Best blade for ambitioned hobby players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Hi guys,

I started playing table tennis about two years ago but only with my brother and friends in my garage. I think I‘m a pretty „good“ hobby player and have been thinking about making the next step and join a club. For that I want to buy a new blade and rubbers.
About my style: since I learned playing by myself and not by a coach, I don’t have a perfect technique, yet play quite fast and solid. Mostly Topspin and chops and I offen go for „hard“ winning shots.
I played the Tibhar Powercarbon XT blade for the last years and did absolutely fine with that.
I‘d prefer a donic blade, because I love Waldner (it‘s silly, I know :D) and they are not as expensive as others. Also I‘d like to get more control, because I make to many mistakes when under pressure.
Do you have any tips for me?
If you need more information let me know, I‘m thankful for any response.

Best wishes from germany, stay safe :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Thank you very much, lasta. Is the blade good for controll as well? I do make to many mistakes since my brother is getting better and I take more risks lately ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yes, the Donic PPP has great control, above average in terms of linear response. A thin but still fairly solid feeling blade in the OFF- range. Blade is not particularly fast, but also not boxy and flimsy like those 5 ply blades that most people recommend to beginners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
Thanks to all of you for the great help! I really appreciate it! I have heard interesting things about the xiom vega europe rubbers for controll. Would any of you recommend them for a beginner or intermediate?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thanks to all of you for the great help! I really appreciate it! I have heard interesting things about the xiom vega europe rubbers for controll. Would any of you recommend them for a beginner or intermediate?

Very good rubber, I have played with it and I like it. It has some speed, but it is still very controlable.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is funny how often people are willing to give equipment suggestions with almost no information about the person wanting the information.

Is there any chance you can post video footage of you playing. It would only need to be approx 15-30 seconds of play and all it would need is about 3 FHs and 3 BHs. From that, we could have an idea of equipment that might be useful to you. Without that, the recommendations are arbitrary. They still might be fine. But nobody can actually tell.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2 is one possibility. It is a light allround blade with good feedback. You can pair it with Xiom Vega Europe if you want to.

Notice that this is a pretty light allround blade with good feedback and vibration. Some people prefer heavier blades with less vibration. I guess I fall into the last category.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2020
It is funny how often people are willing to give equipment suggestions with almost no information about the person wanting the information.

Is there any chance you can post video footage of you playing. It would only need to be approx 15-30 seconds of play and all it would need is about 3 FHs and 3 BHs. From that, we could have an idea of equipment that might be useful to you. Without that, the recommendations are arbitrary. They still might be fine. But nobody can actually tell.

I definetly see your point UpSideDownCarl, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to get a short clip done on the weekend, when I'm home and post it here! Thx so much :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I definetly see your point UpSideDownCarl, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to get a short clip done on the weekend, when I'm home and post it here! Thx so much :)

In theory, all the blades recommended so far are good. The Persson Power Play is a moderately fast blade; probably a little too fast for someone who has not used top of the line TT equipment but not by much. The Appelgren Allplay is an excellent blade and perhaps a bit more conservative when it comes to speed, perhaps too conservative. :)

If you are on a budget and want something quite a bit less expensive than the major TT brands, there are always Chinese companies that make similar equipment at a much lower price for both blades and rubbers.

An example, Persson PowerPlay is about $50.00 USD. Appelgren Allplay is about $30.00 USD. Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade is about $16.00 USD. It is not as good as the other two. The speed is faster than Allplay slower than PowerPlay, not as good finish as either, but almost as good if you sand the edges on the wings for half to one third the price depending on the blade. :)

Rubbers, you can do the same with. There are lots of good Chinese rubbers that are $20.00 or less per sheet. A European or Japanese rubber that will be good for you will likely be about $40.00 per sheet.

This user has no status.
Hi Niklas, as we have no idea about how you really play and you want to join a club, the best you can do is looking where is the nearest club and looking when you can go there. Apart playing with someone there( trainer or other) they have usually some bats for beginner/intermediate you could test. They will help you a lot as they 'll be able to see your play, your strongness and weakness. IMO it's it better than purchasing a bat which will maybe not be the best for you.
Regards

Reactions: cytivrat