SDC Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Probably the cost? Dunno much. Kiri is really good as a middle core and i like it better than ayous.

I'm liking it more and more. I've played with Blade 16 and it's my favorite so far. Regarding speed and control is in the All+ range, but without that hollow feeling and sound that most of the blades in that category has. It's like a tamed clipper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Is both Kiri and Ayous regarded as mid speed or slower woods?

It's not a simple yes or no answer. Kiri is slightly heavier and harder than balsa, and ayous is slightly heavier and harder than kiri. All else being equal, an ayous blade will be faster, but you get to a point where if you increase thickness the blade becomes too heavy. You have to balance those aspects and also the feeling of the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
My first ALC blades. I had some trouble when routing the edges. Any tips from other builders to get clean edges when using composites?

I also made some more experiments with dyed handles. Still not what i'm looking for, the color is not bright enough.

Blade 18 - Maple/ALC/Beech/Balsa/Beech/ALC/Maple - 84.0g - 6.0mm - 1470 Hz

Blade 18.jpg

Blade 19 - Brazilian Cherry/ALC/Mahogany/Kiri/Mahogany/ALC/Brazilian Cherry - 88.0g - 5.6mm - 1330 Hz

Blade 19.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
First of all good job making those blades. They look pretty good. In terms of getting clean edges usually an quality router bit helps. I used sandpaper to finish of the edges to get a clean look.

Thanks Giangt. I will buy a quality router bit, mine are crappy chinese bits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
What Robert is saying is probably the cheapest way to do it.

I find diamond sharpening stones the best for sharpening router cutters. Something like 400 and 1000 grit or they are often sold as coarse and fine. You can pick up a decent set for around 40 euros, you'll get sharp cutters and the stones will last a very long time. If you want them really sharp hone with polishing compound and a strop.

Reactions: bobpuls and Giangt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I find diamond sharpening stones the best for sharpening router cutters. Something like 400 and 1000 grit or they are often sold as coarse and fine. You can pick up a decent set for around 40 euros, you'll get sharp cutters and the stones will last a very long time. If you want them really sharp hone with polishing compound and a strop.

I've done that with good results. However, in the case of template bits there's a limit. You can't sharpen them very much with risk of reducing the original diameter, relative to the bearing. Also, sharpening one side more than the other may cause imbalance in the bits.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I've done that with good results. However, in the case of template bits there's a limit. You can't sharpen them very much with risk of reducing the original diameter, relative to the bearing. Also, sharpening one side more than the other may cause imbalance in the bits.

Absolutely right, after a while there's no alternative but to buy a new bit. I have four trim bits and alternate them
I used to find varnishing the outer ply with pu varnish before gluing helped reduce any bleed through and helped with cleaner edges when routing. When finished just sand the varnish away. Also using a band saw to trim to within about 2 or 3mm of the template meant that i had less material to move on the router table and therefore got a cleaner cut.
However, sometimes the wood just doesn't want to do what you want it to do.

Reactions: hipnotic
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Finally got my hands on some limba!

Blade 20 - Limba/Limba x2/WRC/Limba x2/Limba - 91.7g - 5.9mm - 1120Hz

Blade 20.jpg

Blade 21 - Mahogany/Beech/Spruce/Beech/Mahogany - 90.2g - 5.8mm - 1200Hz

Blade 21.jpg

Blade 22 - Limba/Basalt Fibre/Limba/Kiri x3/Limba/Basalt Fibre/Limba - 90.9g - 5.8mm - 1230Hz

Blade 22.jpg

Blade 23 - Limba/Limba/Basalt Fibre/Kiri x3/Basalt Fibre/Limba/Limba - 93.0g - 5.8mm - 1160Hz

Blade 23.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
How do you feel - both blades turned out the same? This is not your first time doing this? My husband also wants to do it himself, because he bought twice, and they were of poor quality and poorly glued. Where did you order the materials?
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
great work hipnotic! Very professional looking. Some interesting combinations, it will be good to know how they play.

Thanks GinjaNinja. I already got the chance to try the first 2. Blade 20 plays like a stiffer Korbel, the composition is similar but the WRC gives it a little more power and less hollow feeling. It's great away from the table. Blade 21 is faster than it's frequency suggests. It feels a little bit unstable in the high gears, no my cup of tea.

As for the 2 other blades i have a feeling they will play great. These triple kiri core blades are really different from everything else out there, the feeling is just great and the power/control ratio is perfect for my game. I'm very curious about the basalt fibre, which is softer than ALC, and the differences between inner/outer fibre composition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
How do you feel - both blades turned out the same? This is not your first time doing this? My husband also wants to do it himself, because he bought twice, and they were of poor quality and poorly glued. Where did you order the materials?
View attachment 19576

The 2 "twin" blades had exactly the same weight before gluing the handles, so i was very happy with the consistency. I sourced the materials from lots of places, just search for the blade builders thread wich has a lot of information regarding construction and materials.