Miu Hirano creates history winning the Asian Championships 2017!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Im courius, what is Ding Ning complaining/says with her coach after the match

she said that hirano was lucky and before that she says that her attacks were beyond her imagination. I dont take such comments seriously because they are made right after a painful defeat Im sure ding ning will really grasp what is going on when she analyzes the video

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
last set ding ning miu hirano

HIRANO

unforced errors 7

FH winners 3

BH winners 4

receive mistakes 1

net/edge balls 1

DING NING

unforced errors 1

FH winners

BH winners 1

receive mistakes 3

net edge balls 1

Now statistics are definitely not depicting 100% accurately what is going on in a match but they can give you an idea of +- of the players and then you can analyse further and complete an accurate "puzzle" of a match.

Hirano attacks everything early and definitely needs to work on her patience, ding ning moved her around but when she was focused and didnt haste the attack she dominated the table. Ding ning lost but the stats show how consistent she is, if she managed to read the serve better the match would probably go her way.

On the other hand if hirano matures a bit and learns how to adapt on each ball, she is definitely going to destroy many cnt women in the future. The 5th set especially in rallies was hirano all the way, ding ning scored only 1 winner !

So there is definitely a huge room for improvement for miu since she is only 17 yo. The 3-0 over zhu yuling and chen meng maybe indicate that she was better mentally and waited a bit more for the ball before killing it

All in all, when u lose and the opponent has 7 unforced errors, its definitely not the ball to blame nor the luck, the only player I have personally witnessed that is such a beast close to the table was LXX, hirano maybe is already on a higher level

The above analysis misses the whole point by saying that Hirano should learn to be more patient. It is her kamikaze approach that is her strength, she takes the Chinese approach to the next level similar to the men's game where while the Japanese would like you to make 100 shots in a row, the Chinese will like you to make 10 powerful shots in a row 70% of the time. It was the relentless of the pressure that drove her opponents mad, being more patient would have given Ding Ning the time to show her experience with better placement and heavy spin shots.

Ding Ning has always been a bit of a defender of the tradition of Zhang Yining but with a lefty game and possibly a bit more aggression. But Hirano is a playing male table tennis, going for first strikes and not caring about the misses with the goal of being able to win more points on average than her opponent, miss or make the shot. The misses are built into the style and are a feature, not a bug. The thing is that if she gets better at doing it, it might get so accurate that it looks like something other than what it is. Think of a female Fan Zhendong and then Hirano's style becomes clearer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
@NextLevel

i wonder how HIRANO Miu will be playing against defenders

IT is a great question, I really think it depends on the quality of the defender because she probably kills her teammates and has killed some defenders on the tour, though she struggled with Han Ying at the last World Tour final and could not take a game I believe - that could have been travel exhaustion though given the proximity to the WJTTC, but regardless, for me, Han Ying is the gold standard for defenders on the Women's tour, even more than Wu Yang, because Han goes out of her way to drive you crazy. When playing defenders, the power of the topspin counts for a lot, and I think in part that is where you see how powerful LSW really is in addition to her touch and versatilty. I think that whatever struggles Hirano has will pass as her topspin gets more and more powerful. She has lots of defensive practice partners so they will address it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
NL im only talking about micro adjustments on timing. by patience i definitely dont mean striking when the ball id at its highest point if u watch the slow mo hirano makes tons of edge paddle misses. so its a matter of channeling the fzd instinct as you described it. fzd had lots of misses in easy balls at the same age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NL im only talking about micro adjustments on timing. by patience i definitely dont mean striking when the ball id at its highest point if u watch the slow mo hirano makes tons of edge paddle misses. so its a matter of channeling the fzd instinct as you described it. fzd had lots of misses in easy balls at the same age.

Understood. What you call patience is what I call getting better at what you do. Comes with mastery of your stroke and your seeing the ball better. Which all comes with age. You can't tell people to do it, they just become better with practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
As a chinese ethnic Australian I just want to say...well done Miu! Against Ding Ning it was sheer brilliance gilded with psychological stability and daring to go for high quality shots under intense pressure. There can be many analyses what went wrong for the Chinese but it was 99.999 Miu who made it happen. I await your further successes with anticipation!
I would like to see another real competitor at the elite level!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Miu's success is that she is playing a male's game - will spotted NL
I don't think patience is a problem, that was her strategy.
Based on her experience and age, the unforced error is understandable and this should improve.
We also need to know that she is still growing and there are still lots of power that could be added in the future.
Her speed did surprise me

Miu was playing a higher risk, but higher reward game.
Any thing that comes onto the forehand, she will attacked with no mercy.

