New Ball for 2014 Confirmed (ITTF Study)

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Apparently the ITTF ball testing and approval coordinator is married to one of the women who owns the patents to the plastic ball, Soo Yook I think her name is. Anyway it's a huge conflict of interest because he stands to make money from the ball production if her ball is approved (by him). The Federation of Table Tennis Manufacturers has given them a 14 day period to resolve or negotiate the situation. I read this off the OOAK forum a few days ago.

More conflicts of interest at the ITTF > . <

Reactions: WiWa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Apparently the ITTF ball testing and approval coordinator is married to one of the women who owns the patents to the plastic ball, Soo Yook I think her name is. Anyway it's a huge conflict of interest because he stands to make money from the ball production if her ball is approved (by him). The Federation of Table Tennis Manufacturers has given them a 14 day period to resolve or negotiate the situation. I read this off the OOAK forum a few days ago.

More conflicts of interest at the ITTF > . <

there are different patents antagonizing each other and the best "patent" will earn the rights from the ITTF?

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
there are different patents antagonizing each other and the best "patent" will earn the rights from the ITTF?

No I think there are just 2 people holding the patent for the plastic ball jointly under the company of the wife.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
did i find the real new balls?

Hi,

I recently found the following offer on ebay and just ordered a set, because of the low price.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/300891754059?var=600103875435

The seller told me, when asked, that those should be in fact the new plastic balls. Also the description states: "Material: Durable plastic"

When they arrived in the mail today, I tested their feel against some Butterfly 3* balls i got at home. They DHS feel more smooth and harder than the Butterfly.

I've added some pictures.
Can anyone tell by the packaging or balls, whether the balls I received are plastic or not?

Foto 1.jpgFoto 2.jpgFoto 3.jpgFoto 4.jpgFoto 6.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Can anyone tell by the packaging or balls, whether the balls I received are plastic or not?

Can't really judge it through the picture, but if you have it at hand, you are able to see whether they are seamless or not (without the connecting point in the middle of the ball like the celluloid ball)..
If it is seamless then it is the new ball.. Most probably..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Can't really judge it through the picture, but if you have it at hand, you are able to see whether they are seamless or not (without the connecting point in the middle of the ball like the celluloid ball)..
If it is seamless then it is the new ball.. Most probably..

They have a seam, but I think the DHS ones do have a seam in contrast to the Palio balls. I would appreciate, if someone who's got DHS plastic balls posted a picture as well for comparison.

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
Wally said:
Hi,

I recently found the following offer on ebay and just ordered a set, because of the low price.

The seller told me, when asked, that those should be in fact the new plastic balls. Also the description states: "Material: Durable plastic"

When they arrived in the mail today, I tested their feel against some Butterfly 3* balls i got at home. They DHS feel more smooth and harder than the Butterfly.

these are not plastic balls because they have connecting point in the middle .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
It could either go in two directions I think. The game will become a lot slower and hopefully attract audience. Or it just becomes very difficult to play and a lot less spectacular shots occur. I mean a lot of good tt shots have gone viral lately boosting the awarness of our amazing sport.

Not only would a slower game attract an audience, but it could reduce the importance of athleticism in favor of intelligence and intuition. So, yes, the game will change, but I find the prospect of a greater emphasis on thought very interesting if it could allow older, smarter, more experienced players to have a resurgence in their careers. This would also imply a lengthened competition life for all players in the future, and as such, more competition (in terms of the sheer number of players). Yet another implication is that the game would develop in a different manner (aside from the change in ball itself), since we think much differently about things at, say, 35-40 rather than 20-25.

[Yes, there are coaches who's job is to think about just that, but there is a great difference in developing and innovating upon a sport when you are fully fit versus unfit.]

Heck, I just wanna see Wang Hao win his Grand Slam at 40.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
DHS had already announced in late April that their new poly ball will have SEAM like our celluloid balls. The process of approval start in May and probably will go into production later this year (Sept to Dec). Had ittf officially given up SEAMLESS or thing can still go either way until the approval process is final?

DHS New Ball.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Hi,

View attachment 3947View attachment 3948View attachment 3949View attachment 3950View attachment 3951

there are normal balls, not plastic. that's my opinion because transparency and seam. packaging indicates also something about olimpics...

says Aging is a killer
Not only would a slower game attract an audience, but it could reduce the importance of athleticism in favor of intelligence and intuition. So, yes, the game will change, but I find the prospect of a greater emphasis on thought very interesting if it could allow older, smarter, more experienced players to have a resurgence in their careers. This would also imply a lengthened competition life for all players in the future, and as such, more competition (in terms of the sheer number of players). Yet another implication is that the game would develop in a different manner (aside from the change in ball itself), since we think much differently about things at, say, 35-40 rather than 20-25.

[Yes, there are coaches who's job is to think about just that, but there is a great difference in developing and innovating upon a sport when you are fully fit versus unfit.]

Heck, I just wanna see Wang Hao win his Grand Slam at 40.

I sounds like it will be a game for fat old geezers.

But seriously, my guess is that the game will require less thought/intelligence as spin will be far less of a factor. The longer rallies will emphasise endurance of mind and body.
Let's all be happy and say a hearty welcome back to all those forgotten chiselers who nearly killed off the game back in the sixties.