Rule Approved! New colour rubbers as of 2020!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Yes the whole situation is very complex.However I suspect it will result in greater profits for the manufacturers but not the retailers who will have,as you describe above, a logistical nightmare.As for the players?Who cares about the players?

That's about right, except the large retailers will benefit while the smaller will perish.

It may create some great sales for the consumer from overstocks of certain colors.

This user has no status.
That's about right, except the large retailers will benefit while the smaller will perish.

It may create some great sales for the consumer from overstocks of certain colors.
Sales. Could be good especially in weird colours.Will be very interesting to see how identical rubbers in different colours vary. How will heat and light influence performance?
what was outcome re yellow ball?i saw some of the very poor debate but missed the vote sadly.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
This rule change is just unnecessary, there is nothing wrong with just black and red. I hope at least that each type of rubber will come in black and only one other color, rather than each come in a array of colors. Again this is really stupid and I can see the manufacturers and larger stores profiting from this and the small stores hurting, and also the players not benefiting from all the confusion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony is assuming the worst with this - that manufacturers will produce the same rubber model in multiple different colours. Which may happen, but it may not. They currently have the ability to do this with sponge colour (Xiom could make Vega Pro with sponge colours other than black, for example), but choose not to. Topsheets could go the same way with manufacturers selecting a specific, single bright colour option for each model, rather than each model using every colour. I'm sure that the manufacturers will understand the possible inventory pain to retailers this could cause, so perhaps they will be sensitive to this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
It will be a financial nightmare for consumers....
The more colours allowed, the more models/production/inventory all equates to higher overheads from manufacturers and stores
At the end of the day, the fans will need to carry this

Imagine that you are colorblind and your opponent plays with a "junk" rubber. Now it makes sense for him to choose rubber colors in a way to prevent you from reading which sides the opponent is using. Nah.

Have they said exactly which colors will be allowed? Color blindness won't be a problem as long as the colors are not to dark and similar to black ones. Hopefully they will only allow very bright colors?

The rule seems odd, if they think the popularity of the sport will raise because of this then I guess the deciders of the sport really are as stupid as people think...

Maybe this is something that the chinese has gotten through because they want to be able to have blue sponge on both sides?

Do anyone know why they are doing this?

“There is an eye-catching proposition being put forward by the Equipment Committee.

The idea is that players will be able to use different-coloured rubbers and not merely black and red as the current rules stipulate.

If approved, this will bring about a very significant change in the visual outlook of our sport.

Can you imagine playing with bright green, orange or even pink rubber?"

https://www.insidethegames.biz/arti...hip-hosts-headlines-ittf-meetings-in-budapest

Yeah right.... All that was missing from the sport, was multi-coloured rubbers.... When the Equipment Committee convenes, they must be smoking pot or something....

Sounds like it could make the sport look silly. I prefer Red and Black.
Also, inventory issues at dealers will appear: "Yes, we have pink, lime green, and fluorescent yellow, but we are out of stock in red."

I'll take one blinding neon yellow and one blinding neon orange, please. :D

I actually watched the AGM today and the lack of debate was astonishing. Yes delegates had the opportunity to vote but it wasn't entirely clear the motivations behind each of the proposals. One delegate repeatedly asked if they had spoken to the players and other delegate said that the administrators had the power and right to do as they see fit for the benefit of the sport. The whole AGM seemed very very unprofessional to me.

Basically I don't care about that as long as my rubbers won't get more expensive.

I am curious though WHY they came up with this change? No one needs that? Only reason I could imagine is that the producers wanted that change to make more profit. Tenergy 05 in fancy color for $100 or something.

This is garbage!
I agree with Tony. It is another scam to get money from the players.
I hope the manufacturers show some sanity and just make red and black.

Surprised that someone in a responsible position from HK would come up with such nonsense.

I suspect the manufacturers see this as a commercial opportunity so will be in favour of it. Sadly we also need to think about officials relationships with the manufacturers and whats in it for them?

If it is for profits, of course they would fine a way to make it work.

Article No, is the item code per model/colour/size
So ie, you have Rubber A, and it comes in 2 colours (black and red) and comes in sizes Max, 1.9mm and 1.7mm, then there will be 6 Article No
Imagine if there is 10 colours now, with 3 sizes options, there will be 30 Article No

Then to make it more confusing, brands has 10+ options of rubbers. So there will be hundreds near thousands of article no per brand.

This will become an inventory nightmare, aging stock, incorrect forecasting, overstocking/understocking
Running costs will increase due to the complex of the whole of the above, thus pricing will increase (this applies for both manufacturer and store).