DN is indeed a more passive player, but I was surprise when she beat ZYL and CM so comfortably.
I think LSW (with her speed) and possibly the retired LXX as someone who can go head on head with an informed Miu

Miu does need to work on many errors to improve.
Also, one element was she had the element of surprise. Especially she has not won a single game against the 3 of them before on international level

Come the next time, CNT will be more prepared for her.
So the challenge is on, can Miu continue to master new techniques.

BTW, she has a team of 6 support staff.
1 x head coach
1 x Physio
1 x personal trainer
2 x practice partner
I actually can't remember what the 6th was lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Miu's success is that she is playing a male's game - will spotted NL
I don't think patience is a problem, that was her strategy.
Based on her experience and age, the unforced error is understandable and this should improve.
We also need to know that she is still growing and there are still lots of power that could be added in the future.
Her speed did surprise me

Miu was playing a higher risk, but higher reward game.
Any thing that comes onto the forehand, she will attacked with no mercy.

DN is indeed a more passive player, but I was surprise when she beat ZYL and CM so comfortably.
I think LSW (with her speed) and possibly the retired LXX as someone who can go head on head with an informed Miu

Miu does need to work on many errors to improve.
Also, one element was she had the element of surprise. Especially she has not won a single game against the 3 of them before on international level

Come the next time, CNT will be more prepared for her.
So the challenge is on, can Miu continue to master new techniques.

BTW, she has a team of 6 support staff.
1 x head coach
1 x Physio
1 x personal trainer
2 x practice partner
I actually can't remember what the 6th was lol

haha, thanks for the info tony I guess to beat the cnt army you definitely need a japanese army behind you. Someone also mentioned that hirano is the only full sponsored player by japan for tokyo2020 inside the women JNT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
haha, thanks for the info tony I guess to beat the cnt army you definitely need a japanese army behind you. Someone also mentioned that hirano is the only full sponsored player by japan for tokyo2020 inside the women JNT

I'm not sure what "full sponsored player" is referring to.

But my sources (team mate / mates of a celebrity wedding of which the bride is from JNT) stated that JNT gave 6 boys and 7 girls (or is it the other way around), total of 13 players with a huge budget per player for a 8 year plan to Tokyo 2020. These 13 does not include your Ai's and Ishikawa's etc, these are all younger players.

This is the reason why you have all these "kids" playing in every international possible for the past 2 years already. This must be some sort of record.

In WJTTC for example, of the 8 kids, JNT contingent was over 40 people.
I saw 1 player with 2 to 3 adults per table at the warm up hall.
Then there is camera crew - recording every table of "concern".
I saw someone making notes - per player's match. And the notes are pages per game, not just point form.
I also saw lots of parents/family that travel with to support

If Miu is "full sponsorship", then I can tell you JNT 10% sponsorship is more than your average international player lol

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
OK, here's how it works.

When you see a Japanese player at the PT practice hall, he/she got there by one of these way:

1) National team/Junior national team
Funded by JTTA. Need to be in the squad to be eligible.
Eg. Mizutani, Niwa, Ito.

2) Elite Academy
This is the big one. Funded by JOC. It was formed with the new National Training Center which takes juniors from TT as well as other sports (Fencing, Wrestling etc) and train them with state of art facilities and coaches until 18. It's been hit & miss for TT and it's only recently that they started to develop top players.
Eg. Harimoto, Hirano, Hamamoto.

3) Schools/Corporates
They have been the biggest development force in Japan for a long time. Only a few years ago, majority of mens NT are from same high school(Mizutani, Niwa, Matsudaira, Yoshida). They too have a set budget so that the students can gain international experience as well as earn ranking points. Corporate teams usualy sign a contract with players which allow them to participate in several tournaments par year.
Eg.Ueda, Morizono.

4)Individual sponsorships

Technicaly there are 2 subtypes that fall under this category. One is a professional player who earns a living by playing abroad and hires his own crew but only Mizutani does that. The other one was started by none other than Ai Fukuhara. She was attracting nation's attention since she was 4 as a TT prodigy and turned pro by the age of 10. Since then, she formed Team Fukuhara and was copied by other top women (Ishikawa, Ito, Hirano).

Of course some of them overlaps(Ishikawa was under 1/3/4 until 18) and that's why you see huge number of junior players as some are funded by JNT and some by Elite Academy. JTTA has stated that the selection criteria for WC and olympic is world rankings so that's why they tried to particpate in as many PTs as possible.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
it is not luck Hirano beat three top Chinese players, she was sharp, fast, good reaction, good concentration, she was in top form, on the other hand, Chinese players ( including man team ) this time they were not sharp at all. We can not judge with one one match to say who is the best now, Hirano may not be easy to deal with Chopper player, the game will be slow, it may not be her cup of tea at all. We have to wait to see few more tournament first before we can see who is the best. So far she played very very well that day in the tournament. Player can play very well the first day or the first match but totally hopeless at the next game.