Tenergy... substitute for my Z2?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Yes, I buy a red one, then a black one, so colours do chance. After every change the colour on each side changes. Requirement is that you use the same rubber for backhand and forehand. I have had good experience with Joola Rhyzm. I also think the harder the rubber is, the more durable it is, in general

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
By this reasoning, I count three replacement for three pairs. If you don’t count the first one that leaves just two. Not a very solid way to do the basic arithmetic, really, but that’s fine and dandy with me.

You are just following a different ("wrong") line of reasoning. I suggest you read posts #17 and #18 (and #15 (mine) as well again)...
If someone for example states, that he needs three pairs of rubbers per year, it is imperative to make a "cut" somewhere in order to know when to start counting (you could make that "cut" at the end of the season or at the end of the calendar year or at any given time; you just need to know when you had made that "cut")!
For players who play/ practice all year round: At the beginning of the season (or calendar year) the first pair of rubbers are the, let's say, "originals" and replace therefore "nothing" (of course you had worn out rubbers on the blade, but as I said, it is necessary to make that "cut" somewhere in order to know when to start counting). So when the "original" rubbers are worn out, they will be replaced for the first time with the second set of rubbers, and when the second set of rubbers are worn out, they will be replaced with the third set of rubbers. Therefore the "original" rubbers from the beginning of the season (or calendar year) were replaced twice, while at the same time you have the third pair of rubbers (of that year) on your blade.
Even though that was a rather long post, I'm fairly confident to say, that the majority of the people are able to follow that line of reasoning and agree with it. If you don't however, well, than that's fine and very dandy for me, too.
By the way: It is quite useful being able to distinguish between plain counting and replacing things...

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Mathematician here, so indeed, I don’t consider counting easy or a given.

Many ways to do it, and I confess I am a rather limited human. Nevertheless, your reasoning away the first rubber replacement, that provides your year’s counting starting point as if it were an act of god, some sort of immaculate blade conception, I do find baffling. Good sir, I toast to the strenght of your faith!

Hey, fellows :)
There is nothing to argue about, please.

I often go confused when somebody ask me "how many months you play with a rubber set".
This question triggers many other questions as "how often you play, how long are your sessions, what is your style, etc."
Then they continue with "no,no, just me tell how often you change rubbers, how many times per year".
And now I have to come back to the initial question - "how many months you play with a set of rubbers?"
So - don't think of years, think of periods, calculated in months, weeks, and most accurate - in hrs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Mathematician here, so indeed, I don’t consider counting easy or a given.

Many ways to do it, and I confess I am a rather limited human. Nevertheless, your reasoning away the first rubber replacement, that provides your year’s counting starting point as if it were an act of god, some sort of immaculate blade conception, I do find baffling. Good sir, I toast to the strenght of your faith!

LOL. This is getting really funny. :):):) Besides being agnostic I also find it somewhat baffling that we don't seem to get on the same denominator. When I first read through the thread and read Airoc's comment that his dealer recommends replacing the rubbers twice a year, i.e. using three pairs, I immediatley knew how that was meant, an langel obviously, too. The more confused was I when I read your response to Airoc.
I'll try it with a different example (the rules regarding counting the number of rubber pairs and the number of replacements remain the same however!): Say a friend of mine asks, if he could join our local tt-club and I reply yes and ask him if he has a racket. He answers no, to what I reply "No problem. Come to the club in early January and you can have one of my backup-blades and some rubbers." So he comes to the club and I glue two rubbers onto the blade (i.e. first pair of rubbers = no replacement yet since this is his very first racket). After a few months (say in April) he tells me that he feels that the racket is too fast/ too slow for him and asks for different rubbers. So I slap some other rubbers on the blade (i. e. first replacement = second pair of rubbers). After yet another few months (say sometime in November) he tells me that he feels the rubbers (the second pair) are not grippy enough any longer. So I slap yet another set of rubbers on the blade (i. e. second replacement = third pair of rubbers). That's what I meant when saying one has to distinguish between counting the number of rubber sets and the number of replacements being made. It's obviousley not the same...
Anyway, even though this little chit chat is kinda funny, I fear this becomes way too off-topic...

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Let me explain with other words.
Suppose you change rubbers twice per year - i.e. on every six months.
After 100 years minus 1 hour you will have 199 sets in the basket and one on the blade, but not 299 in the basket.

Exactly. So why the three pairs, every year?

My second question is ... is it a good idea to have a second combination of rubbers (probably cheaper) while I play in the sun? If so, which one would you recommend me (preferably not DHS-type rubbers and that you can buy on TT11.com)?

The direct sun is not good for any rubber.
Besides that I think that playing with different setups is not very good for development, unless you know exactly what you need from a given setup to help your progress.
Anyway for a cheaper rubber I would recommend Galaxy Moon /non tacky euro style version/.
But I don't see it on TT11.

Looking on every single calendar year you will have 1 replacemenet less than the number of sets you are playing with during the same calendar year, never mind how many changes you will make. Suppose you start the year with Donic /glued the year before/, replace with Tibhar, replace with Xiom and end the year with it. So during the calendar year you have played with 3 different sets, and you have 2 replacements. If you make 11 peplacements you will be playing with 12 sets during the calendar year.
This is the "calendar mess".
Number of sets per year is not informative for how long you have played with every different set, so it is much better to calculate hrs, weeks and months.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017

Why three pairs? Because if the statement is, that one needs to replace his rubbers twice a year, it means that three pairs of rubbers are needed over the course of that year.
It is necassary to know that we are talking about a specific time frame or cycle (one year/ 365 days in our case). One needs to know when that cycle starts and when it ends, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make a statement like that. It could start on January 1st and end on December 31st, but it could start and end at any given points of that 365-day-span, say September 3rd 2017 - September 2nd 2018.
That cycle starts with the first pair of rubbers and not with the replacement process of that first pair of that cycle. That would be part of the old cycle (at least in my book). So that first pair is the starting/ reference point from when you start counting (both the number of rubber pairs and the number of replacements being made!) and ends shortly (one day, one minute, one second - you name it) before you glue the first pair of the following cycle onto your blade.
If the first pair is replaced twice within that one-year-cycle, we have the following equation:

1 + 1 + 1 = 3

1st pair + 1st repl.(2nd pair) + 2nd repl.(3rd pair) = 3 pairs per year

If you count the replacement of the first pair into it, yoass, you are actually counting backwards into the old cycle and therefore "violate" the time frame/ cycle we are talking about.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Looking on every single calendar year you will have 1 replacemenet less than the number of sets you are playing with during the same calendar year, never mind how many changes you will make. Suppose you start the year with Donic /glued the year before/, replace with Tibhar, replace with Xiom and end the year with it. So during the calendar year you have played with 3 different sets, and you have 2 replacements. If you make 11 peplacements you will be playing with 12 sets during the calendar year.
This is the "calendar mess".
Number of sets per year is not informative for how long you have played with every different set, so it is much better to calculate hrs, weeks and months.

Also a very nice explanation.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
1st pair + 1st repl.(2nd pair) + 2nd repl.(3rd pair) = 3 pairs per year

Which is not "changing rubbers twice a year". If you *do* change rubbers twice a year, you just need two pairs. Every year.

That is the thing with calendrical calculations (yes, that is a name coined for this field; https://www.amazon.com/Calendrical-Calculations-Nachum-Dershowitz/dp/0521702380). You can't just linearize it naively.

But let's leave it at that. Feel free to consider this stupid, insane, or irrelevant hairsplitting; before you know it we'll have to do the equivalent of a full Monty Hall exposé and I don't think we should do that here and now.

Last edited: