Search for Blade high arc + thick square handle

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Hi,

i am searching a new blade.
I played Butterfly Layer ZLF but the handle is too small. But the blade gives me what I want:

-high arc with topspin
-good spin
-not to fast
-i have to close my racket more when playing topspin and play more to the front then up.

I have big problems with small handles because i am a player who switch vh and rh the angle of the blade.
I can make this very good with Timo Boll and OSP straight squared handles.
Also I like to close my racket on ts and play ts to the front and less to the up.

What I tried with good handles for me:
-Xiom ZX1: to low arc
-Some blades from soulspin like: spin offensive, Various offensive: all too stiff. I have to play ts more to top.
-OSP Blades: OSP Virtuoso: to low arc, OSP Expert: to strong kick, OSP Ultimate: to fast, to low arc
-Donic new Impulse 7.0: way to stiff
-Victas Gear Fiber: way to small handle.

What people tell me to test or I liked when I played them:
-Stiga Blades like Rosewood or Artic Wood: all have round straight handles. I can't switch vh rh good. I make a lot of mistakes. I have no good clue what angle I have with round handles.
-Avalox P550 P500: same as Stiga.. .round handles. But plays good.

Not played and not bought because not sure:
-Timo Boll ZLF: Handle looks good but everybody tell me it has much lower throw then Layer ZLF

I hope for some suggestions what I can try next.

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I agree with Kuba Hajto, try grip tape.

I have the same problem as you and often like a blade but do not like the small handle. Grip tape works, it does take away a little bit of feedback from the blade, but this wont matter much with a carbon blade. With grip tape you can go 2 or 3 layers at the top make it thicker, play around with it a bit. It really really helps, just have to give yourself a few hours/days to adjust.

Also a lot cheaper than a new blade.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Wow... I have the same problems.

Altough I really liked virtuoso handle was a little bit small.

You would like the handle of persso seven. But I cant say throw angle is high.
You would also like yasaka silver carbon or yasaka soft carbon handles. They are squared. They are soft and speed is around off- .

I'm using a yasaka silver carbon right now. I loved the dwelly soft feeling. although handle is squared I needed more height so I went nuts and glued some coffee stirrers than wrapped it with a very thin kinesiology tape.
Now it's great. I'm loving it.
using a thick grip tape with no stirrers makes the handle round. So you can't feel the angle of you blade.

Reactions: rbtitco
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What about getting the handle you want and taking the handle off your Innerforce Layer ZLF and put the handle you want on it? It is not too hard to remove the old handle: heat gun. And it is easy to glue a new one on.

You could probably even ask a company like OSP if they could design the exact handle you wanted and mount it on your blade. It could not hurt to ask.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
In general all wood blades have higher throw, I‘d go for some 7 ply blade like a clipper. Regarding handles... maybe try SK7?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Thanks for feedback:
I tried grip tape several times but I lose feeling and I always go back.
I also let me make new handle on my ZLF Blade but it turned out to change it. It got stiffer. Maybe differed clued by the guy wo made the handle on it.

Thx Yogi for this tip. I will buy a Sanwei Fextra.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have big problems with small handles because i am a player who switch vh and rh the angle of the blade.

Spoken like a true German expressing in English.

If anyone didn't get it vh= Forehand and rh=Backhand.

Anyone wanting to make fun can try joining a German speaking forum and post in German.

I did, and it was probably hilarious, but everyone knows I tried and the OP is getting it done in 2nd or 3rd language.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Juergen,

Another idea is a custom made blade. Europe has several on this forum.

A respectable maker Blades by Charlie sometimes comes to our local club... he made a custom ST handle for a guy who is around TTR 2000 in the German standard... I crave fat handles. This was fat and LONG... Real easy to whip finish with fingers.

Look at some of your European custom makers, they will deliver the goods for a decent price and yu cannot beat the quality and customization.

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
What about getting the handle you want and taking the handle off your Innerforce Layer ZLF and put the handle you want on it?
Another idea is a custom made blade. Europe has several on this forum.
Or both. Ask a blade maker to create a custom handle and swap it onto the ZLF. You get exactly what you want.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Kuba,

You are not considering a blade maker's way to think.

