Hungarian Open 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Only the best for Ma Long of course :)

Personal DHS rubbers for the chinese players come personally pretuned differently for the person. Besides that /maybe not for everyone and maybe not always/ they are not only pretuned, but somewhat preglued - I've seen Ma Long taking out a sealed sheet of rubber, aplaying very fast something just like to moisten it and immediately fixing it on the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
jawein and Atlas Newton,

I can totally understand a sentiment that the rules may have a possibility of needing to be changed for whatever reasons we feel there is a need. If the arguments are presented in that light, there could be an easy discussion.

The ITTF bylaws have a very well documented procedure to accomplish this.

As for whether we need to change the rules to allow a player to replace a bat in the middle of a match by his choice and judgment for any reason they choose... THINK about [...]

What makes you think he is changing to a racket he isn't accustomed to? These are the kinds of assumptions that surprise me.[...]

Went away for Sunday evening and the topic went viral as far as I can tell.

Der_Echte and Next Level, I'm an EJ (recovering but still ... ) and there were many situations in my "career" when during a match I thought I needed to change the setup, usually for quite a different one, but because of the rule I did not - even though it would probably go unnoticed - sufficient to say, not a "proper" table tennis behavior. And I think the rule is ok.

Maybe Zhou is such an EJ himself and thought, in the middle of his match, he needed more power against Chuang. I'm not denying he might had a bit faster setup ... and he might actually be more effective with it. But once he have chosen it, he should stay with it. Please read my comment carefully this time, and please notice the word 'but' : )

"[...] ... to which I would subscribe but ... TT is a very technical sport, changing the racket affects the ball trajectory and it causes problems for the opponents. Besides, it is for sure Zhou's responsibility to choose the proper blade during the warm-up. He was hitting with it for probably an hour or so before the match ..."

In other words I can understand Atas Newton's arguments but I don't think they are correct all the way. Atas was speaking his mind and I can totally understand it. Besides if this racket changing, was really helpful it would have been much more common 'practice'. I think Zhou even changing the racket would loose anyway - but it would affect Chunag for sure ...

Atas's comment was understandable for me in a sense that, say Zhou was really lousy when choosing the blade during warm-up and it was really under-performing as compared to his usual one. But than again, it is his responsibility and it certainly affects the opponent, so ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Zhou had overboosted rubber, yall should first use Dhs h3 neo boosted with 5 layers, next you will see. The Ball will going down. Your confidence will going down.
Look How he played his bh side and How his tuned Dhs has low throw

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
IIRC, changing paddles during the match used to be legal (not sure if change was allowed only between games). Bringing something like that back might not be an end of the world - assuming all options passed the control, of course.

Might get a bit more variety to the sport :rolleyes: and for sure would make going to your 'B' game much easier. Also, think what it would do to equipment manufacturers bottom line..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
IIRC, changing paddles during the match used to be legal (not sure if change was allowed only between games). Bringing something like that back might not be an end of the world - assuming all options passed the control, of course.

Might get a bit more variety to the sport :rolleyes: and for sure would make going to your 'B' game much easier. Also, think what it would do to equipment manufacturers bottom line..

Yes, there was a time when you could change rackets during the match and at any point in time too. If it wasn't against the rules, then players will adapt to that as well. There are pros and cons to things like this. But it is obvious that changing rackets is not unequivocally to the detriment of the player changing and can sometimes be to his advantage.

This user has no status.
Whether you think changing racket during a match is fair or not, Zhou Yu is definitely disqualified due to his own stupidity. Clearly, CTTA thinks so too. Zhou Yu has been suspended from all competitive events for 3 months, from January 18 to April 18. His coach has been suspended for 1 month as well.

It is said that now Liu Guoliang is back, he aims to strictly punish any unsportsmanlike behaviors from CNT members. Fang Bo was recently fined for his bad behavior during a match in CSL. He kicked the towel box after he thought the referee made a bad call.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Samsonov WR points

so Samsonov will get a lot of free points for his ranking LOL soon back in TOP10 !

It is interesting for me how much world ranking points Samsonov will receive after Hungarian Open? 540 or 900?

He was seeded player, played only one game and lost in Quarter-finals.

If we check ITTF World-Ranking-description-2019 its look like 900 because in

3.10.4. Any seeded player progressing in the draw to the second round without winning a match then loses shall receive the loser's points of the first round.
only the second round is mentioned.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi