Please help me choose my perfect setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Hey guys,
I'm gonna buy a new setup very soon.
So I've chosen Viscaria FL as the balde and now I'm a bit confused between the rubbers.
My current setup is - Timo Boll ZLC, Omega V Asia (Forehand) and Rakza 7 (Backhand).
And now I've been planning to select one out of these variants - Evolution MX-P 50°, Rasanter R47, Goldarc 8 50° - for forehand. I've used Rasanter R47 and Evolution MX-P 47.5° but never tried any DHS rubber, so I'm a bit confused as the reviews for Goldarc 8 are better than these two everywhere. But to be very honest, I just wanted only one rubber for my forehand and that is Dignics 05 but it's way too costly at almost all the sites and it's not available on the site I trust - Tabletennis11.
Rest, Rakza 7 suits me the best for my backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why do you need to change rubber at all?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Go with the goldarc 8. Internet reviews are extremely reliable and you should always uae them when selecting equipment.

Reactions: yoass
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is interesting: you are asking people to help you and yet you have not said anything about how you play. How should any of us know what would be useful to you if we know nothing about how you play, what level you are, etc.

The first thing: Do you know that the Viscaria is slower than the TB ZLC? Are you slowing your setup down on purpose?

What is your goal in changing setups? What do you want to achieve by changing?

How long have you played?

What level would you say you are?

Do you play an offensive game? Defensive? Allround?

How well do you loop backspin?

How well do you return serves?

Wouldn't getting you a setup that is "perfect" or good for you, have something to do with matching the setup to your needs as a player? Wouldn't the perfect setup for one player be a terrible setup for another since everyone has different skills and needs?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
It is interesting: you are asking people to help you and yet you have not said anything about how you play. How should any of us know what would be useful to you if we know nothing about how you play, what level you are, etc.

The first thing: Do you know that the Viscaria is slower than the TB ZLC? Are you slowing your setup down on purpose?

Wouldn't getting you a setup that is "perfect" or good for you, have something to do with matching the setup to your needs as a player? Wouldn't the perfect setup for one player be a terrible setup for another since everyone has different skills and needs?

I'm an offensive player, playing since last 6 years, I'm good at playing backhand but with a little weak forehand technique and I'm working upon it. I'm a provincial level player. And also I'm quite good at returning serves.
And I've tried playing with Viscaria, it gives much more feel than Timo Boll ZLC. But I haven't tried Hurricane Long 5, so I want to be clear enough to choose between the two!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm an offensive player, playing since last 6 years, I'm good at playing backhand but with a little weak forehand technique and I'm working upon it. I'm a provincial level player. And also I'm quite good at returning serves.
And I've tried playing with Viscaria, it gives much more feel than Timo Boll ZLC. But I haven't tried Hurricane Long 5, so I want to be clear enough to choose between the two!

Okay. Then, if you are that level, you would probably know someone with a Viscaria and someone with an HL5 or a W968. Get them to let you hit with theirs for 5 min so you can feel each blade. You should be able to decide which you like better if you try both. It sounds like you have tried Viscaria. So, maybe all you need to try is HL5.

Then all you have to do is figure out what FH rubber since you are decided on BH rubber. All of the rubbers you are looking at are good. Since you seem to have tried the others but have not tried Gold Arc 8, see if you know someone who has that to try it and see if you like it or not.

If you are at a level where you play provincially, then you should have access to players who have a broad range of equipment. Try before you buy is always a good strategy. Something that sounds good in a review may or may not suit your needs. But if you try it you will know for yourself whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

On his previous thread he said he wants to play more “fast and dominant” and that he “wants to be a looping machine like ma long”

Sounds more like an EJ virus more than anything. he doesn’t even know what he wants and doesn’t know his equipments yet

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
On his previous thread he said he wants to play more “fast and dominant” and that he “wants to be a looping machine like ma long”

Sounds more like an EJ virus more than anything. he doesn’t even know what he wants and doesn’t know his equipments yet

Thanks for commenting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This. Can we please make this a sticky? Or some kind of FAQ where players/forum members get answers to the most general questions before starting "new" threads about what equipment they should get? Saves everyones time.

Something that sounds good in a review may or may not suit your needs. But if you try it you will know for yourself whether you like it or not.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This. Can we please make this a sticky? Or some kind of FAQ where players/forum members get answers to the most general questions before starting "new" threads about what equipment they should get? Saves everyones time.

It is a great idea. And all of us people who know the site would read it. But, over the years, I have noticed how many new members post first and read later. :)

Think about how there is a "Say Hello to The Forum" thread and how many new members simply make their own new thread that says something like: "Hello from Saigon". Often they never post again. :)

One of the places I teach is a gym called Crunch. On every single yoga room, there is a sign in big letters on the door that says, "NO SHOES ALLOWED IN THE YOGA ROOM." There are even shoe racks next to the door. All the members who have been coming for years know the sign is there and know why not to wear shoes into a yoga room. I like to tell new members it is because of how, at some point in class their faces will become intimate with the ground. Then when it happens, I say, "see, this is why you don't really want to wear shoes into the room!"

But none of the new members who don't already practice yoga ever see the sign that is in bold letters right above the handle they have to grab to open the door!!!! And if they see the shoe racks, maybe the scratch their head and wonder what it is doing there. :)

So, nice in theory. But......I guess we are humans.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
Great. Let's close the forum. There is nothing more to discuss. Everyone has to try all possible combinations of equipment themselves. Saves us time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Whatever. Like there aren't other things to discuss :) It's nonsense asking other how equipment feel. That's where revspin comes in to make it easy. Everything concludes the same way, when all is said and done it's strictly subjective. You'll never feel the same about my blade like I do for instance. So what do you wanna know about Viscaria or W968 that isn't already mentioned in one of the hundreds of threads that already mentioned that? Do you think starting a new thread about how a Viscaria feels is a good idea?

Great. Let's close the forum. There is nothing more to discuss. Everyone has to try all possible combinations of equipment themselves. Saves us time.

Reactions: JST
This user has no status.
Whatever. Like there aren't other things to discuss :) It's nonsense asking other how equipment feel. That's where revspin comes in to make it easy. Everything concludes the same way, when all is said and done it's strictly subjective. You'll never feel the same about my blade like I do for instance. So what do you wanna know about Viscaria or W968 that isn't already mentioned in one of the hundreds of threads that already mentioned that? Do you think starting a new thread about how a Viscaria feels is a good idea?
Yes, I do actually. As long as there are people wanting to discuss the matter. If you don't then don't. You don't need to be a part of every thread.