either directly or indirectly by setting up the kills)

Forget about the equipments. Make your forehand a bit more compact and take the “brushy” feel you have on backhand to your forehand.

Another thing is there is no short game in your videos. Most the serves were long. If your techniques or your partner techniques are good enough, you should kill most of them. When the serves were long backspin, your partner “touches” it back so it’s not very heavy. Probably better to learn how to deal with very heavy backspin balls and short balls first. A faster bat won’t help. Dealing with these variations will force you to be more precise with the contact, which in turn will make your stroke more compact.
Yup, my forehand is more drive oriented.