Think about it... If you sold Jaguar autos, then a joker came to you asking you to take off the badges from his Alfa Romero, and replace them with Porsche… then change the headlights to the Porsche style...

… would you REALY be thrilled to do that, instead of replacing that stuff with Ur Jaguar parts?

Maybe a dude in a high end independent garage would jump at that, but not a custom maker.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Kuba,

You are not considering a blade maker's way to think.

Think about it... If you sold Jaguar autos, then a joker came to you asking you to take off the badges from his Alfa Romero, and replace them with Porsche… then change the headlights to the Porsche style...

… would you REALY be thrilled to do that, instead of replacing that stuff with Ur Jaguar parts?

Maybe a dude in a high end independent garage would jump at that, but not a custom maker.

If a luthier used to making mostly custom guitars has no issue with modifying my guitar (i.e. repainiting it) why would a "bladethier" had issue with pimping ones blade. :/ I know it's more beneficial to make whole custom blade, but service work still brings money, especially when you could throw other services like blade blade refinishing etc. As Carl said "It could not hurt to ask". Worst case scenario you will get a cold "No." or big quotation.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I will attempt a better arguement for a custom maker in your region.

I guaren-freeking-tee you and anyone that Bobpuls and any other random dude you pick in Europe could consult with you, hear your specs, design, manufacture, and deliver the wood blade for LESS than what it would cost to separately purchase and mod that blade. Guarantee you two bags of Cheeze-Its on that.

The plus side of that is you are supporting LOCAL BUSINESS. You are getting a UNIQUE equipment. You are getting ART and CRAFTMANSHIP. You are getting HIGH PERFORMANCE. You are getting QUALITY, very HIGH quality. You are getting CUSTOMIZATION to YOUR spec that will FIT YOU and PERFORM the way you expect or better.

Think about it for a few more seconds slowly. What would it feel like to have that done and in your hand ready to go?

If this doesn't get anyone high just thinking about it, chems would never get the job done.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I say all I said in the post above and I am a FREEEKING RE-SELLER of equipment already made. Truth is truth. The brand I sell and anyone selling a brand or brands have positive points to the brand(s) and sure, the one I sell has a lot of plus to it.

... but one should be honest about the advantages of a local or regional or national or continental custom maker.

I recently custom modded the blade handle for a customer, and I hope they really liked it... but that doesn't put me on a level with a custom maker - the custom makers are worlds better than me.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I’m as well finding it very difficult to get information on larger handles. The adidas straight handles is the largest (wide and thick as well as slightly longer) i’ve came across but they’re hard to get. Possibly ITC since it’s the same producer as Adidas but I haven’t seen any afk.

For me as well, grip tape doesn’t quite do the trick. If someone with more knowledge/experience with equipment would focus a bit on handles I would be very interested!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Truer words have never been spoken. I think most people get caught up on brands and don't realize the benefits of having a custom made blade.

But on the other hand I also understand the point of view of the buyer. They have a proof that the Big Brand blade works, they tried it and they like it. The blade from that random guy that makes blades would be a gamble on their money.

I will attempt a better arguement for a custom maker in your region.

I guaren-freeking-tee you and anyone that Bobpuls and any other random dude you pick in Europe could consult with you, hear your specs, design, manufacture, and deliver the wood blade for LESS than what it would cost to separately purchase and mod that blade. Guarantee you two bags of Cheeze-Its on that.

The plus side of that is you are supporting LOCAL BUSINESS. You are getting a UNIQUE equipment. You are getting ART and CRAFTMANSHIP. You are getting HIGH PERFORMANCE. You are getting QUALITY, very HIGH quality. You are getting CUSTOMIZATION to YOUR spec that will FIT YOU and PERFORM the way you expect or better.

Think about it for a few more seconds slowly. What would it feel like to have that done and in your hand ready to go?

If this doesn't get anyone high just thinking about it, chems would never get the job done.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
hypnotic,

Maybe it is proof that I suck as a businessman and am better at being a TT enthusiast. I have the mental deficiency of being inclined to speak my mind on what I believe instead of lying like a politician. (I would make an even lousier politician) I do that even if it doesn't help business or even hurts it.