Another issue - a Min order quantity to produce say 1 article no, is say x thousand pieces per time.
before they will create 6 article no with x thousand each.
Now they might need to create 30 article no, but they can't multiple with x thousand like before (the total market number did not increase, they are now diluting it).
They will need to make less (at higher costs then) or make more quantity and sit with cost of aging inventory. Either way for the manufacturer to work - it is all about money and profits.

Maybe a way to increase growth in the board room is simply just increasing pricing.
Do you think Butterfly had double its sales, or simply just doubled its selling price?

Beware, this is April fool

Hopefully it will not be a whole spectrum of colour that would be awful imo. Perhaps just red, green, yellow, purple, orange or something in non neon varieties. No blue please as tables are now pretty much all blue.

Sales. Could be good especially in weird colours.Will be very interesting to see how identical rubbers in different colours vary. How will heat and light influence performance?
what was outcome re yellow ball?i saw some of the very poor debate but missed the vote sadly.

Yes the whole situation is very complex.However I suspect it will result in greater profits for the manufacturers but not the retailers who will have,as you describe above, a logistical nightmare.As for the players?Who cares about the players?

My choices are yellow and lime.

we wish
since this is tabled at the AGM, voted and passed
this is a REAL thing now

This rule change is just unnecessary, there is nothing wrong with just black and red. I hope at least that each type of rubber will come in black and only one other color, rather than each come in a array of colors. Again this is really stupid and I can see the manufacturers and larger stores profiting from this and the small stores hurting, and also the players not benefiting from all the confusion.

I guess i won't make a lot of friends with this, yet I do think this needs to be said and written.

With very few exceptions by the usual suspects there are almost only negative comments.

Since when has it become so fashionable to be a negative thinker and see every change as burden and not as opportunity.
How depressing. And most of y'all have no experience how it is to play against different colours, all your negativity is based on assumptions and zero experience.

Oh well. Just carry on. It's your life being influenced by your negativity.
[Emoji2]

I think I'll stay offline a while. This BS is too depressing.

Reactions: yoass
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Please don't! We have great things to look forward too, with matches played with material long ago abolished by a decision which we now in retrospect would really understand as a stupid one. We got over material and no longer need to panic into absurd color restrictions.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
I guess i won't make a lot of friends with this, yet I do think this needs to be said and written.

With very few exceptions by the usual suspects there are almost only negative comments.

Since when has it become so fashionable to be a negative thinker and see every change as burden and not as opportunity.
How depressing. And most of y'all have no experience how it is to play against different colours, all your negativity is based on assumptions and zero experience.

Oh well. Just carry on. It's your life being influenced by your negativity.
[Emoji2]

What I like most from our "positive thinking" (sic) friend is this:

While he may not give not even one argument of what the multicolored rubbers will offer to the sport or even explain why he supports the change, nonetheless he has the audacity to call everyone else as "negative thinker" !!!!

The phrase that wins the prize is this: "And most of y'all have no experience how it is to play against different colours, all your negativity is based on assumptions and zero experience."

Lol!!!! Like it would make any difference at all, if the opponent uses red or pink or blue rubber.... Give us a break now dude...

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Like it would make any difference at all, if the opponent uses red or pink or blue rubber....

Exactly. That arbitrary restriction was silly and wrong, and is now lifted. We're back to normal, almost, without fussing over irrelevant details and discussions whether or not a particular shade of red befits the rulebook.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Can different colour dyes effect performance. Would just play the same no?

Used to, but it can be made without any discernible difference nowadays.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Can different colour dyes effect performance. Would just play the same no?

That is actually an interesting question. There used to be rubbers that looked like they weren't dyed at all, they had a sort of brownish/yellow halftransparant hue, if I recall correctly.

Coloured balls play worse; the dye affects the material there. There may be good quality orange ABS balls out there, but if there are I haven't seen them yet.

I fully expect some relation between dye and rubber elasticity, brittleness and so on. How significant, that's a question; and that may differ between dyes. The original 729 was eggplant coloured, very supple, and kept its tack like forever. None of the reds and blacks after ever came near. I've said it many times before: I have a blade with a 35+ years old sheet, it still plays very well, and if it were on sale and allowed I'd definitely consider using it again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
Exactly. That arbitrary restriction was silly and wrong, and is now lifted. We're back to normal, almost, without fussing over irrelevant details and discussions whether or not a particular shade of red befits the rulebook.

What a great idea! Lets forget the "boring" red and black rubbers!!! Why not turn rubbers into fashion items! Just imagine a rubber in Burberry colouring!!!!!
Burberry__4c6971da775b1_1024x1024.jpg